Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #46
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
So, I also got this email:

Hello from Amazon.com,

xxxx@xxxxx.xxx has sent the following document to your free Personal Document Service account ("name"@free.kindle.com):
Berserker - Steve Jordan.azw

You can download this document to your computer by logging into your Amazon.com account and clicking on the link below:
Berserker - Steve Jordan.azw
You can then transfer the document to your Kindle through the USB cable (or an SD memory card).

We have also archived your document in your Kindle Library. For more information about archiving personal documents, visit http://www.amazon.com/kindlepersonaldocuments/
Note: Retrieving archived personal documents is currently supported on these Kindle devices: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, and Kindle.

You can learn more about transferring personal documents to your Kindle in our help pages:
http://www.amazon.com/kindlepersonaldocuments/
If you would like immediate assistance, please contact customer support at +1-866-321-8851 (US customers) or +1-206-266-0927 (International Customers).

Sincerely,
Amazon Kindle Support

---

so apparently they won't send this to my Kindle classic.. even though I did use the non-free email address it says above it was sent to the free address.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #47
mtsp
Enthusiast
mtsp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
I have done the same as pilotbob, received the same email and it was delivered to my Kindle keyboard.
My problem now is that news delivered through Calibre via mail will now occupy my Personal Documents folder...
mtsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #48
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They've done this before: they seem to do a "pilot release" of new firmware, and wait to see if any problems are reported, before doing a full-scale release. It happened that way with the 3.1 firmware, if memory serves me correctly.
3.1 they put up on the website as "beta" to let anyone who wanted be a tester before the official roll-out. Thats why I find it so odd how they are doing it this time.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #49
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
My understand is, yes, as long as it is a mobi document Whispersync will work on it just like it does for purchased content.

I read something about this not working on the software, but just on the devices. I could be wrong about that though.

BOb
Ability to download from Personal Document storage is restricted to Kindle Keyboard (K3, when it is updated), Kindle ('K4') and Kindle Touch. I assume you will be able to push the content to the other Kindle devices and apps from MYK but that capability is not available yet.

'Auto-deliver' is restricted to Kindle devices which are associated with the new, account-specific send-to-kindle email address. I assume the older Kindle specific addresses will still work as before (except stuff will get archived as well if you have that option turned on).

Maybe this was always the case, but it looks like you can't address more than 15 Kindle send-to addresses at a time. So ad-hoc 'subscriptions' (e.g. book club email groups, etc.) will have to take that into account. I subscribe to something called 'deliverreads' that gets sent directly to my Kindle's email address, and I hope that I'll still continue to get their stuff.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #50
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsp View Post
I have done the same as pilotbob, received the same email and it was delivered to my Kindle keyboard.
My problem now is that news delivered through Calibre via mail will now occupy my Personal Documents folder...
Same problem here.........we need on the fly control of personal docs
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #51
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
'Auto-deliver' is restricted to Kindle devices which are associated with the new, account-specific send-to-kindle email address. I assume the older Kindle specific addresses will still work as before (except stuff will get archived as well if you have that option turned on).
That doesn't seem to be the case. I sent it to my unique email address, it went into personal documents but didn't schedule to deliver it to my kindle.. which is a K1.

Also, in the personal documents the "send to my.." is only letting my select the Kindle Touch 3G I have on pre-order. It isn't letting me choose my Kindle Classic, or my wifes K3 or even the Kindle Fire. I'm not sure why.

Looks like I'm going to have to de-register and register.

I wonder thought, has anybody done it? I want to keep my current email address to be my "send-to-kinde" address. Is that possible?

Ah, I didn't have personal deliver over 3G enabled. I enabled it. I'm going to send another and see what happens.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 10-04-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #52
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

I de-registered and re-registered my Kindle Classic. I used that Kindles email address as my "send to kindle" email. It looks like you can edit your send-to-email address if you want.

Strange though, I still can't send a personal document to my Kindle classic.. even thought I have send via 3G enabled.

BOb
Old 10-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #53
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I de-registered and re-registered my Kindle Classic. I used that Kindles email address as my "send to kindle" email. It looks like you can edit your send-to-email address if you want.

Strange though, I still can't send a personal document to my Kindle classic.. even thought I have send via 3G enabled.

BOb
So you still get to set the 'send to kindle' email address?

I really don't understand why they changed this. I don't see benefits to users or to Amazon.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #54
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Edit: Someone already said what I said. Sorry for bumping.

Last edited by kranu; 10-04-2011 at 10:27 PM.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:00 AM   #55
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
So you still get to set the 'send to kindle' email address?

I really don't understand why they changed this. I don't see benefits to users or to Amazon.
Yes. It set it automatically to what my kindle had previously been using.

But, you can click "edit" on the email address just like you used to be able to.

BOb
Old 10-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #56
Oletros
Connoisseur
Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle NT
I have received this mail from Amazon:

Quote:
As a past user of the Kindle Personal Documents Service, we are pleased to let you know about some improvements:
• Your documents are now automatically archived in your Kindle library (you can control this from the Manage Your Kindle page at www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle).
• Archived documents can be re-downloaded from your archive to the all-new Kindle and Kindle Touch devices, as well as Kindle Keyboard (Kindle 3rd Generation--requires the latest software update v3.3 from www.amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates) – you will be able to find and download your documents from any of these devices that are registered to your account.
• Now (just as with Kindle books) Whispersync automatically synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks and annotations for your documents (with the exception of PDFs) across devices.

We expect to extend these features to Kindle Fire and Kindle apps (such as Kindle Cloud Reader, Kindle for Android, Kindle for iPhone, Kindle for PC, and Kindle for Mac) in the coming months.
Mmmm, an online library for our ebooks?
Oletros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #57
nickinev
Enthusiast
nickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the rough

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 1, K4, and Kindle Fire
I just got the email and I'm so glad that they're going to allow us to send our personal documents to our apps in the future! I just learned how to adjust my books using mobi2mobi, but not all books work with the apple apps for some reason.

Nicole
nickinev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:39 PM   #58
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I love the new Synch feature! I can have Pdoc books on my K3 & K4 and they update to the currently read page on both but it does give me a choice when I open the book on my K4. It asks if I want to synch to last page read on my K3. I don't know if that part is new but it is for me.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:15 AM   #59
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I love the new Synch feature! I can have Pdoc books on my K3 & K4 and they update to the currently read page on both but it does give me a choice when I open the book on my K4. It asks if I want to synch to last page read on my K3. I don't know if that part is new but it is for me.
That's how it normally works with a proper Kindle book for me.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #60
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
This is a great update, and almost everything I wanted.

As it stands now, I can't use it for my sideloaded books, because Calibre doesn't send the file with pages data to Kindle, so I get stuck with Locations.

Besides, they really should integrate this with Cloud Drive (e.g. upload a book to the Documents folder and it becomes available on the Kindle).
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote