Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
PBS Series: Beyond the Book

PBS has a series of articles (and video) on the publishing industry and ebooks:

Series Contents
Book Publishing Industry of the Future
5 Reasons E-Books Are Awesome

I'm not going to list them all, because they're on that first link, but the video (found in the "Book Publishing ..." article on the right side) is pretty interesting. Authors, publishers, etc. just sit together and talk about e-books, publishing, pros/cons, etc. It's not all for or against e-books.
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks, emilikins! I'll go through them.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
This is cool. Thank you. I love being in the middle of this and hearing what people think about this.....mediashift. I'm at the age, 33, where I am right in the middle. My pares were at one end, my kids are at the other. I do still buy paper books for my kids, but they also love the book apps on the iPad with animation and interactivity. So I think it's interesting to see where this goes, at least in my lifetime and the growth of my children.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Hmmm, interesting. At the 8:45ish mark the one guy talks about the loss of creativity. I highly disagree. My kids are nothing but creative. My son goes outside and plays army man. He'll sit for hours drawing elaborate cartoon scenes on sketch pads. It's not the fault of the devices or the medium for diminishing creativity, it's the fault of the parents. My wife and I highly encourage our kids to be creative and enjoy different forms of creativity. This weekend we're taking them to a symphony. We also often take them to museums, my son love science and we talk about it often. I show him different art and talk to him about it. So I think the onus is completely on the parent. Anyway...
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
I agree, monkeyluis. Has the introduction of graphics software (In-Design, Photoshop, heck, even MS Paint) reduced creativity in artists? Far from it, it's sparked a new medium and study of art and design! A better argument against some interactive books might be that they reduce attention spans, but there needs to be studies on it. I've come across comprehension and memory studies that seem to indicate we don't memorize or comprehend as well on an LCD screen as print, but then there was a recent study that basically said there wasn't a significant difference and it really depended on the user.

I think it could inspire some business creativity - if the publishers would open themselves up to it. ;-)
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for the links. I just read the one on Its All About the Content. While it is interesting, they are missing the point that while Web 2.0 has certainly changed the way readers and authors can interact, many readers still just want to read a good book and no amount of author interaction solves the "I don't care about the people in this book" problem.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote