Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-21-2008, 11:56 PM   #1
Nemesis
Nemesis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Calibre conversion probs

Hi,
I just got my new PRS-505 and I have gigs of ebooks. I've noticed certain file types aren't displaying well on the PRS-505 so I thought converting them to LRF format would be the best option.
I found Calibre and it looked like the perfect software for my needs.

The problem is everytime I try to convert anything it crashes. I get 'calibre.exe has stopped working' error. I'm using windows vista 32. I've tried uninstall and reinstall a couple of times. The rest of the program seems to work fine, even the news conversion.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Thx
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:07 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
hmm works for me on vista 32 try locating the file libprs500.log and post it here
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2008, 12:31 AM   #3
chiral
chiral will become famous soon enoughchiral will become famous soon enoughchiral will become famous soon enoughchiral will become famous soon enoughchiral will become famous soon enoughchiral will become famous soon enough

Device: 505
Running Win XP SP3 and calibre (and previous versions) have always crashed for me if I convert enough files to lrf. After four or so conversions, a hang can occur anytime. A quit and restart temporarily mends it.
chiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
Nemesis

Hmmm...I have done a search and do not have that file. The only libprs500 I can find are a text file and an install file
Old 05-22-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you maybe have a calibre.log file?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I'm not sure about Vista, but isn't there a way to hide certain file type extensions like you can in XP? Open up that text file and see if it looks like a bunch of output statements.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:55 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah it's probably the text file.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:15 PM   #8
Nemesis

Here are the libprs500.log file... it seems to be mainly book upload errors though (it doesn't recognise word docs as an acceptable file type to put on the prs505 even though the reader handles them well). I've also added the error message from windows when it crashes for convert book (calibre.txt)
Attached Files
File Type: txt calibre.txt (651 Bytes, 376 views)
File Type: doc libprs500.doc (26.5 KB, 496 views)

Last edited by Nemesis; 05-22-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:22 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You haven't attached the files and the reader doesn't handle doc files. the SONY software converts them internally before uploading to the reader.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:26 PM   #10
Nemesis

The libprs file was too big for a txt..so had to convert. Thx for doc info
Old 05-23-2008, 12:01 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm there isn't anything useful in those logs and it works fine for me on vista 32. You can try running the conversions from the command line instead

Code:
any2lrf filename
Old 05-23-2008, 12:25 AM   #12
Nemesis

My puter has been playing up a bit the last few weeks. Am at the point of formatting for a fresh start so hopefully that will clear up problems. Maybe calibre will behave then.
Sorry for being such a newb with this stuff...so to manually convert its eg 'start' 'accessories' 'run' - any2lrf d:/ebooks/novels/Feist, Raymond E - Faerie Tale.txt
Where does it save the conversion to?
I've tried the above and the dos box does something then it closes and I can't find any .lrf files but the ones from calibre. Hence the 300 questions...lol
I really appreciate you taking the time to help
Old 05-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #13
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Bought Perdido Street Station last night on fictionwise in LIT format, removed DRM using the latest edition of ConvertLIT GUI and then tried to run it thru Calibre....this is the result:

ValueError: list.index(x): x not in list
Failed to perform job: Convert book:Perdido Street Station
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "parallel.py", line 139, in run_job
File "calibre\ebooks\lrf\any\convert_from.pyo", line 161, in main
File "calibre\ebooks\lrf\any\convert_from.pyo", line 134, in process_file
File "calibre\ebooks\lrf\lit\convert_from.pyo", line 85, in process_file
File "calibre\ebooks\lrf\html\convert_from.pyo", line 1815, in process_file
File "calibre\ebooks\lrf\html\convert_from.pyo", line 269, in __init__
File "calibre\ebooks\lrf\html\convert_from.pyo", line 385, in add_file
File "calibre\ebooks\lrf\html\convert_from.pyo", line 520, in parse_file
ValueError: list.index(x): x not in list
Log:
[DEBUG] convert_from.pyo:32: clit "c:\docume~1\davidk~1\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.4.56 _rcwgfp.lit" "c:\docume~1\davidk~1\locals~1\temp\calibre_ymv5dz \\"
[INFO] convert_from.pyo:36:
[INFO] __init__.pyo:510: Processing c:\docume~1\davidk~1\locals~1\temp\calibre_ymv5dz\ Miev_0345464524_oeb_tp_r1.html
[INFO] __init__.pyo:510: Parsing HTML...
[INFO] __init__.pyo:510: Written preprocessed HTML to c:\docume~1\davidk~1\locals~1\temp\html2lrf-verbose.html
[INFO] __init__.pyo:510: Converting to BBeB...
[INFO] __init__.pyo:510: Processing c:\docume~1\davidk~1\locals~1\temp\calibre_ymv5dz\ Miev_0345464524_oeb_toc_r1.html
[INFO] __init__.pyo:510: Written preprocessed HTML to c:\docume~1\davidk~1\locals~1\temp\html2lrf-verbose.html
[INFO] __init__.pyo:510: Processing c:\docume~1\davidk~1\locals~1\temp\calibre_ymv5dz\ Miev_0345464524_oeb_ded_r1.html
[INFO] __init__.pyo:510: Processing c:\docume~1\davidk~1\locals~1\temp\calibre_ymv5dz\ Miev_0345464524_oeb_ack_r1.html
[INFO] __init__.pyo:510: Processing c:\docume~1\davidk~1\locals~1\temp\calibre_ymv5dz\ Miev_0345464524_oeb_epi_r1.html
[INFO] __init__.pyo:510: Processing c:\docume~1\davidk~1\locals~1\temp\calibre_ymv5dz\ Miev_0345464524_oeb_fm_r1.html
[INFO] __init__.pyo:510: Processing c:\docume~1\davidk~1\locals~1\temp\calibre_ymv5dz\ Miev_0345464524_oeb_c01_r1.html
[INFO] __init__.pyo:510: Processing c:\docume~1\davidk~1\locals~1\temp\calibre_ymv5dz\ Miev_0345464524_oeb_c02_r1.html
[INFO] __init__.pyo:510: Processing c:\docume~1\davidk~1\locals~1\temp\calibre_ymv5dz\ Miev_0345464524_oeb_c03_r1.html
[INFO] __init__.pyo:510: Processing c:\docume~1\davidk~1\locals~1\temp\calibre_ymv5dz\ Miev_0345464524_oeb_c04_r1.html
[INFO] __init__.pyo:510: Processing c:\docume~1\davidk~1\locals~1\temp\calibre_ymv5dz\ Miev_0345464524_oeb_c05_r1.html
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:51 PM   #14
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Kovid, some of my rtf files have problems converting. They show up on the reader if I just upload the straight .rtf file, but I'm used to loving Calibre's conversion.. which I could do manually by adjusting font size and such on the rtf file but was wondering if there's a way to fix the file itself to make it convert.

For instance, something like this:

('RtfInvalidCodeException', u'no map found\nmap is "ansicpg874"\n'):
Failed to perform job: Convert book:
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "parallel.py", line 686, in worker
File "parallel.py", line 659, in work
File "calibre\ebooks\lrf\any\convert_from.pyo", line 165, in main
File "calibre\ebooks\lrf\any\convert_from.pyo", line 135, in process_file
File "calibre\ebooks\lrf\rtf\convert_from.pyo", line 75, in process_file
File "calibre\ebooks\lrf\rtf\convert_from.pyo", line 168, in generate_html2
File "calibre\ebooks\lrf\rtf\convert_from.pyo", line 159, in generate_xml
File "calibre\ebooks\rtf2xml\ParseRtf.pyo", line 322, in parse_rtf
File "calibre\ebooks\rtf2xml\hex_2_utf8.pyo", line 556, in convert_hex_2_utf8
File "calibre\ebooks\rtf2xml\hex_2_utf8.pyo", line 154, in __initiate_values
File "calibre\ebooks\rtf2xml\get_char_map.pyo", line 67, in get_char_map
RtfInvalidCodeException: no map found
map is "ansicpg874"

Log:
[INFO] convert_from.pyo:167: Converting RTF to XML...
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:33 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

open a ticket and attach the rtf file