Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Reading Recommendations

Kobo, please take note.

I don't have a problem with recommendations. In fact, I think they might help me find something that I wouldn't have otherwise found.

But, after I have marked a recommendation as already read or not interested, please don't put it into the recommendations again. I am unlikely to change my mind. And if I do, I can always search for the book on my own.

Thanks for listening.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
This is annoying me as well.

I keep getting the same books recommended even though I already own them! Of course I don't expect Kobo to know what I have purchased from elsewhere (and infact I think this means their recommendations are pretty good) but once I say I have already read it - that means I have ALREADY READ it! So repeatedly recommending it is just wasting the opportunity to show me books that I might want to buy.

However even more infuriating is that some of the books Kobo keeps recommending for me I have actually PURCHASED from Kobo!!
For example: The Reversal by Michael Connelly - purchased Aug 18 2011 - removed from my recommended list for the third time this morning.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi guys, our server team knows about this issue and is providing a fix shortly (next time recommendations are updated). Definitely annoying and should not be happening. Thanks for bearing with us.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Hi Sameer - that's great that Kobo is working on this. Thanks for letting us know. I look forward to getting some real recommendations soon!
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Hi guys, our server team knows about this issue and is providing a fix shortly (next time recommendations are updated). Definitely annoying and should not be happening. Thanks for bearing with us.
Thanks for the information. It wasn't annoying the first time, more funny as I kept saying "I've still read that" and "my interest in feng shui weddings is still nil". But, if it continued, I would start getting annoyed, especially the feng shui wedding one.
Advert
Old 01-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #6
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
Thanks for the information. It wasn't annoying the first time, more funny as I kept saying "I've still read that" and "my interest in feng shui weddings is still nil". But, if it continued, I would start getting annoyed, especially the feng shui wedding one.
It would be interesting to analyse your reading habits to work out why they have recommended that you should read a book about feng shui weddings.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
OK, I'll ask the giant question....What if I don't want recommendations? (or any other commercial offerings)

Sameer, any comments?
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
What if I don't want recommendations?
Set it display your Shortlist?
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
nogle
Gangnam style!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
It would be interesting to analyse your reading habits to work out why they have recommended that you should read a book about feng shui weddings.
I have directly indicated to Kobo at some point an interest in non-fiction. Although I agree that a book on feng shui would fit into the non-fiction category, it couldn't match any tags of other things I have read.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latch View Post
Set it display your Shortlist?
Yes I have.

It only works for as long as you do not sync the device and only after you clear the recommendations on the web site, not the KOBO app (where for some reason you cannot clear them). After a while the recommendations will be back and if one syncs then the whole ritual starts again.

I have also read a post on this forum that says that the recommendations or samples get mixed in with one's own library. (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=320) This is unconfirmed at this time, but if it were true it would certainly be a deal breaker for me.

I'll bide my time (and a copy of v1.9.14) and see how it plays out.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
It only works for as long as you do not sync the device and only after you clear the recommendations on the web site, not the KOBO app (where for some reason you cannot clear them).
I did not know this. Thanks for the tip. I don't sync very often at all, and hadn't really noticed. For that matter, I hardly notice what's at the bottom regardless of what it's showing as I'm too busy opening the book I'm reading. Maybe it has something to do with the general inscrutability of the cover images in greyscale, in conjunction with my bad eyesight.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
I for one would prefer if your server team would fix the issue of books randomly disappearing from my Kobo. I really love having to go to the site to bookmark the first page of a book so it goes back into my "currently reading" list; seriously, not annoying in the least.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
I for one would prefer if your server team would fix the issue of books randomly disappearing from my Kobo. I really love having to go to the site to bookmark the first page of a book so it goes back into my "currently reading" list; seriously, not annoying in the least.
I can't imagine how that could be annoying

Books should not be randomly disappearing from your Kobo, we're looking into this issue as well along with other feedback we have received. I had thought to address the question around recommendations in this thread, but we are looking at all sorts of fixes and enhancements for the next update.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote