Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-14-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Can man or machine find the best news stories?

The trophy is still up for grabs. On the one hand you have sites like Digg.com using the masses to socially engineer a news feed with the best stories. On the other hand you have (almost) completely computer created lists of news stories for your betterment. Which will end up better? Or will it be some kind of hybrid solution?

It's another of the many questions that will be answered over time, but for now you can get all the scoop from this Wired article.

Warning: If you follow the link, you may have to fight with one of those nasty floater ads that makes you scroll to find the "skip this ad" button. Personally, I think it might be a mistake to sponsor such an ad. If possible, I'd avoid your company if it appeared on such an ad. Don't want to deal with companies that annoy their customers and don't mind being intrusive. How can you trust them? Shame on you for using them, Wired!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:26 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I prefer Google News over Digg - in general. Google News has more coherent quality standards, and it's easier to search for older content. Digg, on the other hand, has the advantage that even news from less known sites have a chance of making it to the frontpage.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2006, 08:24 AM   #3
MatYadabyte
Zealot
MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have to say that NewsRaider (in my obviously biased mind) is the best way to find news stories that interest you. It was conceived largely because of dissatisfaction with RSS in terms of speed and availability.

Rather than use “artificial artificial intelligence” a la Google News or social networking in the Digg (Love the Digg podcast)vein, NewsRaider takes a different approach.

The idea is that if you can allow someone to speed browse a homogenous indexed array of diverse articles in the shortest time, then they will find the articles that interest them most efficiently and reliably. (That is the most long winded senstence I think I have ever written!!!)

My eyes scan probably 200 news articles a day in Newsraider, 20 of these I may read the first paragraph. 3 of them the full story.

If you haven’t tried it I suggest you do, its quite a liberating experience

NewsRaider Windows has the ability to upload to you own server so you can view the articles on your mobile phone at low data cost.

www.newsraider.com
NewsRaider is free on windows.
The Palm and PPC clients are commercial.

Thanks

Mat Ripley
Yadabyte
MatYadabyte is offline   Reply With Quote