Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
Get your Ebooks off your iPhone/Touch Stanza Library

For any other geeks out there:

If you want to backup the Stanza ebook collection on your iPhone or iPod Touch, here's a little Perl script called getfromstanza.pl that will do it for you. You just need to fill in the 3 pieces of info at the top of the file, make a directory where you'd like all your books to show up and then run the script from there: "perl getfromstanza.pl". The script figures out where they are on your device, downloads them all, figures out what books they are and renames them appropriately. They are renamed in a Calibre friendly format for those that use Calibre.

I run it on an Ubuntu box and use it to put free ebooks I've downloaded on my iPhone into my Calibre server. The top of the file lists the Perl modules you'll need to run it. Google is your friend on setting up your environment and running Perl scripts.
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Tom2112
Tablet eReader
Tom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7, iPad, Dell Streak 7, Moto RAZR MAXX
Sweet! Thanks!
Tom2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 05:16 AM   #3
frostcyborg
frostcyborg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.frostcyborg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.frostcyborg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle, iPhone
Net::OpenSSH won't work on Windows, even with Cygwin. Is there any way to do this on Windows possibly?

I was able to get all the modules installed for Perl on Ubuntu and the script finally ran without a Perl error. Problem is now the script says there are 0 books. I SSH'd directly into my iPhone and was able to grep the folders that contained the expanded epub files successfully, but the script still wouldn't pull anything off. I already made sure my SSH key for the iphone was installed before running the script also. I've been searching via Google like a madman but I'm stumped. I tried expanding and changing the wildcards for the path to the books on the device and that didn't help either. If you could provide any advice or help that would be great! Thank you for your time.

- Brett
(email removed)

Last edited by frostcyborg; 01-12-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Email Removed
frostcyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Brett,

I just ran it on another Ubuntu box and after editing the config. info at the top of the script and using "sudo cpan" to install the necessary modules (Net::OpenSSH, Term::ProgressBar, XML::Simple etc.) it ran and returned 0 books. I then ran "ssh -l root <iphone ip address or hostname>" from the command line, logged in, exited, ran the script again and it then worked fine.

Give that a whirl and report back.

P.S. I have no interest in running it on windows and am too busy right now but it shouldn't be hard for a motivated windows user to modify it to work under cygwin

P.P.S. If you manually download all the books to a directory on your windows PC then comment out lines 123 to 143 it will do everything except get the books off your iphone.

Last edited by RoninTech; 01-11-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
frostcyborg
frostcyborg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.frostcyborg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.frostcyborg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle, iPhone
I appreciate the response. I haven't been able to test out what you said yet, so I will do it again tonight. I forgot to put this in my original post, but I considered that the key wasn't added yet, so I had tried ssh directly to the iphone to make sure I could connect. I also used grep on the ssh connection on the iphone to check to see if it could find the epub files, which it could. I'll try it again on my Ubuntu box and see if that works. Thanks again!
frostcyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
RoninTech
Groupie

If you don't want to mess with Jailbreaking you can use a program like iFunbox to get the files off your reader over USB then just comment out lines 123 to 143.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:17 AM   #7
clowe1028
clowe1028 began at the beginning.

Device: Stanza
Whenever I run it, this is the script, this is what happens:

"Found 0 epubs on (Hostname)
adobesynchronizersu80format error: can't find E0CD signature at (location) line 43

Can't call method "membersMatching" on an undefined value at (location) line 45"

Help?

Last edited by clowe1028; 03-20-2010 at 01:27 AM.
clowe1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:54 AM   #8
RoninTech
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clowe1028 View Post
Whenever I run it, this is the script, this is what happens:

" Can't locate Term/ProgressBar.pm in @INC <@INC contains: C:/Perl/site/lib C:/Perl/lib .> at (my lcation) line 8

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted"

Help?
You are missing progressbar module. Read my post above.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:06 AM   #9
clowe1028

Thanks for those, now, my current problem is:

adobesynchronizersu80format error: can't find E0CD signature at (location) line 43

Can't call method "membersMatching" on an undefined value at (location) line 45"
Thanks.

Last edited by clowe1028; 03-20-2010 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
RoninTech
Groupie

Quote:
Thanks for those, now, my current problem is:

Thanks.
My psychic powers are at a low today so you'll have to describe what you did. Here's what I say you should do:

Quote:
You just need to fill in the 3 pieces of info at the top of the file, make a directory where you'd like all your books to show up and then run the script from there: "perl getfromstanza.pl".
So if you could elaborate on what you actually did and exactly what happened, maybe we can figure out what the problem is. I received another notification emailing saying that you had a problem trying the manual ssh command but no info on what happened. It would help if you provide that info also.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:42 AM   #11
clowe1028

I did the three fill-it-up part, installed the necessary packages, or I think I did.

For the Command line part, attached is a screenshot.

Thanks for the replies.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (888.2 KB, 425 views)
Old 03-21-2010, 09:04 AM   #12
RoninTech
Groupie

0 - Reread the few posts above paying attention to what it says about Windows then slap forehead
1 - Download putty and ssh to your iphone
2 - Execute "find |grep epub" from the root directory on your iphone to get your path to stanza
3 - Execute "find <stanza_path> -type f |grep -E "([0-9]|orig)$" on your iphone replacing <stanza_path> with the path you found in 2
4a - Download WinSCP, connect to your iphone and download all the files you found in 3 to the directory you created on your windows machine containing my Perl script
4b - Alternatively grab iFunbox and use it instead to grab the files in 4a over USB
5 - Comment out lines 123 to 143 of my script and run it
6 - Profit
Old 03-22-2010, 01:17 AM   #13
clowe1028

I don't exactly get number 2. :| Sorry. Not familiar with those scripts or things like that.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #14
RoninTech
Groupie

Quote:
I don't exactly get number 2. :| Sorry. Not familiar with those scripts or things like that.
After you do 1 and you are connected to your iphone, you just type that command in at the root "/" directory and it shows you where the calibre library is.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #15
nuckfumbertheory
nuckfumbertheory began at the beginning.

Device: ipod
Hey when I put that in putty, and i get command not found.

-sh: find |grep epub: command not found
nuckfumbertheory is offline   Reply With Quote