Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 07:40 AM   #16
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal_fan View Post
...Actually I recommend a factory reset...
Thank you arsenal_fan!

I went back, re-read your post, and did a factory reset. Now it works beautifully.

This thing looks like a gem for $50!

Call me a happy camper.

And many thanks to mobileread. Without this forum I'd have given up.
clittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:16 AM   #17
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Update. I ordered a 2nd one!
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #18
zz2003
zz2003 began at the beginning.

Device: Sharper image literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by clittle View Post
Believe me, I'm trying. I've done all you've suggested (turn on first, reboot, get updates) and nothing seems to work.

Have you tried dropping a book onto the literati drive that opens on your PC? If so, which directory do you put it in?

Thanks
Yes, I did a few PDFs with it. Put it under the Literati drive, not any folders under there.
Also a suggestion is try an SD card if you have one. Quickly put a pdf file on it and see if it works.
Good luck.
zz2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:54 PM   #19
clittle
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz2003 View Post
Yes, I did a few PDFs with it. Put it under the Literati drive, not any folders under there.
Also a suggestion is try an SD card if you have one. Quickly put a pdf file on it and see if it works.
Good luck.
It's working great now. And yes, I put books in the root directory of the literati drive.

I've only tried epub books so far but I suspect pdf's will work just as well.

I don't have an SD card yet but one is on order. I'll give it a try as soon as it arrives.

Thanks
Old 12-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #20
Larpam10
Larpam10 began at the beginning.

Device: sharper image literati
Literati update

I received response from Sharper Image. Some good news.

Literati has a 512mb internal memory and it does use 1st generation kindle chargers.

As far as downloads, for now I am sticking with kobo and downloading directly to the Literati via wifi which seems to work very well.
Larpam10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #21
protheus
protheus is on a distinguished road

Device: Augen TheBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by clittle View Post
Have you tried dropping a book onto the literati drive that opens on your PC? If so, which directory do you put it in?

For a moment I thought you were suggesting a literal act rather than an abstraction in software. "Have you tried dropping a book onto the literati?"

Chris
protheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:30 AM   #22
cyann92
cyann92 began at the beginning.

Device: Sharper Image Literati
Literati syncing, resetting and deleting issues

Hello all! First I'd like to mention that with the exception of what's mentioned in the title, I'm very happy with this device I was blessed enough to receive as a Christmas present. It worked without a hitch until the 27th, then it stopped syncing. The desktop application works wonderfully, but won't sync up with the device. I have no wireless connection issues, that part is working as well. The latest firmware is 1.9, dated 3 Dec 10. I wondered if it might be a space problem, so I attempted to delete some of the books I added via adobe digital additions, however this device is VERY protective and just won't let anything go! ( I get an error message each time, either saying it can't access the drive, or the delete failed). I also attempted multiple times to do hard reset, and factory restore to original default settings, but it refuses to do so. Basically, I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I'd really hate to return it, because except for that, I enjoy it very much. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/help.gif Thank you in advance!
cyann92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #23
zz2003
zz2003 began at the beginning.

Device: Sharper image literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyann92 View Post
Hello all! First I'd like to mention that with the exception of what's mentioned in the title, I'm very happy with this device I was blessed enough to receive as a Christmas present. It worked without a hitch until the 27th, then it stopped syncing. The desktop application works wonderfully, but won't sync up with the device. I have no wireless connection issues, that part is working as well. The latest firmware is 1.9, dated 3 Dec 10. I wondered if it might be a space problem, so I attempted to delete some of the books I added via adobe digital additions, however this device is VERY protective and just won't let anything go! ( I get an error message each time, either saying it can't access the drive, or the delete failed). I also attempted multiple times to do hard reset, and factory restore to original default settings, but it refuses to do so. Basically, I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I'd really hate to return it, because except for that, I enjoy it very much. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/help.gif Thank you in advance!
Did you try to go to Settings, and restore to factory default? I think that will probably delete all the files on it. Good luck!
zz2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #24
ashleecrazee
ashleecrazee began at the beginning.

Device: Literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larpam10 View Post
As a newbie to ereaders, the Literati seems to be doing what I want it to. It downloads books so I can read them. Obviously, for $60.00, it is not perfect, but I can live with it.
I'm sorry you paid $60 for the Literati? They sell them for $250 at Kohl's. Yeah, my grandmother payed $199 for it for me for chirstmas. Obviously she didn't know it was crap.
ashleecrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #25
ashleecrazee
ashleecrazee began at the beginning.

Device: Literati
This is my SECOND literati, I simply thought the first one was broken. The desktop software doesn't work, and it wont read any books. I am soo close to fed up. HEEELLLPPP!
ashleecrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:14 AM   #26
clittle
Zealot

I don't know why; but I've got this urge to defend the liberati.

Mine has been working beautifully since I did a factory restore (see my prior posts for details).

My wife has a Kindle 3. I like it too. But both have pros and cons.

The Kindle excels in bright daylight but the liberati kicks butt in the dark.

The liberati shows page numbers which I kind of like; the Kindle doesn't.

Kindle has a rudimentary browser; can keep typed in notes; can look up words you highlight on a page; and a few other nice but not necessary features. The lib... lacks such niceties.

All in all, for $50 I'd take the liberati any day.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:09 AM   #27
cyann92
cyann92 began at the beginning.

Device: Sharper Image Literati
Literati E-Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz2003 View Post
Did you try to go to Settings, and restore to factory default? I think that will probably delete all the files on it. Good luck!
Hello and thank you for your suggestion! Yes, I did several times, attempt to do a factory reset. The thing about this is, I do love this e-reader, as I had a wonderful experience with the exception of these small issues. I had no issues connecting to my WiFi network, or the desktop application. It stopped syncing, adding, updating, or deleting items after 2 days of use. I finally had to contact the manufacturer directly last week for further assistance. Tech/Customer support personnel walked me through several troubleshooting options, including a factory reset, before finding that my particular e-reader is defective. They will be sending me a pre-paid label to return it, as well as sending a replacement reader, at no cost to me. I am also thankful for the person I received this from for Christmas! Upon purchasing, they opted to add in a complete coverage 2 year warranty that was offered by the merchant at the time of sale, for only a few extra dollars, starting from the date of purchase. I've had experience with both the kindle and Literati, and I think there are some definite positives about both, that should make people who own them very happy. Though my Literati experience hasn't been a completely positive one, I wouldn't hesitate owning another. I would also like to mention something shared with me when I spoke to the manufacturer's customer support Tech. Per the Tech, I was told that even though it states in the user's manual that you can use adobe (or digital additions) to assist in your e-book managing needs or for dropping items to your Literati, it's suggested (though epub format is supported) to convert any items to .pdf format (which will then store all added items in the "documents" tabbed section of your Literati), as that's less problematic for the reader to "read it", and to use Calibre instead of Adobe, as it compliments and supports the literati in a more seamless fashion.

Last edited by cyann92; 01-07-2011 at 01:27 AM.
cyann92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #28
clittle
Zealot

Thanks for the feedback from literati tech. support.

I had tried to contact them but was on hold for so long I gave up.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #29
Larpam10
Larpam10 began at the beginning.

Device: sharper image literati
I have had no problem downloading books from Kobo directly to the Literati via wifi.

I have added books from Kobo directly to an SD card that was in the SD card slot of my laptop. The Literati recognized the card and updated my library.

I ran into a problem when I bought a book on the Borders site and downloaded the adobe application for the reader. The Literati did not recognize it. For now, I will just stick to the Kobo store. It would be nice if Kobo was a little more user friendly in regards to budget books etc.
Larpam10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #30
arsenal_fan
arsenal_fan began at the beginning.

Device: The Sharper Image Literati Ereader
Scrolling in landscape mode?

A problem I have with this ereader is when reading a document in landscape mode the page turn buttons (on the screen borders) flip over to the next page when in fact they should display the bottom half of the same page (since landscape mode displays only half of the original page). Of course we can use the buttons on the bottom right of the keypad but that makes reading in landscape mode with one hand almost impossible.

Also, if you increase the font size you have to scroll left and right to read sentences since there isn't a word wrap / fit-width functionality. These two issues are bothering me a little.

I'm thinking of calling customer support in the hope of getting them to do a software update or something?

Last edited by arsenal_fan; 01-07-2011 at 08:17 PM.
arsenal_fan is offline   Reply With Quote