Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
szfisher
Enthusiast
szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kindel Touch
Need help for unbricking PW 5.3.1

My PW 5.3.1 was bricked yesterday because I changed some system jar files. Luckly I had installed jailbreak and rescue pack on it, so I could boot it in "diags" mode at first. I restored the original files throught USB network and reboot it in "main" mode, but it still came to YKNR-screen.
At that time I thinked that I should remove /var/local/upstart/*.restarts, so I rebooted it in "diags" mode again. I was not able to connect it through USB network anymore althought I could ping it. Finally I copyed file update_kindle_5.3.1.bin to /mnt/us, it upgraded after rebooting. Unfortunately it still came to YKNR-screen and I was not able to boot it in "diags" mode again.
I thinked if I excuted "remove /var/local/upstart/*.restarts" or "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K count=1K" while it reboot, it will be unbricked. I copyed NiLuJe's data.stgz and runme.sh to /mnt/us, but it seemed not to work. Can anybody tell me what I should try next?
szfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by szfisher View Post
My PW 5.3.1 was bricked yesterday because I changed some system jar files. Luckly I had installed jailbreak and rescue pack on it, so I could boot it in "diags" mode at first. I restored the original files throught USB network and reboot it in "main" mode, but it still came to YKNR-screen.

At that time I thinked that I should remove /var/local/upstart/*.restarts, so I rebooted it in "diags" mode again. I was not able to connect it through USB network anymore althought I could ping it. Finally I copyed file update_kindle_5.3.1.bin to /mnt/us, it upgraded after rebooting. Unfortunately it still came to YKNR-screen and I was not able to boot it in "diags" mode again.

I thinked if I excuted "remove /var/local/upstart/*.restarts" or "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K count=1K" while it reboot, it will be unbricked. I copyed NiLuJe's data.stgz and runme.sh to /mnt/us, but it seemed not to work. Can anybody tell me what I should try next?
I believe that you've just put yourself into a S.O.L. situation. By installing the official update, you have deleted the rescue pack, and thus have essentially removed all means to get into diagnostics mode and to fix the system.

No, data.stgz and runme.sh files do not work on the Kindle Paperwhite (> 5.2.0; and there are no official 5.2.0 .bins available for download).

AFAIK, your only solution now is to open the device and access it through a serial cable. Sorry, and good luck.

Last edited by ixtab; 02-25-2013 at 05:07 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
szfisher
Enthusiast
szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.szfisher seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I believe that you've just put yourself into a S.O.L. situation. By installing the official update, you have deleted the rescue pack, and thus have essentially removed all means to get into diagnostics mode and to fix the system.

No, data.stgz and runme.sh files do not work on the Kindle Paperwhite (> 5.2.0; and there are no official 5.2.0 .bins available for download).

AFAIK, your only solution now is to open the device and access it through a serial cable. Sorry, and good luck.
It's a jailbroken PW. Can we make the rescue pack able to be loaded automatically while rebooting just like offical update file?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's a jailbroken PW. Can we make the rescue pack able to be loaded automatically while rebooting just like offical update file?
No. We can't just let our packages pretend to be official Amazon updates. If we could, there would be no need for a jailbreak.

(And no, your device is NOT jailbroken anymore. By installing the official update, you have removed the jailbreak, so your device is a "normal" PW now).

Last edited by ixtab; 02-25-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
szfisher
Enthusiast

Quote:
No. We can't just let our packages pretend to be official Amazon updates. If we could, there would be no need for a jailbreak.

(And no, your device is NOT jailbroken anymore. By installing the official update, you have removed the jailbreak, so your device is a "normal" PW now).
Maybe we will wait someone fnd magic key on PW...
Old 02-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
We have the info on the Kpw serial port and the video on how to get it open indexed in the prefix index system here.

The /var/local sub-tree is persistent, but you can delete everything below that and the system will re-build it on the next boot.

Hook up the serial port, cd to that directory, clean things up to your liking, reboot.

Since you only need the serial port for a few minutes, you can try taping the wires in place rather than solder to them.
A bit shaky, but others have done it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Maybe we will wait someone fnd magic key on PW...
I suspect that will be a very long wait.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
szfisher
Enthusiast

Quote:

ixtab, I have a question. Why I cann't connect to PW via USBnet secondly before I reinstalled official update? I just restore an original file in first connection. After I reboot it, I cann't connect it anymore.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #9
szfisher
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
We have the info on the Kpw serial port and the video on how to get it open indexed in the prefix index system here.

The /var/local sub-tree is persistent, but you can delete everything below that and the system will re-build it on the next boot.

Hook up the serial port, cd to that directory, clean things up to your liking, reboot.

