Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
heeby
Connoisseur
heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Accidentally deleted dictionaries k4nt

SOLVED the problem. I wanted a backup Kindle anyway so I bought another one...opened the files to look around and both dictionaries were there in "documents" as azw files. I saved them to computer then hooked up the first Kindle with the missing tomes and copied them in and all works fine. If anyone else has deleted theirs accidentally as well I would be happy to send you a copy so you can reinstall. I don't see that this is violating any ethical concerns as it's simply restoring what was there not pirating something.

Again I have to take the blame for not paying attention to the warning message that said it would delete them. I was fiddling with Calibre at the same time I just assumed a factory reset would put it in the same condition it came out of the box in. Don't know why it deletes the dictionaries but not the Guide etc. Live and learn.

Plus side is the screens are BEAUTIFUL on the ones I kept. It took me 2 returns each time to find each good one so I had to buy 6 bleeding Kindles to get two with great screens, but they are nearly as white as my computer screen and very bold. The first two in each go were murky, greenish and bad contrast. Horrid quality control Amazon...shame on you...or shame on e-ink. I don't know if it is a QC issue e-ink has across the board of if Amazon bought a cheaper "binning" of screens but in any case it's a mess. I would have given up if I was doing this via post...being able to go right back in and change them made the difference.

Last edited by heeby; 03-30-2012 at 10:59 PM.
heeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
I did the same thing on a 4NT. Amazon support tried their best but in the end they said it wasn't possible to restore them. Seems to me a simple download would do it.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Last time I lost access to archived items on the kindle, I had to do a complete reset of the kindle and relink it to my amazon account. Then I could re-download the dictionary from the archive.

Have you checked your amazon account via the web to see if the dictionaries are listed in the archive there?
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
In my case the dictionaries are listed in my list of digital books at manage your Kindle. If I cursor on a purchased item "actions" one of the choices is "deliver to my". This choice is not offered on the dictionaries. Just delete, or clear furthest page read. So it's up there, but not accessible.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The dictionaries should be in the "Archive". Just redownload them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Another variant which definitely works is using the K4PC app to get dictionaries, then treat them in a way so you can put them on the Kindle. This is on the edge of what is allowed to discuss here, so you have to put the loose ends together by yourself. Anyway, here is a reference to the thread where it was initially discussed: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168044

The method works for all dictionaries supported in the K4PC application. (Clarification: IIRC, that's Oxford/Oxford American/german/french/italian/spanish ones; I may have missed some).

Last edited by ixtab; 03-30-2012 at 12:43 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
heeby
Connoisseur
heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

I just got the device from Target and have not registered so there is nothing in the archives. Thanks ixtab I will have a look. It's not like I am asking for something that was not already there so you would think someone would have it in a file I could just drag and drop. Should have backed them up immediately. I figured a factory reset would put it back to how it was out of the box...my mistake.

I also only have a linux laptop and no windows so cant use kindle for PC....haven't been able to make it work with WINE. I also have no intention of registering or having an Amazon account. I just liked the hardware and get my books at Baen and other places.

Everything is a hassle. Just want to plug and move and drag and drop stuff. Surely someone out there has the dictionaries saved.

Last edited by heeby; 03-30-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
The dictionaries are accessible from the Manage Your Kindle Page. I have deleted it by accident and was able to resend it from my MYK page like any other Amazon book. You will have to register your Kindle to get it back.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The dictionaries are accessible from the Manage Your Kindle Page. I have deleted it by accident and was able to resend it from my MYK page like any other Amazon book. You will have to register your Kindle to get it back.
Yes, I can confirm that's true. My dictionary mysteriously disappeared after a firmware update, and that's how I got it back.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #10
heeby
Connoisseur

Updated first post.

Last edited by heeby; 03-30-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
heeby
Connoisseur

Updated first post.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeby View Post
Plus side is the screens are BEAUTIFUL on the ones I kept. It took me 2 returns each time to find each good one so I had to buy 6 bleeding Kindles to get two with great screens, but they are nearly as white as my computer screen and very bold. The first two in each go were murky, greenish and bad contrast. Horrid quality control Amazon...shame on you...or shame on e-ink. I don't know if it is a QC issue e-ink has across the board of if Amazon bought a cheaper "binning" of screens but in any case it's a mess. I would have given up if I was doing this via post...being able to go right back in and change them made the difference.
I actually own one of those murky, greenish and bad contrast K4s. Changing the font has helped me tolerate it. I do want to let you know the back of the K4s are stainable. I'm not sure if it's just my unit or my case but I bought my K4 in October and it now had black stains on the back of it. I seldom take mine out of the case so I have no idea how it happens. I don't own a cheap case either. I see me upgrading to a KT soon.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:51 PM   #13
heeby
Connoisseur

Quote:
I actually own one of those murky, greenish and bad contrast K4s. Changing the font has helped me tolerate it. I do want to let you know the back of the K4s are stainable. I'm not sure if it's just my unit or my case but I bought my K4 in October and it now had black stains on the back of it. I seldom take mine out of the case so I have no idea how it happens. I don't own a cheap case either. I see me upgrading to a KT soon.
Thanks for the info. I got the Amazon leather non light case for it. Is that what you use? I did notice that after putting it in the case it felt twice as heavy...which shows how light the Kindle itself really is. Not sure if I will use it naked or clothed. I wanted protection but it is so light naked. Considering a silicone skin instead. Options options options.

And regarding the screen if you have the option I wouldn't settle for a bad screen...can you return it? It is night and day between those I returned and those I kept. If the bad ones were all I knew existed I would have decided to stick with paper books as reading on them hurt my eyes. But the good ones are superb...better than I imagined possible when checking out demos...certainly better than any demo in the stores.

Last edited by heeby; 03-30-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:55 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeby View Post
Thanks for the info. I got the Amazon leather non light case for it. Is that what you use? I did notice that after putting it in the case it felt twice as heavy...which shows how light the Kindle itself really is. Not sure if I will use it naked or clothed. I wanted protection but it is so light naked. Considering a silicone skin instead. Options options options.
No I have a Marware Eco-Flip Case. I love my case if not for the fact my K4's back looks faded with black splotches. I do have a Decalgirl skin extra back piece I can put on it for protection.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:37 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
No I have a Marware Eco-Flip Case. I love my case if not for the fact my K4's back looks faded with black splotches. I do have a Decalgirl skin extra back piece I can put on it for protection.
I have the Marware case, too - the "normal" one, not the flip one - on my Touch. Excellent case and very reasonably priced.