Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-20-2008, 05:55 AM   #1
Woofer
Woofer began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Convenient non-english dictionary

I'm trying to decide on an e-book device. Much of my e-book reading is going to be in French and Spanish (I'm a native English speaker myself), and the ability to have dictionary lookup is very important to me.

I'm having trouble figuring out which devices make it easy to access non-English dictionaries. The Kindle seems attractive because of the wireless features, but my impression after reading as much as I could is that you can't replace the standard English dictionary.

I think I'm leaning toward the Cybook, but is there much difference between the devices where dictionary availability and ease-of-use is concerned?

Thanks for any comments...
Woofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:32 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Gen3's dictionary lookup interface works extremely well. I use it a lot.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
You can replace the standard dictionary on the Kindle, but you can only have one "primary" dictionary at a time. Also, there are very few commercial dictionaries available yet.

There are many MobiPocket dictionaries for sale, and you can build your own with a bit of work. MobiPocket generally allows multiple dictionaries and will search all of them. Of the E-Ink devices, the Gen3 and the iLiad support MobiPocket and its multiple dictionaries. You can also use the same MobiPocket dictionaries on a Windows PC (but not a Mac or Linux desktop) and on, say, a PDA (MobiPocket allows 4 devices to be registered per "secure" dictionary/ebook).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, foreign, french, non-english, spanish