Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I know, I was just answering your question in the abstract since it's sometimes a consideration for others. <-- I guess this is as close as we have to a "pedant" smiley?
No worries
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #17
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
We have 5 days after the email to check the book out to our accounts, with loan periods options of 7, 14 and 21 days.

I was tempted for a nanosecond or two to tap "pedant" on my notebook screen to get a definition!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #18
Taya
Taya began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That doesn't sound like it's an issue for her. They trade books all the time, so they have the same tastes in reading.
Yes, we have no secrets between us... at least with the books we read! haha.

And I think we'll work out a payment agreement, although again, that's no big deal between us, we are very close and have no problem with money being spent between us.

But yes, I agree it could be a potential issue to consider between parents and under-age children, etc. I think I saw someone asking about "hiding" books - I wonder if that was why.

- Taya
Taya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
The Overdrive catalog listing should tell you how many others are in the queue for that book. Also, it is possible to return e-books early, though I suspect few folks bother to do so.
Since I know how to strip the DRM, I always take the books out for 7 days.

I think most people do not even know that they can return eBooks early.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taya View Post
Oh yes, no issue with trust whatsoever, so that should work out great for us.

Yes, the books I would be looking at would be fiction, so probably a longer wait time, but I could always buy it if I'm impatient or get something from my aunt.

Thank you everyone, you've answered all my questions and it has been a big help! My brain can take a rest now and have Christmas dinner!

- Taya
If you didn't mind, you can use the same account for both of you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #21
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I have 7 days.
I get 10.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #22
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
What are your books-out and holds maximums? Ours is 25 each.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I get 10.
I've been one upped.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Yes, we have no secrets between us... at least with the books we read! haha.

And I think we'll work out a payment agreement, although again, that's no big deal between us, we are very close and have no problem with money being spent between us.

But yes, I agree it could be a potential issue to consider between parents and under-age children, etc. I think I saw someone asking about "hiding" books - I wonder if that was why.

- Taya
Happy reading to the two of you. Let us know how it goes and if you need any more assistance.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #25
Taya

I got my Nook a few days ago. I read for about 2 hours on it last night and have to say I'm completely impressed/excited/enthralled/happy. I love it!! The only thing I could see being annoying was:
1) typing on the virtual keyboard. sucks.
2) organizing/shelving. why do I have to shelve my B&N bought books and My Documents separately?

other than that, I'm in love, I love the touch screen at the bottom, I've already converted a MOBI file to EPUB without a hitch (with Calibre) and yeah, I just love it! Can't wait for my aunt to get one and see how the sharing books thing works!

Oh, got a book from the e-library too, but basically they had zero good books to take out so I just took out one for a trial. I think the library option is a small one, at least until the future when there are tons of books available. But that's okay, I managed to get quite a few books from various other sources that will keep me busy for a LONG time!

~Taya
Old 01-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #26
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Congratulations!

Re: the shelving thing. Apparently if you root your Nook, you can apply certain features across the board to all your books, and not have them only "work" for the B&N-acquired books. Voids your warranty though, but plenty of people do it anyway and there's lots of people on the Nook forum here who'll be happy to help.

You probably already know this, but there's plenty of time-limited publisher promo free B&N books given away every week. They're mostly evangelical Christian fiction and steamy romance, but if those aren't to your tastes, there's also mystery/thriller, sf/fantasy, and general literary fiction showing up on an occasional basis.

Just check the Deals forum here, or better yet, a thread on B&N's own NookBooks discussion board called "Free NOOKbooks summary thread", where a guy very kindly lists all the still-available ones with an update every few days on the last page.

Happy reading!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #27
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Quote:
I got my Nook a few days ago...........

Oh, got a book from the e-library too, but basically they had zero good books to take out so I just took out one for a trial. I think the library option is a small one, at least until the future when there are tons of books available. But that's okay, I managed to get quite a few books from various other sources that will keep me busy for a LONG time!

~Taya
Congrats

Surprised about your library not having a good selection.......mine does....actually I'm a member in 2 separate counties.....A nice selection, with lots of the newer releases.....of course I'm in the queue for a several of them....
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #28
Taya

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Congrats

Surprised about your library not having a good selection.......mine does....actually I'm a member in 2 separate counties.....A nice selection, with lots of the newer releases.....of course I'm in the queue for a several of them....
Yes, I should have rephrased that. They had zero good books at the moment to take out - most of them I had to wait in a queue for...

Also, thanks for the free B&N book info, I will look into it!

I might root in the future, just don't want to void my warranty for a while yet.

~Taya
Old 01-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #29
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
The other way to look at the queue for eBooks is that it's essentially a one-off delay as far as reading is concerned. Obviously things vary, but if you regularly add books you're interested in to your hold list then after a few weeks you'll have a regular stream of books becoming available.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #30
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
The Overdrive catalog listing should tell you how many others are in the queue for that book. Also, it is possible to return e-books early, though I suspect few folks bother to do so.
I return things early all the time.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote