Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #76
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
While the K system is obviously far from perfect as an indicator of merit, I think it does help some with preventing (or moderating) flame wars and intemperate posts. IOW, if someone has given you karma in the past and you disagree with something that they post, you are probably going to be a little more polite in your response to them. Which I think is a very good thing.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #77
JasonB
Connoisseur
JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm proud to state (and I'm sure it's going to be believable) that with only 10 karma I'm not doing anything funny!
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #78
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool Karmen Miranda ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If you go to your User CP, and scroll down, you'll see a list of people who've given you Karma, and links to the posts for which they gave you the Karma. Click on their name in the list, and you can send them a thank-you message.

Ah - so that's it.........

So thank you for mine, everyone/whoever, even though I seem to have committed the cardinal sin of being a newbie - actually, I enjoy do the little "bon mots", they're hilarious.

In short, I really don't see what the problem is - it's quite amusing, fun to do, and what's wrong with that ?

Get a life............... please.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #79
JasonB
Connoisseur
JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
I've accumulated 1,025 karma points in 3 years. I think my avatar may discourage folks from giving me karma.
Except that you now have 51,088 karma points. LOL
Old 08-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #80
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
In short, I really don't see what the problem is - it's quite amusing, fun to do, and what's wrong with that ?

Get a life............... please.
I have a life, thanks. Also, I think you're misreading the discussion. No one is saying the karma system is a bad thing, but rather, given the oddly even numbers that are popping up, someone may have hacked the system in some way. That's not likely, but it's a concern.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #81
JasonB
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
I'm proud to state (and I'm sure it's going to be believable) that with only 10 karma I'm not doing anything funny!
Make that 2,914 karma. (Consider this a dynamic number going forward. If I get to a suspiciously high number at some point, just remember that at least I had a history of not doing anything funny. LOL)
Old 08-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #82
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The more karma that you have to spend on things in the MR catalog, the better. Right? I'm saving up for a MibileRead Flurry Flyer Snow Sled!

JUST KIDDING!!!

Right this minute, I have 10,240 points available to give repeatedly up to about 20 times per day. The least I can give is 2. Try to give someone 1, and see what happens!

Karma is just for fun, both to give and receive. Enjoy it!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #83
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
hummm.. My wife constantly informs me that I'm a big JOKE but my karma with her has never gone up...
You are clearly not pressing the right buttons .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
It's our LIKE button. If someone says something that helps you out, you think is useful, funny or witty you can let them know. The karma gets high in the lounge. Great jokes get great karma. Lighten up.
wot he said.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #84
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
MibileRead Flurry Flyer Snow Sled!
Wow oh wow!! How many points do we need for two??? And does it come with two old grump MR members who can argue about kindle vs nook and epub vs mobi?!
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #85
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
Wow oh wow!! How many points do we need for two??? And does it come with two old grump MR members who can argue about kindle vs nook and epub vs mobi?!
You can get them for 10 karmas less if you agree to accept "Special "Offers" with the grumpy old MR edition.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #86
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
You can get them for 10 karmas less if you agree to accept "Special "Offers" with the grumpy old MR edition.
Now that's a party!
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #87
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
Now that's a party!
But grumpy old MR members would probably not be happy with my tea. Can I request MR members?
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #88
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
But grumpy old MR members would probably not be happy with my tea. Can I request MR members?
No, for that, you must buy the full featured edition and a 2 year contract.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #89
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Quote:
No, for that, you must buy the full featured edition and a 2 year contract.
I will take the tea, if I can grump about ereaders with no card readers...
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #90
shall1028
Nameless Being

This whole business of people with large karma points banks (e.g. 220 million) reminds me of TV poker tournaments: "Ya Biff that pot's sure huge at 220 million in chips" "I know what you mean Skipper and with blinds going up to 5 and 10 million it's not gonna take long before Johnny Poker's short stack is depleted".

I always want to yell at the TV "divide everything by 100,000 you morons".

Ah. I remember the day when if you got over 1,000 points on a pinball game you were living. Now it's, what, a billion?