Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #31
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
There's no hope.
Until that nonsense "pay per copy" model will be definitely abandoned, the dark side, in a way or the other, will rule.

The future is either a "per content" fee, where I pay the author to access the content unlimited times and in infinite copies, or the same old model, where new ways to "share" content will rise and fall like waves in the ocean. And the smart ones will have everything for free.

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #32
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
1) All of this surprisingly verbose response refers, by the way, to the goods subject to the so-called "intellectual property". For goods made of physical matter, things are different, and I'm quite sure we're all in complete agreement for those.
What's the difference?
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #33
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I only pay for something if I have to...The companies do have their goal very clear, which is winning money. I have my goal clear as well: spend the least money and time possible.
Same here. Though these days I actually tend to stick more to CC/GFDL works or public domain works and the like, just because my university's ban on torrents makes piracy troublesome.

Then again, I shouldn't be torrenting on uni even if it was allowed. Colleges are a favorite target of the RIAA/MPAA.

Last edited by Jaime_Astorga; 03-23-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #34
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman
1) All of this surprisingly verbose response refers, by the way, to the goods subject to the so-called "intellectual property". For goods made of physical matter, things are different, and I'm quite sure we're all in complete agreement for those.
What's the difference?
Physical property becomes unusable by someone else when it's stolen/used without permission.

Intellectual property doesn't stop being usable by other people when someone makes an unauthorized copy/uses it without permission (in the case of patents and trademarks).

If I take your car, you can't drive it while I've got it. If I take a picture of your car and make a copy of your custom paint job, it may affect the resale value (because yours is no longer unique), but it doesn't keep you from using or showing off your car.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #35
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Ditto to Elfwreck, and generalising his assert, what is meant is that physical property's deprivation implies a net loss, which means losing something that you had before it was stolen. Intellectual property's deprivation implies that you lose potential gains which haven't been realised, but not anything that you had before the "stealing" took place.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #36
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
It seems to me that there is still a (rapidly closing) window of opportunity for the publishers to get this right. If they standardised on matching the paper price for a properly proofed non-DRM book without geo restrictions, I think that the market would take off, and especially with the addition of their back-catalogues, they could make more money. I suspect that they won't do this, and that many are doomed as a result.
Rubbish! I can't agree with this. The whole ebooks fiasco is an attempt by the Bourgeoisie to exclude the proletariat from reading by creating a highly-priced entry point to be able to read at all. Thank goodness that the publishing industry is supporting the people against the rising technocracy by undermining the ebook at every opportunity. Prices are rightly being set by adding together the price of the available paper versions, factoring in the cost of ebook conversion, and then making up a number. Proof-reading is being reserved for paper copies so as to benefit the workers rather than the few, bourgois "e-readers" who are quite capable of proof-reading themselves - otherwise, how would they see any errors? DRM and goegraphic restrictions are being applied to limit the spread of any infection.

Publishers who stick with paper will be the true victors, with those who waste resources on the doomed "e" format in danger of losing the means of production of real books.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:47 PM   #37
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Psycho!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #38
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Rubbish! I can't agree with this. The whole ebooks fiasco is an attempt by the Bourgeoisie to exclude the proletariat from reading by creating a highly-priced entry point to be able to read at all. Thank goodness that the publishing industry is supporting the people against the rising technocracy by undermining the ebook at every opportunity. Prices are rightly being set by adding together the price of the available paper versions, factoring in the cost of ebook conversion, and then making up a number. Proof-reading is being reserved for paper copies so as to benefit the workers rather than the few, bourgois "e-readers" who are quite capable of proof-reading themselves - otherwise, how would they see any errors? DRM and goegraphic restrictions are being applied to limit the spread of any infection.

Publishers who stick with paper will be the true victors, with those who waste resources on the doomed "e" format in danger of losing the means of production of real books.
Yay Karl Marx!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:15 PM   #39
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:

Too late Ben - you've already got kennyc in your corner and you're not going to shake him off by feigning some kind of reasonable politically conscious analysis of the situation
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #40
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Too late Ben - you've already got kennyc in your corner and you're not going to shake him off by feigning some kind of reasonable politically conscious analysis of the situation

Exactly! We're bros!

Old 03-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #41
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If I argue in a circle, then I won't have any corners - so how could he be in mine? Anyway, he's called me a psycho, so we're back on name-calling terms again (or him calling me names, at any rate)
Old 03-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #42
Ben Thornton
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Exactly! We're bros!

You can be Luke - I'll be Matt.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #43
kennyc

Quote:
If I argue in a circle, then I won't have any corners - so how could he be in mine? Anyway, he's called me a psycho, so we're back on name-calling terms again (or him calling me names, at any rate)
Dude! That was just a random "Psycho!" Dontchaknow...
Old 03-23-2010, 06:47 PM   #44
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Dude! That was just a random "Psycho!" Dontchaknow...
The kind of insult that's really a term of endearment that you often find traded between real pard'ners!
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #45
kennyc

Quote:
The kind of insult that's really a term of endearment that you often find traded between real pard'ners!
eggzactly!