Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
We - Yevgeny Zamyatin

I see there are two translations of this on the Kindle Store - one by Alexander Glinka which is cheaper than the one by Natasha Randall. Which is superior?
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Lirael
Moomin
Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Superior? I'm not sure. I haven't read both translations, but I have read Randall's version - in the last Russian Lit course I took it was the required translation - and I can say I didn't have any problems with it. Compared with the positively ancient translation I'd checked out of the library the language was much less stilted and flowed better.

My google searching hasn't come up with anything else translated by Glinka, whereas Randall is reasonably well-known and well-liked, so make of that what you will.
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Did you make a decision? The original Gregory Zilboorg is available free as a pdf. Clarence Brown did a fine translation for Penguin Classics in 1993 (also in Kindle for under $8).
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Did you make a decision? The original Gregory Zilboorg is available free as a pdf. Clarence Brown did a fine translation for Penguin Classics in 1993 (also in Kindle for under $8).
I went for the Randall translation. Better to go with a publisher I know and trust when in doubt.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
I went for the Randall translation. Better to go with a publisher I know and trust when in doubt.
Out of curiosity, since you were comparing Kindle editions, did you grab a sample of each to get a flavour of the competing translations? Randall is published by Random House as I recall.
Advert
Old 03-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
seagull
Addict

Quote:
Out of curiosity, since you were comparing Kindle editions, did you grab a sample of each to get a flavour of the competing translations? Randall is published by Random House as I recall.
Yes I did. One thing I noticed about the Glinka translation was that although there was a TOC there were no hyperlinks and it was just plain text. I couldn't get a flavour of the competing translations through the Kindle Samples however as before the actual beginning of the Randall translation there is an Introduction by Will Self and Translator's Note. However I used the 'Look Inside' feature on Amazon to look at the actual book and then compared the translations:

Glinka
I'm simply copying, word for word, what has been published in today's State Newspaper:

Randall
I am merely copying, word for word, what was printed in the State Gazette today:

Glinka
The building of the [Integral] will be complete in 120 days. The great historical hour is very close when the first [Integral] rises up into the world space.

Randall
In 120 days, the construction of the Integral will be complete. The great, historic hour when the first Integral will soar through outer space is nigh.

I thought Randall was far superior and the fact that Glinka put Integral in square brackets was odd.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard

The Gregory Zilboorg translation is rendered as:

This is merely a copy, word for word, of what was published this morning in the State newspaper:

In another hundred and twenty days the building of the Integral will be completed. The great historic hour is near, when the first Integral will rise into the limitless space of the universe.

A review of We, inspired by the release of the Randall edition, appeared in the Boston Globe.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
The Gregory Zilboorg translation is rendered as:

This is merely a copy, word for word, of what was published this morning in the State newspaper:

In another hundred and twenty days the building of the Integral will be completed. The great historic hour is near, when the first Integral will rise into the limitless space of the universe.
Hmmm, I think I like these examples best.

I wonder if this is the version I read back in the 80s when I took "Russian Culture" in college...? Sadly, all I remember for certain was that it had a black cover and that I liked it a whole lot better than 1984.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
Yes I did. One thing I noticed about the Glinka translation was that although there was a TOC there were no hyperlinks and it was just plain text. I couldn't get a flavour of the competing translations through the Kindle Samples however as before the actual beginning of the Randall translation there is an Introduction by Will Self and Translator's Note. However I used the 'Look Inside' feature on Amazon to look at the actual book and then compared the translations:

Glinka
I'm simply copying, word for word, what has been published in today's State Newspaper:

Randall
I am merely copying, word for word, what was printed in the State Gazette today:

Glinka
The building of the [Integral] will be complete in 120 days. The great historical hour is very close when the first [Integral] rises up into the world space.

Randall
In 120 days, the construction of the Integral will be complete. The great, historic hour when the first Integral will soar through outer space is nigh.

I thought Randall was far superior and the fact that Glinka put Integral in square brackets was odd.
you're right. Randall's translation seems smoother also. I also intend to read this book so I might get it soon
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote