Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
drtom
drtom began at the beginning.

Device: none
Will amazon make ereader with a screen even bigger than kindle dx

a 12 inch ereader will definitely be in my shopping cart if amazon would make one. I have lots of scientific paper to read, they are just so small and difficult to navigate if I read them on kindle dx.

irex 1000s is for sure a very good device, but it's just bulky and irex is at the brink of bankruptcy.
drtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I think a 12 inch screen would make for a bulky and heavy reader which few people would buy. So I doubt Amazon will make one.

Don't forget the you can rotate the DX to landscape which makes it easier to read scientific papers. The important thing with PDFs is to use a program to crop out the excess margins.

For old papers and books that are scanned and converted to a PDF, few of them will look good on any device, not even a computer. There needs to be a mindset change among those who publish scientific and technical journals and books. They need to understand that large sized docs that cannot reflow their text are not good for digital viewing, even on a computer. They need to either publish in a reflowable format or at the very least design their docs for smaller screened devices. It is sad that the worlds greatest minds seem to be the last to understand this whole digital publishing concept.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
wesleyer
Connoisseur
wesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enough

I agree. I don't think there would be enough demand to justify a bigger one. Its price would probably scare most people away.
You can see that most manufacturers are going for the 5 or 6 inch screens.
wesleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
drtom
drtom began at the beginning.

I don't agree. There would be a quite good consumer market for 12 inch or 14 inch kindle or other type of ereader.
drtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
I vote for a larger screen as well. DX is too small. There are lots of people who want to read full-size pdfs without any gimmicks.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtom View Post
I don't agree. There would be a quite good consumer market for 12 inch or 14 inch kindle or other type of ereader.
And you base that on what reliable market research? Just because YOU want one does not mean others do. A 12 or 14 inch Kindle would probably weigh in at 4+ pounds and would most likely cost in excess of $700. Now how many people would want to hold a 4+ lb monster in their hands while reading?!? Their hands and arms would soon begin to ache and go numb. If you balanced it on your lap or belly, it would still be unwieldy. About the only way you could comfortably use it for long periods would be to lay it on a desk. At that point you might as well be using a computer.

Having said all that, there might come a day when the technology has improved and the costs have lowered so that a very thin, flexible screen can be made into a device that can be rolled up or folded into a manageable package for carrying. It would need to weigh a pound or less to be comfortable to hold for prolonged periods. It would have to be rigid enough when unfolded or unrolled to present a perfectly flat screen for reading. And of course it would have to be affordable. We might see such devices in the future, but I don't expect to see any in the next couple of years. No manufacturers seem to have that kind of technology and imagination at present.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-24-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Don't forget the academic/scientific/medical/engineering, etc. worlds that need a large screen. They would gladly pay the price in $$ and weight.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
Cosmo Spring
Will read for food
Cosmo Spring doesn't litterCosmo Spring doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX-G
There were supposed to be bigger "professional" eReaders released this Summer. I have a hunch that a problem - perhaps a fatal one - for both the Plastic Logic Que and the Skiff eReader is that there was nowhere near the clamor for such a device at the pricepoint such devices would have demanded. But who knows, maybe the Que will be released afterall. I'm sure News Corp. (which has purchased the Skiff platform to launch their "digital journalism" component) won't make an eReader, but maybe that project will be reborn at another company or as a startup.
Cosmo Spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
Don't forget the academic/scientific/medical/engineering, etc. worlds that need a large screen. They would gladly pay the price in $$ and weight.
Quite true. But the same principle aplies to text books. There is a very limited market for any text book. Therefore the price is astronomical compared to books of the same size targeted to a popular (much larger) audience. Let's examine the DX and text books. About this time last year the DX was touted and marketed as the best digital reader for university students to read text books on. Did that market really advance beyond a niche market? No. Would an even larger and more expensive device out sell the DX or DXG in the university student niche market? I doubt it would even come close to the number of DXes sold in that same niche market. Students don't have money. I was a grad student once, I nearly starved! Their professors and scientist do have money to spend on such devices, but they represent a very small percentage of the buyers who purchase digital readers. If I was Amazon, I sure wouldn't put out a Kindle for such a small niche market. The DXG is already pushing the size and weight envelope near it's limit, anything beyond that and I doubt many buyers would purchase it.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-24-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Perhaps not a 12" display, but what about two 6" displays on a clamshell device? You would open it up like a book and have two screens next to each other. Half of the QWERTY keyboard on the left and the other on the right, the device could be made a lot smaller with Next/Previous Page buttons on the back.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
I would like to see a 10", 12" or bigger on the market.
If the prize is reasonable and it's not locked in (Kindle 12") i'm happy to buy it.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #12
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
This big enough?
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #13
Cosmo Spring
Will read for food
Cosmo Spring doesn't litterCosmo Spring doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX-G
Cosmo Spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #14
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I want a full 14" reader...period...that is about the size of a sheet of 8.5"x11" which would sure help for reference manuals and such which are my PRIMARY reasons for needing a large format reader. I could give a crap less about it weighing a few ounces more...do a freaking push up once is a while if a 1-2lbs is just too burdensome for you to handle...gimme a break. Plus once the flexible panels are in production the weight will almost all be in the battery. An Mg-Alloy body will easily offer strength and light weight to satisify the 12-ounce curls crowd...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I want a reader with a 14'' screen that doubles as a cover... when closed it would cover the full-size keyboard and the touch-pad pointing device. It would have built-in wifi, a dvd player and a......... wait a minute.
Nevermind.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote