Old 06-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
earthq
Enthusiast
earthq began at the beginning.

Device: none
ISBN management inside Calibre

Hi,

I am wondering how Calibre handles ISBN around things like:

- ISBN-10, ISBN-13, eBook ISBN. It will be great that for a given book the entry will allow to store all possible ISBNs.

- ISBN duplicates. Does Calibre detect attempts to add the same book twice? What if I have a book with ISBN-10 and add the same with the ISBN-13?

- ISBN field regex. Any plans to allow it regex checks? Currently it allows any text.

- ISBN changes. It looks like after entering an ISBN, the metadata lookup changes it for some books.

On the other hand, are there any plans to provide Amazon lookups? Or even better, allow user-selectable (configurable?) metadata provider (mp3tag -mp3tag.de - provides similar feature for music metadata lookup, allowing to choose provider).

Thanks!!!
earthq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre is not going to support multiple ISBNs. I don't see the point. If they refer to books with different contents, make multiple entries. If not, the difference is meaningless.

calibre detects duplicated nased on titles/authors

a regex check is certainly doable, open a ticket to request the feature

when you use a metadata lookup, all metadata is replaced based on the best match, including isbn
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
earthq
Enthusiast
earthq began at the beginning.

Device: none
My point is given a certain ISBN, being able to look in my library to check if I have it or not, regardless of is a hardcover, softcover or ebook, for example.

BTW, it would be great if ISBN could be searched and shown in details pane.

Thanks.
earthq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
So add the isbn in the comments, it will show up when you search
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote