Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
cancan
cancan began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
BOOKS ADDED to KOBO DO NOT SHOW UP ON LIBRARY AND ÏM READING

Hi evveryone, I just received my KOBO today and initially managed to add books successfully via calibre as well as adobe digital editions. The books would turn up both on my library as well as "i'm reading" on the KOBO. However, after I used the Borders Desktop Application to SYNC after creating and login to my new account. I could add the books(i tried both pdf and epub) by cutting and pasting onto KOBO folder (as a USB device) as well as the SD card, however, the added books would not show up on LIBRARY nor the Im reading list. I have tried both a soft reset and hard reset (several times!) to no avail. Adobe digital editions also can detect the kobo when plugged in and copy the books over, however, similarly i am unable to find the book listed in library nor im reading. Calibre is able to get device information and show the kobo, however, when it tries to "Get list of books on device", the error message will pop up with "error comnunicating with device", under details it states:"dababase disk image is malformed". As mentioned, i have tried both soft reset as well as hard reset and neither works. The original 100 books that came preloaded are all still there tho. I have written to KOBO help forum, but if anyone here has any idea how to fix this, please let me know...coz now i cant read anything else than the pre-loaded books on KOBO....sigh.... and i was just beginnning to enjoy it!!
cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
cancan
cancan began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
SOLVED!

wow, i actually managed to finally solve the problem after HOURS of PAINNNNN, i read up on several threads regarding the similar problem.
This order of things solved the problem for me.

(1) Connect KOBO to PC with USB.
(2) Open KOBO folders and DELETE the file koboreader.sqlite (okie, i cut and copied it onto my PC desktop - i HATE this file).
(3) Eject KOBO. All 100 pre-loaded books would have disappeared from your KOBO upon update.
(4) GO to Settings and Advanced and RESET to factory default.
(5) Afer reset, power up KOBO, connect to PC again, go to Borders(or KOBO) desktop application (yes, i firmly believe that this is the stupid program that caused all my problems) and click SYNC.
(6) Afer SYNC, disconnect KOBO and I saw all the epubs and pdf and ade that were on my sdcard as well as main memory.
(7) Re-connect KOBO to PC and start Calibre and it can once again read the contents and add and delete contents off KOBO.

THings i will do NOW:
DELETE THAT pesky koboreader.sqlite file from my desktop - i can do without the 100 free books, if i cant read my own books, what is the point of having them???
UNINSTALL borders desktop application, if only i didnt use the program at all (curiousity killed several hours of mine !!) i would have been able to zz 3 hours ago !!!!!

THINGS I WILL NOT DO IN FUTURE
KOBO> sorry, until i hear that your firmware UPDATE is FINE and i mean FINE from all the reviews, i am NOT going to touch it at all. Your desktop application was painful as it is.....
cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
OK, I see you found a solution while I was double checking mine.

When I connect my Kobo to a Linux computer I don't see a kobo folder, but when I connect it to my Windows XP laptop, I see a .kobo folder along with a couple of other dot-name folders and the Installers folder.

The .kobo folder is a private folder which has the database in it, and a few other files needed by the reader software. I put my epub files outside all the folders and they get found and processed. If you have put your books inside the .kobo folder try dragging them outside so that they show up along side all the folders. Then do a software eject before you unplug the Kobo from the computer. It may take quite some time to do all the processing, but eventually all your books should show up. Please let us know how that works, or if we haven't understood your problem.

Last edited by pholy; 06-30-2010 at 06:36 PM. Reason: He 'fixed' it himself...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
maggieb5555
maggieb5555 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancan View Post
wow, i actually managed to finally solve the problem after HOURS of PAINNNNN, i read up on several threads regarding the similar problem.
This order of things solved the problem for me.

(1) Connect KOBO to PC with USB.
(2) Open KOBO folders and DELETE the file koboreader.sqlite (okie, i cut and copied it onto my PC desktop - i HATE this file).
(3) Eject KOBO. All 100 pre-loaded books would have disappeared from your KOBO upon update.
(4) GO to Settings and Advanced and RESET to factory default.
(5) Afer reset, power up KOBO, connect to PC again, go to Borders(or KOBO) desktop application (yes, i firmly believe that this is the stupid program that caused all my problems) and click SYNC.
(6) Afer SYNC, disconnect KOBO and I saw all the epubs and pdf and ade that were on my sdcard as well as main memory.
(7) Re-connect KOBO to PC and start Calibre and it can once again read the contents and add and delete contents off KOBO.

THings i will do NOW:
DELETE THAT pesky koboreader.sqlite file from my desktop - i can do without the 100 free books, if i cant read my own books, what is the point of having them???
UNINSTALL borders desktop application, if only i didnt use the program at all (curiousity killed several hours of mine !!) i would have been able to zz 3 hours ago !!!!!

THINGS I WILL NOT DO IN FUTURE
KOBO> sorry, until i hear that your firmware UPDATE is FINE and i mean FINE from all the reviews, i am NOT going to touch it at all. Your desktop application was painful as it is.....
THANKYOU!!! I had same problem as you..followed your instructions and voila!!! Problem solved...I am ONLY using Adobe software now...thanks again....your pain saved me a few hours
maggieb5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
I removed the sqlite database as soon as I got my Kobo and have only used Calibre to load books. Works like a charm. I have no need for the Kobo desktop application as I have found buying books is usually cheaper elsewhere as well.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
cristianm
cristianm began at the beginning.

Device: Boox 60, Kindle 3, PRS-650
Is it just me, or the PDFs doesn't show on I'm Reading screen at all?

I've properly formatted some old docs I have, converted them to pdf using Adobe Acrobat (this way seems easier to preserve page typography and the desired fonts), I can read them ok but they do not go into I'm Reading section, making a bit difficult to find and open them again straight from the library.

On the other hand the epubs I open ARE listed into I'm Reading. Had anyone else notice this particular behaviour?
cristianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
KjellM
Connoisseur
KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Glo HD, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristianm View Post
Is it just me, or the PDFs doesn't show on I'm Reading screen at all?

I've properly formatted some old docs I have, converted them to pdf using Adobe Acrobat (this way seems easier to preserve page typography and the desired fonts), I can read them ok but they do not go into I'm Reading section, making a bit difficult to find and open them again straight from the library.

On the other hand the epubs I open ARE listed into I'm Reading. Had anyone else notice this particular behaviour?
At the top of the I'M READING screen just under the underline of I'M READING you will see "BOOKS - DOCUMENTS", and one of them will be bolded. D pad up from the top entry on I'M Reading and the bolded item, in your case BOOKS will now have a line above and below it. D pad right and the lines will move above and below DOCUMENTS. D pad Select and you should now see the I'M READING PDFs.
KjellM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:01 AM   #8
cristianm
cristianm began at the beginning.

Device: Boox 60, Kindle 3, PRS-650
Thank you for the tip, KjellM.

Unfortunatelly it doesn't work for me: when I chose I'M READING - BOOKS I'm taken to the "Books" screen where I see the whole library of epubs, whether selecting I'M READING - DOCUMENTS takes me to the "Documents" screen containing the entire library of pdfs.

I followed cancan's procedure too, only to obtain the same result. Strange things happen here ...
cristianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:26 AM   #9
kiwikobo
Enthusiast
kiwikobo doesn't litterkiwikobo doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Deleting the sqlite file is the first line in the instruction leaflet that strangely doesn't exist. All of these books (or rather, the selection of them that interests you) can be downloaded from Project Gutenberg free and transferred/maintained by Calibre.
kiwikobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:15 AM   #10
m.rykov
m.rykov solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.m.rykov solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.m.rykov solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.m.rykov solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.m.rykov solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.m.rykov solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.m.rykov solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.m.rykov solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.m.rykov solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.m.rykov solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.m.rykov solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo Mini
Hi all, just want to share how to copy *.epub files from your PC to a Kobo Mini.
This is the only working approach I found. It has a downside - after doing that you'll loose all your reading history. So I'm uploading new .epub files to a Kobo Mini only after reading all existing ones.

1. install Calibre
2. connect your Kobo to the PC
3. send *.epub files to your Kobo Mini using Calibre
4. disconnect your Kobo
5. log out from your Kobo account on a device
6. log in again
7. voila! all books appeared in your Kobo's Library

did it many times, works like a charm
m.rykov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:41 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.rykov View Post
Hi all, just want to share how to copy *.epub files from your PC to a Kobo Mini.
This is the only working approach I found. It has a downside - after doing that you'll loose all your reading history. So I'm uploading new .epub files to a Kobo Mini only after reading all existing ones.

1. install Calibre
2. connect your Kobo to the PC
3. send *.epub files to your Kobo Mini using Calibre
4. disconnect your Kobo
5. log out from your Kobo account on a device
6. log in again
7. voila! all books appeared in your Kobo's Library

did it many times, works like a charm
Two things:

- All Kobo ereaders allow sideloading of books. They should be processed into the devices library when you disconnect from the PC. If they don't something is wrong and you need to fix that.

- Seriously, replying to a thread that is over five years old? And giving instructions that you use on a device that didn't exist then. And, if I remember correctly, instructions that wouldn't work for any Kobo ereader that existed at the time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:18 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Additionally the fact you "log out" from your Kobo account forces you to do a re-setup of the device (which includes the date / time being set correctly) makes me think YOU had other issues on the device in the first case.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:16 PM   #13
smiley1081
smiley1081 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Well, the fact that the thread is five years old does not mean that I have the same problem with the Kobo Glo HD that I received this afternoon.

I loaded the 253 books that are present on my Bookeen Opus, and while the Kobo digests them it stops at about 10% and completely bomb, resetting.

I smell a rat in one of the books I have loaded, but how do I debug which one is the culprit?
smiley1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:39 PM   #14
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley1081 View Post
Well, the fact that the thread is five years old does not mean that I have the same problem with the Kobo Glo HD that I received this afternoon.

I loaded the 253 books that are present on my Bookeen Opus, and while the Kobo digests them it stops at about 10% and completely bomb, resetting.

I smell a rat in one of the books I have loaded, but how do I debug which one is the culprit?
load them in smaller increments.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:12 PM   #15
smiley1081
smiley1081 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
load them in smaller increments.

best wishes koboy
Probably, but it will have to wait a bit, given that a firmware upgrade ended, and not Calibre does not recognise the DB format.

Code:
calibre, version 2.48.0
AVVISO: Non riuscito: La versione del database di Kobo non è supportata - Vedi i dettagli

Il tuo Kobo usa una versione aggiornata del firmware/database. Poiché calibre non è a conoscenza di tale aggiornamento, la modifica del database è disabilitata, per evitare danneggiamenti. Puoi ancora inviare libri al tuo Kobo con calibre, ma l'eliminazione dei libri e la gestione delle raccolte sono disabilitate. Se intendi sperimentare e sai come ripristinare le impostazioni di fabbrica di Kobo, puoi ignorare questo controllo facendo clic con il tasto destro sull'icona del dispositivo in calibre, selezionando "Configura questo dispositivo" e quindi l'opzione "Prova a supportare un firmware più recente". Questa operazione potrebbe richiedere il ripristino delle impostazioni di fabbrica del tuo Kobo.
Device database version: 125.
Device firmware version: (3, 19, 5761)
smiley1081 is offline   Reply With Quote