Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #76
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I don't understand that way of thinking.

"Selling 25,000 Kindle books/month"
vs
"Selling 100,000 ebooks/month"

Which one do you think would make them more money?
If you already have Kindle you don't need second Kindle but you will keep buying eBooks for Kindle from Amazon during next 1, 2,3..5 years. After 2-5 years you will spend much more money on eBooks compare with the cost of Kindle. It is like selling HP printer for $30 and after it charge you for HP Ink cartridges each time for $35. Did you see any HP printer compatible with Lexmark or Epson cartridges?

Last edited by Kris777; 07-13-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #77
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
I agree with some of the people that think the kindle 2 is still very over priced. I just bought a prs-505 for 150 from the sony deal a few weeks ago and that includes shipping. These devices shouldn't be more than 150-200 dollars , if netbooks are 200 dollars, this thing should be at or below that. It's just that these are still NEW devices , but with flood of new eink readers coming out soon, the prices should go down. Just like HDTV's prices have come down from 3,000 to 4,000 dollars for 42inch 4 years ago.
Amazon has added incentive to get people to buy their books, so price could come down.

Last edited by richman; 07-13-2009 at 04:52 PM.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #78
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
I'm sure the price will continue to go down, or advancements will be made. I do know that the drop to 299 caused one of my friends to order one over the weekend (and I'm excited to see it, since I haven't had a chance to play with the Kindle 2) and a couple others to revisit the notion.

Barring unforeseen circumstances, the next reader I buy will be from somewhere else myself. But even though I try to be fair when I show off my Kindle (and previously by Cybook), a lot of people that I know are going for the combination of name recognition and bookstore price and find the slightly higher cost worth it.

I did convince one friend to get a Sony 505, though!
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #79
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixte View Post
Barring unforeseen circumstances, the next reader I buy will be from somewhere else myself. But even though I try to be fair when I show off my Kindle (and previously by Cybook), a lot of people that I know are going for the combination of name recognition and bookstore price and find the slightly higher cost worth it.
Brand recognition is a factor that shouldn't be underestimated. One of the reasons I'm even considering the Kindle is because I've been purchasing stuff from Amazon.com for over a decade. They're a known quantity and one I haven't had too many problems with. (There's only been one really annoying incident where they shipped me three copies of a book I'd ordered and it was a lot of grief getting them to understand what I was talking about. I can't imagine that ever coming up with an ebook.)
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:35 PM   #80
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
The price drop was enough for me to get a second Kindle 2 for my wife instead of settling for a Sony 505 because of price. I am willing to pay a little more for the added convenience of sharing downloaded books from Amazon with my wife. The kindle is a good fit for her because she already has a friend who recently got one (also because of price drop), and she enjoys the ease of use.

Now all I have to worry about is HOW MANY books we end up buying.
demoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #81
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Am I right in assuming that the Kindle 2 has a bigger screen?
If so, the price of 299 may be kind of justified.
If I could buy a Sony PRS505 with a larger screen (in the likes of 9"),and resolution (in the likes of 1024x720 or 1024x768 pix), I'd be more than willing to pay $250 (seeing that the Sony always have costed less than all other brands out there,and in my eyes is superior in build quality.

But if K2 has the same resolution as K1, I'd not pay one cent more than $200. In fact, I may even prefer the sony 505 over this one!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #82
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Am I right in assuming that the Kindle 2 has a bigger screen?
A bigger screen than what? The Kindle2 has the same 6inch screen size as the Sony 505/700 and the CyBook Gen3 and the EZ Reader.

Perhaps you are thinking of the Kindle DX which has a 9.7 inch screen. It is priced at $500ish.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #83
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Yup same screen size as the 505. I gave a 505 some serious consideration before the price drop. However the wireless and text to speech features are ones I really enjoy, and the wife constantly steals my K2 to read with TTS on.

I honestly don't know about the quality of builds as I haven't had a 505 in my hand. I can say that I wouldn't have a K2 without some sort of cover or sleeve unless you only read at home. The difference in price is still a good chunk, but not having to worry about finding different or compatible versions for each book we want is very nice. 1 purchase, 2 devices no drm stripping required.

Still though if you haven't tried a K2 you can try one out now for less, and if you don't like it you can return it within 30 days.
demoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #84
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
If you already have Kindle you don't need second Kindle but you will keep buying eBooks for Kindle from Amazon during next 1, 2,3..5 years. After 2-5 years you will spend much more money on eBooks compare with the cost of Kindle. It is like selling HP printer for $30 and after it charge you for HP Ink cartridges each time for $35. Did you see any HP printer compatible with Lexmark or Epson cartridges?
I think I was misunderstood...

I was merely referring to the monopolistic Kindle Only format deals they make with publishers. Do the publishers not realize that exclusive ebooks in only ONE format will greatly reduce the number of ebooks sold/read?

This is what I do not understand. The books i want are only on the Kindle currently, and I have to wait months for them to come out in a format that my reader will use.

I see nothing at all wrong with, say, Amazon making a deal to be the only eTailer of the book, but at least have the decency to sell the books in multiple formats to greater increase your , NOT just in the sacred Kindle format alone

This is my gripe.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #85
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I think I was misunderstood...

I was merely referring to the monopolistic Kindle Only format deals they make with publishers. Do the publishers not realize that exclusive ebooks in only ONE format will greatly reduce the number of ebooks sold/read?

This is what I do not understand. The books i want are only on the Kindle currently, and I have to wait months for them to come out in a format that my reader will use.

I see nothing at all wrong with, say, Amazon making a deal to be the only eTailer of the book, but at least have the decency to sell the books in multiple formats to greater increase your , NOT just in the sacred Kindle format alone

This is my gripe.
I think the kindle format is the 'safest' or 'most DRM'-ed format out there. It's hard (perhaps impossible) to share ebooks, unlike most other ebook readers.
Many publishers know that,and therefor think it may be a good thing to them.

Also, Amazon is fulltime busy converting books to ebook formats.
Sony too. But Sony has less resources, and it takes longer for them to get all books ready.
They should set up some kind of 'request book' poll, or something, to have an idea which ones to convert first.

Last thing I heard, Amazon will sell their books in kindle format only. They see any other ebook reader device out there as a competition for their product.
It would only be normal for them to try any marketing strategy to have a monopoly in the market.
They would not be able to do that in Europe, but in USA that is still allowed.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #86
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Last thing I heard, Amazon will sell their books in kindle format only. They see any other ebook reader device out there as a competition for their product.
It would only be normal for them to try any marketing strategy to have a monopoly in the market.
They would not be able to do that in Europe, but in USA that is still allowed.
Then Amazon will never have business from me.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #87
Stensie4JC
Book Diva
Stensie4JC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Thanks but no thanks

Still not cheap enough for me to consider. There are no features that I want on the Kindle that I couldn't get elsewhere for less. I'm looking for a device with more flexibility. It really does seem like $200 is the magic number. I can't convince myself that spending much more than that is worth it, especially since books will essentially cost more for me once I switch to e-books. I plan on a nearly complete switch, eventually. But switching to e-books (unless I limit myself to only public domain content or condescend to reading "pirated" materials) will actually be more expensive for me. I don't know about anyone else, but between garage sales, secondhand bookstores and borrowing books from friends, I rarely pay retail. I know there are sites that have sales and discount clubs, but overall it will be more expensive than the way I usually interact with books. The added convenience makes the added expense worthwhile for me, but not to the point where I feel justified in overpaying for a device by $50-$100.
Stensie4JC is offline   Reply With Quote