Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Is it possible to get a Kindle DX out of Demo mode?

I have a chance to purchase a Kindle DX in Demo mode. A quick search of the forums and a browse through the "Simple debricking" thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929) doesn't yield much information particular to the DX. I was able to glean that it might require using the serial port instead of (or in combination with) the USB port, due to it being a sort of "pre-K3" model.

I know my way around rooting devices (Kindle K3, touchpad, android phones, etc.) and I'm not afraid of the command-line (though I don't like it either). Is it possible to un-Demo a Kindle DX? Will I be able to handle the project?

The price is almost too good to pass up, and I don't mind putting in some time if there's hope of getting it working...
megacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by megacoupe View Post
I have a chance to purchase a Kindle DX in Demo mode. A quick search of the forums and a browse through the "Simple debricking" thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929) doesn't yield much information particular to the DX. I was able to glean that it might require using the serial port instead of (or in combination with) the USB port, due to it being a sort of "pre-K3" model.

I know my way around rooting devices (Kindle K3, touchpad, android phones, etc.) and I'm not afraid of the command-line (though I don't like it either). Is it possible to un-Demo a Kindle DX? Will I be able to handle the project?

The price is almost too good to pass up, and I don't mind putting in some time if there's hope of getting it working...
You need to copy a firmware image from a normal kindle DX to your demo, using the serial port debricking method.

We need to discover how to get it into USB downloader mode before we can use the simple debricking method (flashing over USB).

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-04-2012 at 10:21 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Several questions:

1. Is there a kindle DX firmware image available somewhere online?
2. I gather that the serial port debricking method requires either expensive hardware or cheap hardware for those with electric circuit know-how, right?
3. Would the USB method described here work for a DX?
4. I'm out of my depth, aren't I?
megacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
1) I'm not 100% but its probably not legal.

2) More or less

3) without reading it, no. If it did I would risk bricking my Dx, which I won't, as I don't fancy the serial route much neither. (EDIT: For a Ktouch that thread I believe)

4) possibly, but the docs are decent and the work is not terribly demanding - assuming you have some technical skill. If its the first time you've ever done something like this it could be arduous but I got the sense from the way you spoke that it wasn't so who knows?

Either way and little bit of work and some fiddling could save you a bundle, or be a real pain, I wish you well and hope for a positive outcome. : )
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote