Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
I'm in the market: lightweight, multiple file formats, Linux host support

HEAVY was the number one thing I noticed about the Nook I saw at a B&N store, though it otherwise impressed me. Yes, I'm a big strong guy, but holding that thing for hours would annoy me. So I decided to buy a lightweight device that weighs no more than 8 oz. (227g).

It must also be small enough to be convenient, and a narrower column of text is easier to read anyway, so it's got to be a 6" device. (Maybe 5", but that seems too small.)

I use Fedora Linux on my PCs, so that must be supported. (I strongly dislike Windows.) But this isn't an issue since they all seem to support using the device as a USB drive, and AFAICS no one offers a Linux desktop app anyway. And the Calibre software package which supports Linux looks like it will be all I need.

Price is less of an issue. I'm only planning to buy one, and hopefully I'll use it a lot. I want one that won't annoy me.

This site is very helpful. I scoured through the matrix of 6" devices and decided the PocketBook 301+ is the very best: super lightweight, supports a long list of formats, even has an SDK for software development (though I haven't found it anywhere). The Cool-er Classic also seems excellent.

But alas the Cool-er seems to be bankrupt and I'm a little leery of buying something like the PocketBook that seems foreign and I fear may not be well supported here. I just haven't seen much reference to it anywhere.

But now Borders has their Kobo. Not as lightweight as some others, but 8oz. Nice design. It only supports a few file formats, but Calibre promises to be able to convert other formats. I'm thinking that may be the one.
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
domromer
Enthusiast
domromer began at the beginning.

Device: Something that works well with libraries.
I've got the kobo and I find the page turning button to be really annoying. I find it badly placed and a pain to press every minute. Also the software on the kobo is too slow to support the 600 books I've loaded on it. Browsing books is a real pain.

I'm going to return it next week and buy the sony pocket reader 350. It's smaller, weighs less, and easier to hold and no annoying next page button to press. I can't speak to the software because vie only used it as a display in the store but I can't imagine it could be worse than the kobo. Some people say the Sony is over priced but all I want is a good e reader I don't want to surf the web or listen to music on it.

Also both work with Linux through calibre.
domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I have a Kobo, and don't find the page turn button a problem at all. Some left-handed people don't like where it's placed, but I can't imagine why handed-ness is an issue (I am of course right-handed). I find it's a natural for my thumb, but I guess I would just hold it with my right hand and turn with my left were they reversed.

I only have around 200 books, but found browsing books much easier when I discovered the letter menu at the top of the screen (only took 2 months - doh!)

I'm very happy with my Kobo 1; don't have the WiFi version but will look closely to see if I want to upgrade.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

I had totally ruled out Sony because they all seemed to be either heavy or 5".

But now I see the PRS-650 Touch is less than 8oz! And I'm reading about happy customers.

Thanks for the comments on the Kobo. I haven't decided yet.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Pocketbook may be not well marketed, but the customer base is really pleased about them. In fact, one of the strong points of PB is the post-sale service: firmware updates are frequent and add enhancements, the device is quite hackable (in fact, the main enhancement is a user-made hack which Pocketbook endorses), and the sellers are very ready to serve the customer. You have vendors here in the forum, the names are Yar-Pocketbooker and tvpupsik Plus, the price in the US is really tempting.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
mario40
Enthusiast
mario40 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: no e-reader
The e-reader for general purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Pocketbook may be not well marketed, but the customer base is really pleased about them. In fact, one of the strong points of PB is the post-sale service: firmware updates are frequent and add enhancements, the device is quite hackable (in fact, the main enhancement is a user-made hack which Pocketbook endorses), and the sellers are very ready to serve the customer. You have vendors here in the forum, the names are Yar-Pocketbooker and tvpupsik Plus, the price in the US is really tempting.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you look around about the various specific e-readers (not tablets, ecetera), you can see several products like Amazon`s Kindle, where you found the classic „Polaroid effect“.This means, you get the product for a very attractive price, but have have to buy the consumer articles from this company (here the e-books). Or you found products from disappearing companies like Irex, where you are running probably in problems. You can wait for new „bright stars“ like e-readers with Pixel Qi`s new screen.The question is, when you can (maybe) hold such a star in your hand for e-reading? And you have to ask about the support if needed.

If you are looking for an e-reader for e-book reading only, than you have a nice selection of attracive products with 5 or 6 inch screens. Depending on what you like to read and the region where you live, you can make your purchase decision.

If you are looking for an e-reader for general purpose, means for reading beside e-books also various files from the Intenet or a PC or for reading of newspaper or periodicals, than there is not to much selection available. For pleasantly reading you shoud consider to have a e-reader with a screen in the 10 inch region.In addition you should not forget the customer support.

Actually I see the PocketBook 902 or 903. You are not getting everything what you would like to get. But summarizing, it`s an attractive product - but it is a new product - of a company with a good reputation.
mario40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
As far as linux goes, for ePub files with, you will need to run ade (work with wine), or sony app (don't work, according to wine's appDB).
For the rest, that works all right.

One of the big adventage of the 5" i found is holding it with one hand. The cybook opus is pretty light. Cover also have to be taken into consideration.

And beware, the situation with format / drm is a total mess in the US.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 10-24-2010 at 04:04 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
KenJackson
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
As far as linux goes, for ePub files with, you will need to run ade (work with wine), or sony app (don't work, according to wine's appDB).
For the rest, that works all right.
So Sony's app doesn't work under WINE. That's good to know. But if it appears as a USB drive, I should be able to copy books to it, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
And beware, the situation with format / drm is a total mess in the US.
Yeah. I'm with you. The more open a device is, the more it appeals to me.

On that note, my understanding is that if I buy a DRM epub book via my PC and then copy the file to my eReader's disk, I'll be able to read it. Is that right? How do you prove you paid for it? Is there a key? Or do you give your eReader's ID number or something?
Old 10-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
KenJackson
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario40 View Post
... several products like Amazon`s Kindle, where you found the classic „Polaroid effect“. This means, you get the product for a very attractive price, but have have to buy the consumer articles from this company (here the e-books).
Polaroid effect! I like that. It's aptly descriptive.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
So Sony's app doesn't work under WINE. That's good to know. But if it appears as a USB drive, I should be able to copy books to it, right?
Another Linux user here. The situation with DRM-free content (either bought as such or in public domain) is good for most of the devices, as you pointed out, they appear as USB mounts.

The problem for Linux users are applications that are capable of downloading, registering and transferring DRM protected material to the device, be it borrowed from the public library (ADE), be it stuff from stores that DRM protect their wares.

There is evidence on the Net that it is possible to install ADE under Wine, but there are also a quite a few posts dealing with the inability to register ADE, device or both if it is installed under wine.

I am affraid that the simplest thing is to run Windows under VmWare or OpenBox for loans/purchases .

Last edited by Ankh; 10-24-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
theusualuser
Enthusiast
theusualuser doesn't littertheusualuser doesn't litter

Device: none
The jetbook lite, according to Mobileread, weighs 8.8 oz including the 4 AA batteries. They're also on sale right now at newegg for $99 with a case included.

If weight is absolutely your primary concern, you might try the jetbook mini (5.7 oz with AAA batteries), though it only supports .txt and .fb2 (I guess Calibre would help with that).

Last edited by theusualuser; 10-25-2010 at 09:01 AM. Reason: more info
theusualuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:23 PM   #12
Knit n' Read
Knit n' Read began at the beginning.

Device: PB IQ 701, waiting on PB603
I am fairly new to the ereading arena, but from what I can see the Pocketbooks have the most open format - that is one of its biggest selling points.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAwTc...eature=related for a Youtube video and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywRQV...eature=related for a video with information about Pocketbook as a company and its philosophies.
Knit n' Read is offline   Reply With Quote