Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
azxswq
Connoisseur
azxswq began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1 Black, T2 Black
Sony PRS-T1 and Kindle Touch CPU

Hi,

Is this the right way? I was told to post a new thread in the dev corner?

Do you guys know what cpu/processor is Sony PRS-T1 and Kindle Touch (SO) using?

Both seems to be Freescale / ARM family based. (Kindle Keyboard is documented on the matrix as i.MX35.) But because both are so new, I couldn't find anything on the web.

Just thought you guys might know.

Thank you so much in advance.
azxswq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I have not seen any info on the SoCs. Note that the Kobo and B&N Touch devices are relatively new and both use a 800 MHz clock, but the Kobo (and the iRiver HD) have a Freescale i.MX508 vs a TI OMAP3621 on the B&N. If I had to guess I would vote for the Freescale on the Kindle and (perhaps) the TI on the Sony.

EDIT: the Kindle 4 is using an i.MX50 family cpu, see Analyzing Kindle 4.0. Probably the same on the Kindle Touch.

Last edited by wallcraft; 09-30-2011 at 06:56 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I have not seen any info on the SoCs. Note that the Kobo and B&N Touch devices are relatively new and both use a 800 MHz clock, but the Kobo (and the iRiver HD) have a Freescale i.MX508 vs a TI OMAP3621 on the B&N. If I had to guess I would vote for the Freescale on the Kindle and (perhaps) the TI on the Sony.

EDIT: the Kindle 4 is using an i.MX50 family cpu, see Analyzing Kindle 4.0. Probably the same on the Kindle Touch.
Your link there (corrected above) gives this info on clock:

The Kindle 4 is built for the iMX50 (800MHz ARM Cortex A8) platform.
The Kindle 3 is iMX35 (532MHz ARM).
The Kindle 2/DX is iMX3 (400MHz ARM).

I assume those are the actual in-device running clock rates.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
azxswq
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
Your link there (corrected above) gives this info on clock:

The Kindle 4 is built for the iMX50 (800MHz ARM Cortex A8) platform.
The Kindle 3 is iMX35 (532MHz ARM).
The Kindle 2/DX is iMX3 (400MHz ARM).

I assume those are the actual in-device running clock rates.

-Pie
Thank you.

Does anybody know what PRS-T1 is packing?

It's curious, K-Touch was out 2 days ago, and we already know, but not PRS-T1 when it is announced back in Aug. 31st..
Old 10-01-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by azxswq View Post

It's curious, K-Touch was out 2 days ago, and we already know, but not PRS-T1 when it is announced back in Aug. 31st..
I found multiple articles that say the T-1 uses a 1GHz Intel processor, but no specifics on exactly which specific "1GHz Intel processor."
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 01:15 AM   #6
azxswq
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I found multiple articles that say the T-1 uses a 1GHz Intel processor, but no specifics on exactly which specific "1GHz Intel processor."
I see that, and I am 95% sure that this is a typo. It is part of the software requirements for PCs running at 1Ghz or higher to support the T1. (So when the text was aggregated together, it was not digested carefully.) Newegg has the T1 spec on a separate window... and Intel 1Ghz is there as well.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, if this was the case, it is the FIRST cpu/processor on the entire ebook reader matrix that has an Intel inside.

So, I don't think this is true. (Given the nature of ebook readers, I am not surprised no body asked or tear down the device...)

CORRECTION: Fujitsu FLEPia has a Intel XScale RISC CPU, but I don't know the clock speed on that one. And It is for the color ebook display as well, so it is possible, still think it is unlikely.

Last edited by azxswq; 10-01-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:18 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I see that, and I am 95% sure that this is a typo. It is part of the software requirements for PCs running at 1Ghz or higher to support the T1. (So when the text was aggregated together, it was not digested carefully.)

Correct me if I am wrong.
You are probably correct.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-01-2011 at 01:20 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Looks like this.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
azxswq
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Looks like this.
Thanks for the spec page, it is very detailed. But I don't see the link or evidence that Sony PRS-T1 is using this... Trust me, I do believe you! I just don't see any thing explicitly linked the two. (To be fair, it is not like I know Kindle 4 is using i.Mx50 family for sure as well.)

Am I missing something obvious here? Are you showing me the result of some cpu/kernel dump that I don't have access to? So you are basically saying that Kindle 4 and PRS-T1 are roughly the same, right? 800MhZ, Dual core, Cortex...

Thanks anyways!

Last edited by azxswq; 10-04-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
But I don't see the link or evidence that Sony PRS-T1 is using this...
You can check out the PRS-T1 GPL Sources to find evidence. The new reader uses u-boot as the bootloader, so you can check out i.MX50 related modules in u-boot.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
azxswq
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
You can check out the PRS-T1 GPL Sources to find evidence. The new reader uses u-boot as the bootloader, so you can check out i.MX50 related modules in u-boot.
Got it. Will do. Appreciate the tip!
Old 11-12-2011, 07:22 AM   #12
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
The T1 definitely has a 800MHz Freescale MX50 ARMv7

cat /proc/cpuinfo yields

Code:
Processor	: ARMv7 Processor rev 5 (v7l)
BogoMIPS	: 799.53
Features	: swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 
CPU implementer	: 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant	: 0x2
CPU part	: 0xc08
CPU revision	: 5

Hardware	: Freescale MX50 ARM2 Board
Revision	: 50011
Serial		: 0000000000000000

Edit: RAM seems to be 256MB

Android version 2.2.1

Last edited by uboot; 11-13-2011 at 05:45 PM.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs t1 kindle touch cpu