Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Thriller novels

What thriller books have you read that you can't recommend highly enough. Please make sure to mention the author's name.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I've read the first 5 books in the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. Definitely can't recommend them enough to anyone that loves a good thriller
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
And Then There Were None is an excellent classic thriller novel by Agatha Christie.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
And Then There Were None is an excellent classic thriller novel by Agatha Christie.
I'd call that a murder mystery and not a thriller.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn
The Scot Harvath series Brad Thor

Both I would highly recommend.

I've only seen the movie based on the first book (The Shooter), but I did enjoy the movie.

The Bob Lee Swagger series by Stephen Hunter.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-07-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Advert
Old 03-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Absolutely anything written by Jeffrey Deaver.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Vince Flynn, Scott Harvath and Lee Child are all great author's just cost a lot of $$$. Used to like Vince Flynn until he got expensive.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Vince Flynn, Scott Harvath and Lee Child are all great author's just cost a lot of $$$. Used to like Vince Flynn until he got expensive.
Don't blame the authors for the publisher's stupidity.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'll +1 to Lee Child, Scott Horvath, and Stephen Hunter.

In the Bob Lee Swagger series I was only disappointed with "The 47th Samurai," though I haven't read the last two in the series yet. It was still entertaining but totally failed to suspend my disbelief that Bob could learn to sword-fight that well, regardless of his natural talents.

I'd point you also to Frederik Forsyth (Day of the Jackal, The Odessa File, The Deceiver, The Fourth Protocol, and more). The pacing of his early work might seem a little slow to a modern reader but he is one of the fathers of the genre.

My favorite author in this genre is probably Robert Ludlum (The Osterman Weekend, The Bourne Identity, The Sigma Protocol, and many more). It doesn't hurt that another favorite author, Eric Van Lustbader, continued the Bourne series. Lustbader is perhaps lighter on the intricate political twists but better at writing the action scenes.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I'll +1 to Lee Child, Scott Horvath, and Stephen Hunter.
Scot (only one t) Horvath is the name of the series and Brad Thor is the author.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Wow where should I begin? Off the top of my head, some of my very favorites are:

The Snowman - Jo Nesbo
Shutter Island - Dennis Lehane
In the Woods - Tana French
The Straw Men - Michael Marshall
A Small Death in Lisbon - Robert Wilson
The Devil of Nanking - Mo Hayder
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson
Silence of the Grave - Arnaldur Indridasson
Gentleman & Players - Joanne Harris

Can't go wrong with any of these. All great.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Can the Lee Child books be read in any order? I'm number 55 on the library waiting list for The Killing Floor.(they have 4 copies) Well, it's not like I don't have hundreds and hundreds of other books to read, but that's a still long wait. I could get some of the other books sooner.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why not just buy it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #14
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Well, it's kind of expensive for an ebook that has drm and I never read anything from Lee Child before. Besides I already bought a lot of books that I still have to read. Of course, that never stopped me before. lol But you never know, I may break down and buy it sometime.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson
I don't consider this to be a thriller. It's more a mystery then anything else.