Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-23-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Any symbols not to use?

Oh second thought to my problem I noticed the file I was trying up upload that had a problem contained the & symbol in both the title, filename and author (triple threat!), so just wondering if that caused the problem?
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
In html, the & character is an escape character which should introduce a named or numbered character entity. It is not clear to me (I can't find a reference) what should happen when there is no valid entity after the & character. So locking up is a possibility; but not a good choice, of course. The title and author, of course, are meta data, part of the html, so, no bare-naked & allowed. If you must have an & in meta data, it should be expressed as & or & - but I haven't tested that anywhere - an exercise for the interested student... or something to add to the epub conformance tests.

In most Linux shells, the & character is the backgrounding operator, so if you must have a & in a filename, you have to quote the filename. Since you can't know how the reader's embedded code handles filenames, the & is best avoided in filenames, as well.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert