Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-09-2008, 10:49 PM   #16
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
This series is one of my favorites and I'll be buying the new one, regardless. I'm just not boycott material .
Personally, I think that one can swing more weight with Amazon by complaining about something you've bought instead of boycotting. But maybe that's just my personality.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:30 PM   #17
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I did send off email to St Martins Press and got a receipt acknowledgement, but nothing further so far.

I also sent email to Amazon and got a reply back this morning which completely missed the point - they didn't take the time to read the mail.

So I called and talked to an unctious-toned rep this morning who supposedly was on the Kindle Support team and he'd never heard of Topaz formatting. When I tried to tell him the effect it had and that it ended up undermining their hardware, he assured me that their engineering department reviewed all formatting and they must feel that it falls within permissible perimeters.

So, boycotting is the only solution!!

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #18
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Jim,

Don't know if you've soured on St. Martin's/Julia Spencer-Fleming because of this, or not, but the good news is that the newest book is in standard Kindle/mobi format. Or at least the sample is, and I've never seen the sample and the actual book in different formats.

Tracey
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:00 PM   #19
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Thanks for the info, Tracey. I haven't soured on the novels at all, just in the formatting of some of them.

I'll probably buy the latest one, but those formatted in Topaz I'll get from my library and read.

It'd be interesting to know why they've reverted to the normal Kindle formatting, wouldn't it.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #20
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Oh, to be a fly on the wall....
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #21
dkb
ebook enthusiast
dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone, Sony PRS-350, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
The first two books in Julia Spencer-Fleming's cozy mystery series starring Clare Ferguson (a priest assigned to St. Alban's Episcopal Church in upstate NY) are available for free at Amazon. The fourth book in the series is only $6.99, but for some reason, they don't appear to have the third available in the Kindle store. Go figure! But, you don't want to miss out on the freebies.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&sear...pencer-Fleming
Actually it's the fifth book in the series All Mortal Flesh that is missing. I won't spoil it for you, but I read a synopsis, and the 5th book is very important to the ongoing romance. So even though the 6th book is available as a Kindle edition, I don't want to read it before reading #5. The fifth is available in paperback form, but I've taken a vow not to buy anymore paper books unless they use a lot of color or pictures/photgraphs.

http://www.juliaspencerfleming.com/ shows the order of her books. I have emailed both her and the publisher to suggest they Kindle All Mortal Flesh, but have not received a reply.
dkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:42 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I really liked these two free books, but I didn't like the Topaz version. As people said here, it was too slow. I even looked at fictionwise and they only have book 1 and 6. I assume all but those at amazon are topaz? If so I won't be buying them.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #23
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Go figure! But, you don't want to miss out on the freebies.
Hi Elsi, thanks for taking the time to let us know about these free books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
The dreaded Topaz strikes again!!!!
Hi tlrowley, I looked at the thread about whether people will buy Topaz books or not. I'm still in the dark--what exactly IS Topaz?

Regards,
R.L.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:03 AM   #24
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb View Post
Actually it's the fifth book in the series All Mortal Flesh that is missing. I won't spoil it for you, but I read a synopsis, and the 5th book is very important to the ongoing romance. So even though the 6th book is available as a Kindle edition, I don't want to read it before reading #5. The fifth is available in paperback form, but I've taken a vow not to buy anymore paper books unless they use a lot of color or pictures/photgraphs.

http://www.juliaspencerfleming.com/ shows the order of her books. I have emailed both her and the publisher to suggest they Kindle All Mortal Flesh, but have not received a reply.
The fifth book is now available in Kindle format. I bought and read it last month. Having now read all 6 books in the series, I'm frustratedly waiting for the next book to be published.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Hi Elsi, thanks for taking the time to let us know about these free books!

Hi tlrowley, I looked at the thread about whether people will buy Topaz books or not. I'm still in the dark--what exactly IS Topaz?

Regards,
R.L.
Read about TPZ in the wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote