Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #46
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
My Aura HD uses a Merriam-Webster dictionary. I'm actually happy with it. I prefer the MW pronunciation symbols, which I can decipher easier than Oxford's. It's encrypted, so I doubt you can use it on the PC.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #47
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
On the Aura with firmware 2.5.1, the installation procedure given earlier in this thread for dictionary zip files only works partially, at least for installing the English dictionary that is not installed by default.

After copying the English dictionary to the .kobo/dict directory on the device, it becomes available for looking up words in a book, but if you tap the Dictionary lookup function on the bottom bar, it always says that there is no English dictionary available. If you switch the dictionary to another language using the dropdown list, enter a word, then switch back to English, it will successfully look up the word in the English dictionary. But it doesn't stick - the next time you call up the dictionary function, it will again tell you initially that there is no English dictionary.

Unfortunately in order to add dictionaries the "approved" way, you must also take the latest firmware update, whether you want it or not.
Has there been a workaround for this yet? I just rolled back to 2.4, I can't get the dictionaries to work, it wants to connect to the interweb. :s
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #48
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Well, I may have found a solution for the dictionary issue:

I deleted the dictionary that was installed with my firmware 2.4, installed the one I downloaded from the link here, and also installed the english-german translation dictionary (for the hell of it). I ejected the device, let it boot up, suddenly the dictionaries are working.
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #49
Mailiis
Mailiis began at the beginning.

Device: None
Hello everyone! I'm considering buying a Kobo Glo. Do these dictionaries work for Glo also? Especially with books that I haven't bought from Kobo's store.
Mailiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #50
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The Kobo ereaders share firmware. Most function is the same across all of them. The dictionaries work the same for all devices.

Dictionary lookup is supported for sideloaded epubs. I don't use the other formats enough to know if it works for them as well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:06 AM   #51
davdenic
davdenic began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hi all,
i'm looking for a dictionary german-italian someone knows where to find it, download or convert?
Thank you for any suggestion
davdenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #52
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
This may be a weird question but is there a medical dictionary for kobo (glo)?
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:19 PM   #53
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
This may be a weird question but is there a medical dictionary for kobo (glo)?
Not that I've heard of. If you have access to one, you could follow the instructions to convert to the appropriate format and load in place of an existing language.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:24 PM   #54
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Not that I've heard of. If you have access to one, you could follow the instructions to convert to the appropriate format and load in place of an existing language.
ok...thanks
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:32 AM   #55
zufre
Connoisseur
zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo/Nook ST
I tried replacing the original English dictionary by the Webster one but it seems it does not work anymore. My Kobo Glo says I got no English dictionary installed after the replacement. Tried it a couple of times.
I got firmware 3.3.0.
However the Japanese to English one works OK.
Strange.
zufre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:15 AM   #56
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zufre View Post
I tried replacing the original English dictionary by the Webster one but it seems it does not work anymore. My Kobo Glo says I got no English dictionary installed after the replacement. Tried it a couple of times.
I got firmware 3.3.0.
However the Japanese to English one works OK.
Strange.
You could look into KoboReader.sqlite, and see whether by some accident the values for downloaded, installed and/or similar of the English dictionary entry have changed, and set them to the same values as you see them for one of your working dictionaries.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:32 AM   #57
zufre
Connoisseur
zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I dont think that is the case.
Synchronizing the Kobo I get the standard English dictionary again but when I copy the Merriam Webster deleting the standard one my Kobo says it has no English dictionary when I search an English word.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #58
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zufre View Post
I dont think that is the case.
Synchronizing the Kobo I get the standard English dictionary again but when I copy the Merriam Webster deleting the standard one my Kobo says it has no English dictionary when I search an English word.
I just tried it on my Kobo Touch, and it worked without any problem. You certainly unzip the dicthtml.zip from the Websters1913.zip. Don't you?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #59
zufre
Connoisseur

Maybe I just changed the name. I will try it again soon...
Thanks!
Old 06-13-2014, 01:55 AM   #60
zufre
Connoisseur

You were right! I must have just changed the name of the zip, silly me!
Once uncompressed it worked perfectly. I like the Webster dictionary, in fact it was one Webster dictionary what I used to learn English.
Thank you!