Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
mmatej
Connoisseur
mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.

Device: none
System Diags

As there aren't much information about the diagnostics mode, I've decided to examine it further. I've tested all options except these:
  • setting serial, pcb ID, mac address, manufacturing code
  • headphone tests (I haven't got any)
  • Wifi FCC compliance
  • FCT power suspend mode
  • FCT power shipping mode
  • power cycle (stress) tests
  • ART tests
Here are things that are worth mentioning:
  • Run in Test runs selected tests for time you select (IDK why, but you can select 4 weeks there!)
  • Mic test just asks to select pass/fail
  • I've almost got heart attack from the "Automated speaker test"
  • MOVINAND test failed for me
  • WTH is the EIC60268 sound from that test?
  • I have no idea what the FCC compliance tests did (tried 11b automation and 11g interactive - the latter hanged the Kindle while initializing the ART)
  • Video Gray scale test also showed eink temperature (mine was 30 Celsius)
  • no matter as much as I tried, the "Proximity sensor" test outputted same results (I did 13 tests=maximum) - have Kindle really this sensor? - and at the end the test failed
  • touch firmware update seems to do reflash of touch(zforce?)fw (because it hangs for a while)
  • in touch sensor levels if you touch the screen when it tells you not to touch the screen you can see how your finger blocked the light
  • selecting FCT test hanged my Kindle, but I started the diags program through the SSH and I was able to control diags by typing letters prior to captions (I did further tests through SSH), further inspection through SSH shows selecting FCT test disables eink: "HalVideo: Disable papyrus chip"
  • IDK what "mount nfs" do, but it errors with "mount: RPC: Remote system error - No route to host"
  • On -> Standby power cycle stress test test kicked me out of the SSH and hanged Kindle
  • ART 11g factory test tries to do something - "nothing received within 10000 millisecs" - but fails
  • USB bundle installs fails with "No update*.bin found" - I have not tried if it really installs update package
I assume it's safe to test whatever you want to (except setting hardcoded values). Feel free to add your own experiences/new findings!
EDIT: I've rebooted Kindle into main and the time is set to 00:00. It's mystery, because no test (I suppose) have modified the clock.

Last edited by mmatej; 07-16-2012 at 10:17 AM.
mmatej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatej View Post
As there aren't much information about the diagnostics mode, I've decided to examine it further. I've tested all options except these:
  • IDK what "mount nfs" do, but it errors with "mount: RPC: Remote system error - No route to host"
"mount nfs" could be the same as on Kindle 4.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
For NFS to work, the host side of your USB connection must be 192.168.15.201, and the host must be running an NFS server. There was a thread that discussed using NFS like that quite some time ago. I did not have much success when I tried it though.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-16-2012 at 11:26 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
mmatej
Connoisseur
mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
"mount nfs" could be the same as on Kindle 4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
For NFS to work, the host side of you USB connection must be 192.168.15.201, and the host must be running an NFS server. There was a thread that discussed using NFS like that quite some time ago. I did not have much success when I tried it though.
Thanks for the info. I've already set correct IP address, but I haven't got much info about setting the NFS thing.
mmatej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
dionoea did it. He described (mis)using it on a K4 as a possible jailbreak vector (not needed because a K4 already has diags SSH). But you can ignore that and just follow the NFS part. Here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1869779

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-16-2012 at 12:47 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert