Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
brauckmiller
Edge User

Entourage's software release cycle?

Anyone know if Entourage will follow a release cycle for updates? i.e. Will they release updates every 2 months or something along those lines, or will ti be on an 'as needed' basis?

Just curious what our expectations should be with regard to how long we have to wait between releases for new features and bug fixes.

Thanks

Craig

Old 04-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
done
Edge User

Moving to Main forum

Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
kenjennings
Edge User

I think simultaneous "stable" Release and "Test" Release plans would be ideal. Every month or two there should be a "stable" Release of the well tested updates published for the general public. More frequently as needed do a "Test" release for fools like me who are willing to be used as lab rats to verify that fixes and upgrades work.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
done
Edge User

We have plans to release both scheduled software updates as well as maintenance software updates.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
mgm1979
Edge User

I wouldn't be surprised (and would absolutely recommend) that enTourage use REAL WORLD customers as beta testers for their software updates...this is pretty common in any world dealing with software updates (especially for smart phones)

Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
brauckmiller
Edge User

Boris, I work for a large networking company and deal with customers on a daily basis. You are right that you never commit to a firm date, but our developers are on an 8 week cycle for maintenance releases. So, from a support perspective, I always say that a maintenance release is due out in X weeks, but I cannot guarantee that your specific fix will be included as it depends on when code freeze is put in place and the QA cycle has to begin. So far, we've been pretty lucky with our releases and only slip by a few days if something drastic is discovered in QA or if a high priority bug is reported that doesn't need a hotfix, but can be pushed into the maintenance release.

I would be happy with a rough time line..like early Q3 or late Q2 for a release. That way, I don't keep asking nagging questions about when when when...

Just like doctors make bad patients, tech support guys make bad customers

Thanks for you thoughts and insights.

Craig

Old 04-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
henry_moh
Edge User

Actually, why enTourage not push the software supports open to community. Then you guys can save a lot of money in software engineering for a small company, and then the company can focus more on hardware design and marketing. I don't think there are lots of commercial secrets behind the eDGe.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
brauckmiller
Edge User

Since they are opening up the SDK, I think this pretty much removes the need to for a FOSS model that you are proposing. I'd prefer to see Entourage keep the base code and provide additional features as time goes by and let the rest of the community specialize in cool apps for the eDGe.

Just my opinion.