Since you only need the serial port for a few minutes, you can try taping the wires in place rather than solder to them.
A bit shaky, but others have done it.
I am sure I can connect my PW via serial port. But I am not sure I can cd to "/var/local" when I boot via serial port.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #10
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
give it a try...
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am sure I can connect my PW via serial port. But I am not sure I can cd to "/var/local" when I boot via serial port.
Yes, you can.
Really.
For certain.
You have been brave enough about taking wild chances, don't wimp-out now.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #12
szfisher
Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes, you can.
Really.
For certain.
You have been brave enough about taking wild chances, don't wimp-out now.
when I boot my kp via serial port, system halt like this:

U-Boot 2009.08-lab126 (Nov 29 2012 - 23:18:55)
Code:
CPU:   Freescale i.MX50 family 1.1V at 800 MHz
mx50 pll1: 800MHz
mx50 pll2: 400MHz
mx50 pll3: 216MHz
ipg clock     : 66666666Hz
ipg per clock : 66666666Hz
uart clock    : 24000000Hz
ahb clock     : 133333333Hz
axi_a clock   : 400000000Hz
axi_b clock   : 200000000Hz
weim_clock    : 100000000Hz
ddr clock     : 800000000Hz
esdhc1 clock  : 80000000Hz
esdhc2 clock  : 80000000Hz
esdhc3 clock  : 80000000Hz
esdhc4 clock  : 80000000Hz
MMC:  FSL_ESDHC: 0, FSL_ESDHC: 1
Board: Celeste WFO (256 MB)
Boot Reason: [POR]
Boot Device: MMC
Board Id: 00A1xxx
S/N: B024xxx
DRAM:  256 MB
Using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   logbuff
Err:   logbuff
Quick Memory Test 0x70000000, 0xfffc000
POST done in 17 ms
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0 
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 70800000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-2.6.31-rt11-lab126
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    4608640 Bytes =  4.4 MB
   Load Address: 70008000
   Entry Point:  70008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Loading Kernel Image ... OK
OK
Starting kernel ...
MX50 LPDDR2 MfgID: 0x1 [Samsung]
2.6.31-rt11-lab126 #1 Thu Nov 29 23:37:38 PST 2012 armv7l
INFO:Loaded module /lib/modules/eink_fb_waveform.ko  (39836 bytes)
INFO:Loaded module /lib/modules/mxc_epdc_fb.ko default_panel_hw_init=1 default_update_mode=1 (51424 bytes)
INFO:eink initialized... (786432 bytes)
Press [ENTER] for recovery menu...       0 /INFO:!!! Checking MBR /dev/mmcblk0 !!!!  
INFO:partition 2, start sector is 782336
INFO:partition 3, start sector is 913408
INFO:partition 4, start sector is 1044480
INFO:maximizing partition 2797568 sectors
INFO:*** Partition table verified for /dev/mmcblk0 ***
INFO:Checking for updates... (auto-pilot mode)
/dev/mmcblk0p4:
CHS=4/16/43712 size=1432354816 bytes
flag type      first       last  lba first   lba size
Partition p1:
0x00 0x0b         16 <large>            16    2797552
    CHS: 0/1/1 - <large>
Partition p2:
Partition p3:
Partition p4:
INFO:Setup loop device /dev/loop0 for /dev/mmcblk0p4 + 8192
INFO:No update*.bin found; no update needed.
INFO:no updates found.
BOOTING DEFAULT.
  argc == 11
  argv[0]: "kinit"
  argv[1]: "consoleblank=0"
  argv[2]: "rootwait"
  argv[3]: "ro"
  argv[4]: "ip=off"
  argv[5]: "root=/dev/mmcblk0p1"
  argv[6]: "quiet"
  argv[7]: "eink=fslepdc"
  argv[8]: "video=mxcepdcfb:E60,bpp=8,x_mem=4M"
  argv[9]: "mem=256M"
  argv[10]: "console=ttymxc0,115200"
  argc == 4
  argv[0]: "IP-Config"
  argv[1]: "-i"
  argv[2]: "Linux kinit"
  argv[3]: "ip=off"
IP-Config: no devices to configure
kinit: do_mounts
kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/mmcblk0p1) = dev(179,1)
kinit: root_dev = dev(179,1)
kinit: /dev/root appears to be a ext3 filesystem
kinit: trying to mount /dev/root on /root with type ext3
kinit: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly.
info system:emiting_event:mounted_proc:
info system:emiting_event:mounted_sys:
info system:emiting_event:mounted_dev:
info system:emiting_event:mounted_tmpfs:
info milestone:5.86:sy50:
init.exe: recevent pre-start process (495) terminated with status 1
info system:start:time=5910:
info hardware:no_wan::WiFi only device. No WAN found
info system:config:platform=yoshime3,board=celeste,rev=21,proto=N,wifi=Y,wan=N:
info milestone:6.15:sy51:
info milestone:6.81:sy99:
info system:done:time=6830:
info system_cramfs_loopbacks:mountingcramfs:Mounting compressed directories filesystem images:
info system_cramfs_loopbacks:mounted:Image /lib/firmware/cyttsp.cramfs.img mounted:
info system_cramfs_loopbacks:mounted:Image /usr/share/X11/xkb.cramfs.img mounted:
info system_cramfs_loopbacks:mounted:Image /usr/java/lib/fonts.cramfs.img mounted:
info system_cramfs_loopbacks:mounted:Image /etc/kdb.src.cramfs.img mounted:
info system_cramfs_loopbacks:mounted:Image /usr/lib/locale.cramfs.img mounted:
info system_cramfs_loopbacks:mounted:Image /usr/share/keyboard.cramfs.img mounted:
info system:emiting_event:mounted_cramfs_loopbacks:
info milestone:7.45:fs75:
info system:emiting_event:loaded_modules_dependencies:
info modules:modprobe:loading module g_file_storage:
info system:emiting_event:loaded_g_file_storage:
info modules:modprobe:loading module fuse:
info system:emiting_event:loaded_fuse:

Welcome to Kindle!

kindle login: info system:emiting_event:loaded_ppp_async:
info milestone:7.93:fs00:
info system:emiting_event:loaded_fakekey:
info system:emiting_event:mounted_varLocal:
info milestone:8.15:fs25:
info milestone:8.19:vi00:
info milestone:8.47:vi99:
info display:started:time=8480:
info system:emiting_event:display_ready:
info userstore:run:time=8750,action=start:
info battery:charged:cap=99,mV=4167,mAH=1396:
info userstore:found_shutdown_flag::Found SHUTDOWN flag file
info system:emiting_event:battery_ready:
info system:emiting_event:mounted_userstore:
info milestone:9.41:fs50:
info milestone:9.44:fs90:
info milestone:9.46:fs99:
info cyttsp:update:vendor=CANDO:
info system:emiting_event:loaded_touch:
info milestone:19.98:sys99:
info system:emiting_event:dbus_ready:
info dbus:check-update:status=2:dbus_ready sent
info milestone:21.40:xx00:
info X:load:time=21490:
info X:xorg.conf:Generating xorg.conf:
info X:makexconfig:Celeste Input device detection status:
info X:makexconfig:Touch device: OK:
info X:makexconfig:Accelerometer device: N/A !!:
info X:xorg.conf:xorg.conf generated:
info milestone:22.03:xx50:
info X:starting:time=22070:
info milestone:27.38:xx99:
info X:started:time=27390:
info system:emiting_event:x_setup_ready:
info locale:read:lang=zh_CN.utf8,lc_all=zh_CN.utf8:Retrieved Language
info system:emiting_event:langpicker_ready:
crit lab126_gui:reboots=2,max=2:shutting down and showing customer service page:
info shutdown:begin:level=0,halt=1,special=cust_service:
info shutdown:closing password dialog::
info blanket_f:loading blanket module:shutdown:
info shutdown_showimage:screen:splashing screen:cust_service
info shutdown_showimage:screen:waiting for cust_service screen to come up:
boot: W def:hlt:halt=Device,version=179537:
info upstart_f:stopping_job:job=lab126:
info upstart_f:stopping_job:job=x:
info upstart_f:jobs_stopped:elapsed_ms=4920,timeout_ms=45000:
info shutdown:cust_service:starting:
info ss_cust_service:nothing to do for this shutdown mode:"cust_service":
info ss_cust_service:completed successfully::
info shutdown:cust_service:done:
info upstart_f:stopping_job:job=filesystems:
info filesystems_userstore:unmount_userstore:Unmounting UserStore:
info filesystems_var_local:rotate_log:Rotating Logs:
info userstore:run:time=37960,action=stop:
info userstore:found_bootup_flag::Found BOOTUP flag file
info filesystems_var_local:unmount_varLocal:Unmounting VarLocal:
info upstart_f:jobs_stopped:elapsed_ms=5490,timeout_ms=30000:
info shutdown:mounting root filesystem read-only::
info shutdown:syncing disks::
info shutdown:end:level=0,halt=1:
System halted.
Halting ...
I do not know how to do next. Help me please!

Last edited by twobob; 05-08-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: elided serial number and board ID
Old 03-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
ixtab
(offline)

I can't help with the serial port, but this line looks suspicious:

info userstore:found_shutdown_flag::Found SHUTDOWN flag file
Maybe get rid of that file...?
Old 03-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
System halted.
Halting ...

I do not know how to do next. Help me please!
Next time - use a spoiler tag.

Read this:

Fix that.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
szfisher
Enthusiast

Quote:
Next time - use a spoiler tag.

Read this:

Fix that.
Can you tell me how to fix it? Where is the BOOTUP flag file? in directory /mnt/us? I have no any idea about that.