Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Where would I go to get my distro to keep calibre up to date in repos?

So yeah, pretty much what the title says. I use Ubuntu Linux. To whom would I go to get the distro to keep calibre up to date in the repos, or at least to get them to have a reasonable update schedule? Right now they still have Calibre 6.4 in the repos, and it hasn't been updated at all in the month and a half since I got my kindle, so I'm guessing that they only update it every few releases or so.
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Just use the installer script line that Calibre offers and it'll bring your version up to the latest but it'll be installed concurrently with the Ubuntu (old) version as well.

Sometimes things like this happen, hopefully as Calibre becomes vastly more important in our daily needs they (Canaconical or Debian) will be a little more active on keeping with the latest version.

Regards,
Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Just use the installer script line that Calibre offers and it'll bring your version up to the latest but it'll be installed concurrently with the Ubuntu (old) version as well.

Sometimes things like this happen, hopefully as Calibre becomes vastly more important in our daily needs they (Canaconical or Debian) will be a little more active on keeping with the latest version.

Regards,
Paul.
Yeah, I know I can do that. I just wanted to do the community a good turn and, at the same time, make it so I don't have to go outside of the repos for a very important piece of software. Just was hoping somebody knew who I could ask.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe join up to the IRC #debian channel on freenode.org... or there is also #calibre there as well.

Paul.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC Ubuntu has the policy of only releasing security updates or pure bug fix updates for software once a distro is released. It's one of the reasons I don't use Ubuntu
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
lunixer
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
IIRC Ubuntu has the policy of only releasing security updates or pure bug fix updates for software once a distro is released. It's one of the reasons I don't use Ubuntu
Oh well.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

On the upside, 10.10 is already out in release-candidate form