Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-24-2008, 11:52 PM   #1
gocargo
gocargo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1.0
book/newspaper downloading protocol?

Ok, (new kindle) so my home isn't within the Sprint territory and I register and purchase several books, a magazine and a newspaper subscription online via the Amazon site. Later in the day I take my Kindle and drive to the city YMCA which is in a Sprint hotspot. Whispernet connects and my purchases appear but only in my Content Manager, not my home screen Furthermore, there's a little black rectangle beneath each of the titles that says "Amazon". I drive back home and from reading the User Guide I gather that I must select each item and then "move or download" that content to my Kindle from "My Media Library" stored at Amazon... but I'll have to wait until I'm back in the city to connect, no problem.

Question: Are all media purchases via the kindle/whispernet transferred directly to my home screen.. or will the above (2-step scenario) be the norm regardless of the purchase method? Just want to know what to expect.

-vlad

Last edited by gocargo; 01-24-2008 at 11:55 PM.
gocargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:09 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocargo View Post
Ok, (new kindle) so my home isn't within the Sprint territory and I register and purchase several books, a magazine and a newspaper subscription online via the Amazon site. Later in the day I take my Kindle and drive to the city YMCA which is in a Sprint hotspot. Whispernet connects and my purchases appear but only in my Content Manager, not my home screen Furthermore, there's a little black rectangle beneath each of the titles that says "Amazon". I drive back home and from reading the User Guide I gather that I must select each item and then "move or download" that content to my Kindle from "My Media Library" stored at Amazon... but I'll have to wait until I'm back in the city to connect, no problem.

Question: Are all media purchases via the kindle/whispernet transferred directly to my home screen.. or will the above (2-step scenario) be the norm regardless of the purchase method? Just want to know what to expect.

-vlad
While you can drive to download them there is no real nead to do this. you can also simply download your purchases from the web site and transfer them to your device via a USB connection. That will save a lot of expensive gas.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
gocargo
gocargo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
you can also simply download your purchases from the web site and transfer them to your device via a USB connection.
Dale
I read the Users Guide but didn't see this explainedCan you point me to the DIY procedure? I did plug my kindle into my computer via usb but saw nothing helpful.

gocargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Your Kindle should appear as a removable drive on the computer. If you copy books and articles to the Documents folder, they should appear.

As for them not showing up in the home menu when you downloaded them from Whispernet, we're you sorting by newest items first? Maybe they were on another page.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Also are you showing only books? There's an option to display either books, periodicals, or both. From the home page access the "Show and Sort" menu at the top and check to be sure the Kindle is set to display periodicals or all items.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
As for them not showing up in the home menu when you downloaded them from Whispernet, we're you sorting by newest items first? Maybe they were on another page.
Since the Content Manager had a tag with "Amazon" in a black box, then they were indeed not on the Kindle yet.

vlad, if you need a bit more detail, here's some:

You'll first need to download your purchases to your computer. You can do this by going to Your Media Library at Amazon in your web browser.

From there. choose the drop down, "your collection" and choose "Kindle Items". You should get a list of your purchases and free trial subscriptions (but not samples).

Click on the item you want to download and there should be a "download to computer" button on the right.

Once the file is downloaded, then follow the previous instructions: connect your Kindle via USB. Look for the Kindle storage device (explore "My Computer" if you are using windows). Copy the file to the "documents" directory on the Kindle. Wait for it to transfer (it will be quick, the mirrored indicator will spin a bit), then unplug the Kindle from USB and the book should now be listed again.

You won't be able to sample books by downloading to the computer, though. You'll have to get those over whispernet.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
By the way when you're in the content manager, you can go into each page, Menu->Select All... do this for each page then you can click transfer to kindle or to memory card and it transfers all at once. I did 11 pages in one fell swoop that way.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote