Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
nurse_horrible
nurse_horrible has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nurse_horrible has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nurse_horrible has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nurse_horrible has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Kobo Glo
mounting to Ubuntu

This may be ridiculous...I think I just don't know the terminology to find my answers...

I just got a netbook running Ubuntu 10.04 last week to take to school (with my DR800), but then realized in class that I possibly don't have something set up (something installed to be able to read the device?) for the DR800 to mount. Does this make any sense?

The unit has no problem mounting on WinXP, Win7, or whichever MacOS my friend's laptop has.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
nurse_horrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:10 AM   #2
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse_horrible View Post
This may be ridiculous...I think I just don't know the terminology to find my answers...

I just got a netbook running Ubuntu 10.04 last week to take to school (with my DR800), but then realized in class that I possibly don't have something set up (something installed to be able to read the device?) for the DR800 to mount. Does this make any sense?

The unit has no problem mounting on WinXP, Win7, or whichever MacOS my friend's laptop has.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Try connecting your reader to the netbook via USB cable (assuming they both have USB ports) and look for a new drive-shaped icon on your desktop. It's easy to miss it, if your desktop is crowded with other icons!

I use Ubuntu 10.04 with a Sony PRS-650 reader. Ubuntu recognises the reader automatically, whenever it is connected to my PC via USB cable. Shortly after the cable is connected, a drive-shaped icon pops up on the desktop - it disappears when the drive is disconnected. So, there is no need to mount the reader as a drive, because Ubuntu does it automatically.

Something you should check in Ubuntu, if you are able to connect your netbook to the reader via USB:
System (option at the top left-hand corner of your screen) -> Administration -> Disk Utility
Look in the left-hand column of Disk Utility, to see if your reader is listed as a peripheral device labelled something like DR800. If it is, then select it by clicking on it. In the right-hand column, in the lower section entitled Volumes, make sure that the volume's status is "mounted". If there is an option labelled Unmount volume, then that means the volume is already mounted. In my case, the default status is automatically set to "mounted". The status can be toggled by alternatively clicking on Unmount volume and Mount volume.

Last edited by boxcorner; 01-13-2011 at 05:54 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
nurse_horrible
nurse_horrible has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nurse_horrible has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nurse_horrible has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nurse_horrible has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for your detailed response. Is there a way to connect the DR800 other than with the USB cable? When doing so yesterday the light on the DR turned orange, but still allowed me to navigate the file structure on the DR (not on the netbook) and was not listed in the media folder in the netbook as have other USB-connected peripherals.

However, I reconnected this morning to look for the Disk Utility, and it connected. The only difference between yesterday and today is connecting it at school versus home, not that that should make any difference.

Thanks again!
Old 01-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for your detailed response. Is there a way to connect the DR800 other than with the USB cable? When doing so yesterday the light on the DR turned orange, but still allowed me to navigate the file structure on the DR (not on the netbook) and was not listed in the media folder in the netbook as have other USB-connected peripherals.

However, I reconnected this morning to look for the Disk Utility, and it connected. The only difference between yesterday and today is connecting it at school versus home, not that that should make any difference.

Thanks again!
I know next to nothing about the iRex DR-800 and even less about your netbook! This review of the DR-800 ...
... mentions 3G. Assuming your reader is WiFi enabled, then I guess you might be able to configure your netbook to communicate with your reader wirelessly. What make and model is your netbook?

Addendum
If you have managed to get your reader and netbook connected wirelessly, then presumably you're now able to transfer files.

Your Karma level is low, so I'm sending you a top-up.

Last edited by boxcorner; 01-13-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
nurse_horrible

Ha! Thanks for the karma!

The DR800SG (which I have) had 3G until iRex went under last August or September. It doesn't have wifi either, but for my purposes (mostly school-related...viewing and annotating scientific PDFs and occasionally reading epubs) it's fantastic.

The netbook is a System76 Starling Netbook, and it amazingly has specs that are better than my last laptop (a then top-of-the-line ultralight from 5-6 years ago). It also weighs less than 2 pounds, saving my long-ago injured neck from too much further damage!
Old 01-14-2011, 04:06 AM   #6
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
... The DR800SG (which I have) had 3G until iRex went under last August or September. It doesn't have wifi either, but for my purposes ... it's fantastic. The netbook is a System76 Starling Netbook, and it amazingly has specs ...
So, presumably, in Post #3 when you wrote, "... I reconnected this morning to look for the Disk Utility, and it connected ...", it was connected via USB cable. I was unable to find a specification on-line, when I did a quick search, hence I was unsure whether or not your DR800SG has a micro-USB port. If you don't have WiFi, the only other way that I can think of transferring files would be via memory card. Does your DR800SG have an SD reader port, like your netbook?

It certainly seems a very nice netbook. I wouldn't mind having one of those myself! I'm intrigued that it comes with Ubuntu pre-installed. If you haven't already done so, I recommend that you join Ubuntu Forums. http://ubuntuforums.org/

It's another friendly and very helpful community, like MobileRead.

Last edited by boxcorner; 01-14-2011 at 04:12 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
nurse_horrible

Yes, it has a micro-USB port, which for general use only gives access to the contents of the SD card (which is troublesome to get to).

And I did join ubuntuforums.org last month!
Old 01-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
Yes, it has a micro-USB port, which for general use only gives access to the contents of the SD card (which is troublesome to get to).

And I did join ubuntuforums.org last month!
You should be able to browse around the folders and files on your reader, from Ubuntu on your netbook.

With your DR800SG connected to your netbook, from the Ubuntu desktop:
Click on Places (menu item top-left of your screen), to display a drop-down menu.

In the 2nd section of the drop-down menu, you should see your DR800SG listed, under the menu item called Computer.

NB - In my case, the menu item denoting my Sony reader is called READER, plus you should be able to see any SD card that you have, listed separately. So, in the drop-down menu, your reader might not be listed as DR800SG, it might be called something like READER instead.

Select READER, or whatever it is called (alternatively, select the the SD card), and a new window should open on the Ubuntu desktop, showing the contents of the READER, or whatever it is called, (or the SD card). You should then be able to see, and browse around the folders and files, in the new window.

To transfer files between your netbook and reader, keep the READER window open, additionally open a new folder on your netbook containing the files that you want to transfer, then use Copy & Paste, or drag files from one folder and drop them in another.

Last edited by boxcorner; 01-14-2011 at 03:40 PM.

Tags
mounting, ubuntu 10.04