Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-09-2014, 07:35 AM   #31
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
My basic objection to the mega-series, by that I mean a series of books that are one story line that isn't resolved until the last book, is that most of these stories could have been told more effectively in a much shorter series. The classic example is the Wheel of Time series by Jordon. That series ended up at 13 books, yet I would guess after reading all 13 books, that at least half of what was written was simply filler that didn't really add to the story.

To a great extent, many of these authors seem to feel the need to use all the back story they put down. It's kind of the difference between Tolkien's LOTR series verses all the back story that Tolkien wrote down that has been published over the years by his children. Now imagine if all that back story had been put into the LOTR and the Middle Earth series had been expanded to 10 volumes.

Frankly, for most of these long never ending story series, I tend to lose interest over time. BTW, I do differentiate between books that are one long story arc that does not resolve such as the WOT, and series such as Harry Potter and Honor Harrington where there is a long story arc, but each book has a specific story to tell that resolves in that book.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #32
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
I have read the first book and think it is by far the best book from Sanderson I have read (or just the one I liked most). So I can recommend it. I just wish Sanderson would concentrate more on the series.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
My basic objection to the mega-series, by that I mean a series of books that are one story line that isn't resolved until the last book, is that most of these stories could have been told more effectively in a much shorter series. The classic example is the Wheel of Time series by Jordon. That series ended up at 13 books, yet I would guess after reading all 13 books, that at least half of what was written was simply filler that didn't really add to the story.

To a great extent, many of these authors seem to feel the need to use all the back story they put down. It's kind of the difference between Tolkien's LOTR series verses all the back story that Tolkien wrote down that has been published over the years by his children. Now imagine if all that back story had been put into the LOTR and the Middle Earth series had been expanded to 10 volumes.

Frankly, for most of these long never ending story series, I tend to lose interest over time. BTW, I do differentiate between books that are one long story arc that does not resolve such as the WOT, and series such as Harry Potter and Honor Harrington where there is a long story arc, but each book has a specific story to tell that resolves in that book.
Those are pretty-much my sentiments as well.
I still lose interest (many times, but not always) in the series that tend to resolve each book (HH, Dresden, Reacher, etc..., but at least they're a bit easier to bail out of with some sense of accomplishment.

But enough poo-pooing. I told myself I was going to try and cut that out. I respect Sanderson and I'm glad his fans are thrilled with his format/style. You're lucky to have a favorite author who is as prolific as he's proven to be over the years.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-09-2014 at 08:35 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #34
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm not intending to OT my own thread, but I do have a purpose in asking the following question, since I wonder if this other series [second paragraph] by Tad Williams resolves the idea of what some members appear to be commenting on about series that go on and on.

I'm referring to Tad Williams' series called "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn," comprised of these volumes:

1) The Dragonbone Chair
2) The Stone of Farewell
3/4) To Green Angel Tower

I've not read these, and have no idea how artfully they have been written or to what esteem they are held by members here at Mobileread.

Any thoughts (and more?) on this?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #35
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Tad Williams writes realy well. That's what this series has for it. But in my opinion it has many flaws: The story is one of the most unoriginal stories in fantasy. Just another little boy becomes a hero story. Some characters are special, hard to say how you will like them or not. I have found the more "philosophic" dialogues lacking. So, if you want to read a good written albeit unoriginal story, give it a try and see, if you like the characters. It is one of the better standard fantasy series out there.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #36
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I think I've read Dragonbone Chair. I wasn't interested enough to carry on with the series, and can't right now bring a single detail of the book to mind. I don't remember it being actively bad, just uninspiring.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #37
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I haven't read Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, but I read Tad Williams' Otherland and it was excellent!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:28 AM   #38
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
I have the Way of Kings and just bought Words of Radiance. It is definitely worth a read. I've read most of Sanderson's books and have confidence that he will deliver. He is quite the prolific author!

Here is some interesting commentary by Sanderson on the release of Words of Radiance and the epic fantasy genre:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/03/wor...g-epic-fantasy
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:03 AM   #39
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
I have the Way of Kings and just bought Words of Radiance. It is definitely worth a read. I've read most of Sanderson's books and have confidence that he will deliver. He is quite the prolific author!

Here is some interesting commentary by Sanderson on the release of Words of Radiance and the epic fantasy genre:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/03/wor...g-epic-fantasy

Thank you for the link.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #40
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I'll be reading this at some point - just not dropping $12 at the moment.

I enjoy Sanderson a lot since I first picked up Elantris a few years back. I especially enjoyed the Mistborn books, which felt a bit like a Clamp-influenced anime somehow.

He's not my favorite author - that's Robin Hobb followed by Martin - but I might put him in my top 10 eventually.

Funny because he finished the Wheel of Time for Jordan and I am a huge NOT-FAN of that.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #41
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Funny because he finished the Wheel of Time for Jordan and I am a huge NOT-FAN of that.
I think his three books were the best of the series after the first 2-3 Jordan books, so I wouldn't pan him for that.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #42
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I think his three books were the best of the series after the first 2-3 Jordan books, so I wouldn't pan him for that.
I like the first 6 books, then it goes downhill from there. Which reminds me I have to get back to my re-read soon. I still want to know how it ends.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #43
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I like the first 6 books, then it goes downhill from there. Which reminds me I have to get back to my re-read soon. I still want to know how it ends.

To me, the ones that really stuck out as poor were books 8-10. Jordan picks things back up with book 11 and then Sanderson does very well with 12-14.

If I read book 8, had to wait a year for 9, then a year for 10 I probably would have given up...being able to breeze through them and knowing you don't have to wait (or hope!) for things to pick back up helps.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #44
PurpleStar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
To me, the ones that really stuck out as poor were books 8-10. Jordan picks things back up with book 11 and then Sanderson does very well with 12-14.

If I read book 8, had to wait a year for 9, then a year for 10 I probably would have given up...being able to breeze through them and knowing you don't have to wait (or hope!) for things to pick back up helps.
Yes, it was the same for me, waiting a year or more between books. And they were huge uncomfortable hardbacks too. Now I have nice ebooks to read.

I think the worst one for me was Crossroads of Twilight. i dread reading it again.
Also good to know that Sanderson has done well with it. Of course I still have to re-read the rest to get there.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:11 AM   #45
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I liked The Way of Kings way too much and suspect I'm in for multiple re-reads as the series goes on, which I haven't done since The Dark Tower. Right now TWoK is queued for a re-read/listen when I finish my current crop (almost done w/ Hyperion ebook and halfway through the last Codex Alera audio). The new release price for Words of Radiance seems fine to me, especially for the ebook + audio package, but I will wait until I'm ready for it, which is probably a few weeks away. I would substantially credit this release for my clicking the "Buy Now" button on a Kindle PW2 tonight; it will be my first eInk reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
So, don't read that series, as you'll never see the end of it.
If he sees the end he sees the end, and if he doesn't, it will cease to matter to him.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote