Notices

Old 12-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
Zevs
Book lover!!
Zevs doesn't litterZevs doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505; Nowadays Stanza, Kindle, Txtr and Bluefire on iPhone
Problems with Sony's e-book library v2.5

Hi!

Upgraded to the Sony 2.5 e-book library version and can no longer reach the page on my account where my previous books are available for download. Needed to re-download a few of those to my computer, but as soon as I try to go the page where my books are, the e-books library software freezes up, and I have to Ctrl-Alt-Delete out of it. Have tried it several times and with different readers connected and always get the same result. Anyone else seen this problem and have any idea about what to do with this ?

Zevs
Zevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:16 PM   #2
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
i have the same problem!
i downloaded the software from the sony page and installed all, before i had my reader.
When i got my reader today, i installed the programs from the cd, but library said - can't write over a newer version.
When i tried to connect, i was nat able to - can't connect to the page, please check your internet connectivity.

since my internet runs well, it can only be a prob with the new version.
take care
harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
verson 2.5 is only for prs 700 users i thought
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
Zevs
Book lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
verson 2.5 is only for prs 700 users i thought
No Andy. it says on the dowlload page it works for 500, 505 and 507.

Zevs
Old 12-25-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
Zevs
Book lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry001 View Post
i have the same problem!
When i got my reader today, i installed the programs from the cd, but library said - can't write over a newer version.
When i tried to connect, i was nat able to - can't connect to the page, please check your internet connectivity.

since my internet runs well, it can only be a prob with the new version.
take care
harry
Hi Harry!, Not sure if this is the same problem though, I can connect and buy books, just not get to the page where to re-download the books I have previously bought. Sorry you have a problem also though!

Zevs
Advert
Old 12-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #6
Bookathon
Bookaholic
Bookathon doesn't litterBookathon doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1, 3, Ipad
is there a 507?
Bookathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:41 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookathon View Post
is there a 507?
No, I think he meant the 700
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:50 PM   #8
Zevs
Book lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
No, I think he meant the 700
Yep, sorry ...

Zevs
Old 12-26-2008, 01:21 PM   #9
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
I have a different problem with v2.5

I have a few books that I've owned for ages plus one book I just bought yesterday that will not load onto any device. I have tried to load them on one 505 that's about a year old with the latest firmware and onto 2 new 505 devices that were bought within the past 2 weeks, but those books WILL NOT load.

I drag and drop the book onto my reader, the status icon changes to arrows, but the transfer doesn't proceed. Sometimes the title bar changes to say "Not responding" or it just sits there doing nothing. Sometimes I can "x out" of the program, sometimes I have to use ctrl-alt-del to stop it. A couple of times I had to do a power down of my computer to stop it.

Each of the 505's I was trying to load them onto had at least 80 MB free. The books are 1.6MB and under, so I should have had plenty of memory on the devices to copy the books. When those books failed, I was immediately able to copy a 2.0MB book with no trouble.

I even tried re-downloading the purchased books (which I was able to do with no trouble), but they still would not copy. I can read those books on my authorized computer with no problems.

I think they need to release v2.51 immediately!
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetCinNC View Post
I drag and drop the book onto my reader, the status icon changes to arrows, but the transfer doesn't proceed. Sometimes the title bar changes to say "Not responding" or it just sits there doing nothing. Sometimes I can "x out" of the program, sometimes I have to use ctrl-alt-del to stop it. A couple of times I had to do a power down of my computer to stop it.
Can you just copy the book using Windows Explorer? Will that work?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:09 PM   #11
Zevs
Book lover!!

Quote:
I have a few books that I've owned for ages plus one book I just bought yesterday that will not load onto any device. I have tried to load them on one 505 that's about a year old with the latest firmware and onto 2 new 505 devices that were bought within the past 2 weeks, but those books WILL NOT load.
Yes I did also have that happen two new books out of 5 I bought before X/mas refuse to load into my Reader. If you write to the e-book store they usually try to replace the files, might be something wrong with them, and they also credit you back if you ask.

Quote:
I think they need to release v2.51 immediately!
Absolutely, agreed!

Zevs
Old 12-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #12
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Can you just copy the book using Windows Explorer? Will that work?

BOb
I haven't tried that. It's the principal of the thing, you know. It should work, it worked last week before the update, so it BETTER work now. I'm just stubborn like that!
Old 12-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I haven't tried that. It's the principal of the thing, you know. It should work, it worked last week before the update, so it BETTER work now. I'm just stubborn like that!
Understood. But this is more of a trouble shooting step... to try to see if it is actually a problem with your hardware... or if it is the elibrary software.

Many times troubleshooting is nothing more than eliminating as many variables as possible to try to isolate the real problem.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:31 PM   #14
JanetCinNC
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Understood. But this is more of a trouble shooting step... to try to see if it is actually a problem with your hardware... or if it is the elibrary software.

Many times troubleshooting is nothing more than eliminating as many variables as possible to try to isolate the real problem.

BOb
I was actually just being facetious. I worked as a Fortran programmer for many years, so I'm used to debugging. I will admit I hadn't thought of transferring it manually because I didn't know how to get it in the correct collection on my reader that way. I live and die by my collections, so I was just waiting to see if I get a reply from customer service to help me do it my preferred way.

However, I did try copying it using Windows Explorer, and it works perfectly. The book is on my reader, opens up and displays properly on my reader. Therefore, it is not the book file, it is not my hardware, it is a buggy release by Sony.

I see the buggy software that gets released by everybody and his brother, and I shake my head. I would've been fired for such shoddy work.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:15 PM   #15
Zevs
Book lover!!

Hmm... just also realized I can't sort my books in the computer library in alphabetical order using the v2.5 software. It works though for sorting books in the reader, but still...

I tried also to move files over from the reader back to the library, and after some trials it seemed to work, but then later I realized that other books I had recently bought at the same time had disappeared from the library...

grrr... we need a new bug free version of e-book library software!

Zevs