Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Acronyms & Abbreviations

Hi,

I think that we should have a thread on acronyms and abbreviations that are commonly used on the forums. I know that everybody gets used to the language after a while, but it would be nice for the newcomers if they know what DTB, HC, PB, MMPB, TBR, etc. actually stand for. I know that if they ask there would be somebody to answer, and there is always google, but it might be useful to some.

Thanks,
Sil
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think that's an excellent idea, Sil_lis. "Abbreviations" would be a great page to have in the MobileRead wiki.

Of course, if people don't know what a TBR is they're not, as readers ([cough]book-hoarders[/cough]), trying hard enough.

Cheers,
Marc (who doesn't know what a DTB is)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
DTB = Dead Tree Book (aka paper book)
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Ouch, Marc, be generous to us non-english readers of this forum. We may excel in reading and hoarding books, but we really can't know what all the abbreviations or acronyms stand for.

(Some people use DTB for dead tree books but maybe it actually means don't tease the boardmoderator??)
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Reading random posts earlier in the week, a newcomer queried ZCD. Now that one does require some explanation!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Hi,

I think that we should have a thread on acronyms and abbreviations that are commonly used on the forums. I know that everybody gets used to the language after a while, but it would be nice for the newcomers if they know what DTB, HC, PB, MMPB, TBR, etc. actually stand for. I know that if they ask there would be somebody to answer, and there is always google, but it might be useful to some.

Thanks,
Sil
Marvellous suggestion, and long overdue.

Who knows, maybe some of the posts might make sense to those of us who are more *ahem* mature.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Ouch, Marc, be generous to us non-english readers of this forum. We may excel in reading and hoarding books, but we really can't know what all the abbreviations or acronyms stand for.

(Some people use DTB for dead tree books but maybe it actually means don't tease the boardmoderator??)
Hah! One should not take much I say too seriously when intertwined with a nudge and a wink. My comment in regard to TBR is winked and sandwiched by me not knowing what a DTB is (and thank-you all that let me know).

And you can tease me, just so long as you drink this ZCD first...

Cheers,
Marc
Old 07-13-2011, 02:30 AM   #8
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
And you can tease me, just so long as you drink this ZCD first...
Zesty Cup of Death?
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:42 AM   #9
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
Zesty Cup of Death?
Sort of...death is a temporary side effect (multiversal contemporaneity a pleasing middle-effect. After-effects infinitely unpredictable). A ZCD is a Zany Carter Deluxe: it is to The Lounge what a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster is to the Hitchhiker's universe, except for beginners we use P-GGB to dilute ZCD.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:54 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
DTB = Dead Tree Book (aka paper book)
I thought it was Digital Talking Book
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #11
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
As I haven't really visited the lounge, this is the first I've heard about ZCD. Do I have enough karma to survive the drink?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I thought it was Digital Talking Book
A book that will give me the digit ?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #13
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
It will give you a good talking to!
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:24 AM   #14
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
As I haven't really visited the lounge, this is the first I've heard about ZCD. Do I have enough karma to survive the drink?
you'll have to make sure you get to the forthcoming party at Marc's, which memory fails to serve me was last week in the next month before the penultimate Friday of the month yet to come, delayed three ZCD worth of lazy hangovers and accelerated by the appropriate bar of dark chocolate.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
you'll have to make sure you get to the forthcoming party at Marc's, which memory fails to serve me was last week in the next month before the penultimate Friday of the month yet to come, delayed three ZCD worth of lazy hangovers and accelerated by the appropriate bar of dark chocolate.
And what happened to the fish?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote