Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #61
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I got the K5s. Again, more than I wanted to pay ($400), but not a lot. So I am getting good but not great deals, assuming that there are not an unexpectedly high number of damaged eink screens.

Now I have to wait for HOURS until the last auction, the one I am REALLY waiting for, the DX demos! The other models were just for practice.

There is always a considerable risk for auctions such as this. But no risk, no reward. Although providing them to you guys at cost is not much reward, considering that I am taking all the risk.

But then again, you will be using debricking tools and methods provided by me and others, and I have a huge investment of personal time involved there that I am giving away for no reward except occasional karma (and most of that is for funny posts, instead of for code demos and tools).

Hey guys, you know where that karma button is now, right?

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-24-2012 at 03:50 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #62
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Congratulations on winning all three auctions. I only just realized why you were buying the lots I hope you have the same success on the DX auction.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #63
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

By the time this is done, I will have spent thousands of dollars on this "investment", not counting the 20 kindles and three nook simple touches that I have already paid for. I must have an eink addiction.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #64
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade1 View Post
hmm so assuming 30 work well that would be around $20 each. if the 3g is not provided you can complain to the seller/ebay/paypal? that the product was falsely advertised. While the seller does say no refunds, false advertising might be able to get you your money back.
More than $20 each, plus shipping... At less than $22 each, is it really a good idea to complain about missing 3G? But if they are missing, I will certainly contact the seller to see if I can get a partial refund. I really hope that they do have 3G modems in them, but I do not really have my hopes up for that. Being demos, why would amazon ship costly 3G modems in them?

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-24-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #65
geekmaster

You can see that there is a "bidding war" going on between the first two bidders in the DX demo auction. They will probably accelerate their bidding near the end.

I hope they do not drive my price too high.

Then of course, there will probably be last-second snipers too just like in the other auctions, with automatic bidding driving the price up even further in the last few seconds. My planned bid is already way higher than I feel comfortable with. This is scary stuff.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-24-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Advert
Old 09-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #66
geekmaster

I just got a message from the seller:
Quote:
Dear *****,

I just got done checking all 24 DX units. The results are a 2-1 ratio: There are 16 units with Good different/changing screens. There are 8 units with a Bad LCD - in one form or another (Bleeding - mostly). You can now go to Mobileread.com and let them know this and then see who wants how many from you once you buy them :-)

- bestvalueforeyou
The "bleeding" is a sign of a cracked display. I know from past experience that a crack so small you cannot see it can grow, so we will see how many are still good after I receive them. The vibration during shipping should help weed out any with tiny non-visible cracks.

So, hello there, bestvalueforeyou, do you have a MobileRead member name?
Old 09-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #67
geekmaster

Damn! My ebay sniper program bit me again! I updated it to the latest version, and I made sure it's time was in sync within one second, and I had a 6 second lead on the bid time. My max bid was $1111.11, but somebody ELSE won it for only $887. Big bummer. That is the auction I really wanted.

I used BayGenie eBay Auction Sniper Free 3.3.6.2. Does somebody know of a more reliable (free) ebay sniper program?

My only DXG still has a broken screen, which happened in carry-on luggage while travelling. I need a demo kindle DXG to fix it...

EDIT: Sorry guys! I tried. But I will be getting an assortment of K3/K4/K5 demos. I was watching the DX auction timer count down. I should have place a bid manually I suppose. But the sniper worked in the three other auctions, before failing on the one I really wanted. Sad-face.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-24-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #68
petejojohan
petejojohan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Damn! My ebay sniper program bit me again! I updated it to the latest version, and I made sure it's time was in sync within one second, and I had a 6 second lead on the bid time. My max bid was $1111.11, but somebody ELSE won it for only $887. Big bummer. That is the auction I really wanted.

I used BayGenie eBay Auction Sniper Free 3.3.6.2. Does somebody know of a more reliable (free) ebay sniper program?
That wasn't you? Wow. Talk about a tragedy. You above all others, with all of your hard earned efforts on the DX deserved to win it
petejojohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #69
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post

Ebay's own, non-sniper.

I haven't been active at ebay for quite a while, but I always simply entered the absolute maximum amount that I was really willing to pay, way before the auction ended, and then didn't bother to change it (or even check the auction) anymore - I simply waited for the outcome. Most of the time it worked - in particular *because* "snipers" don't know what my highest bid really was. And in the cases it didn't work - well, I wasn't willing to pay that much anyway (BTW, that's also a good way to keep that "Ah, just one more dollar doesn't hurt" syndrome under control - even though that's pretty much obsolete now anyway because of these automated sniper tools.)

I'm pretty sure that you would probably have won the auction if you had done that

EDIT: Why? Because those sniper programs only have so much time to try and outbid you, while your pre-established maximum will automatically outbid them at the very moment they place their bets - which means they need to check the result and bet again, with less and less time remaining, while you don't have to do anything.

Last edited by ixtab; 09-24-2012 at 06:50 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #70
petejojohan
petejojohan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Ebay's own, non-sniper.

I haven't been active at ebay for quite a while, but I always simply entered the absolute maximum amount that I was really willing to pay, way before the auction ended, and then didn't bother to change it anymore - I simply waited for the outcome. Most of the time it worked - in particular *because* "snipers" don't know what my highest bid really was. And in the cases it didn't work - well, I wasn't willing to pay that much anyway.

I'm pretty sure that you would probably have won the auction if you had done that
That's what I do too. Just punch in my highest bid, and wait to confirm. I'm sure I've been up against some of you on a couple of Kindles (even DX Demos) in the past - and lost most, but I left this one alone for the Geekmaster. There must have been a reason you didn't win this lot - maybe something better around the corner
petejojohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #71
seawhite
E Ink Lover
seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle DX white, Kindle DXG, Kindle Keyboard, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by petejojohan View Post
That's what I do too. Just punch in my highest bid, and wait to confirm. I'm sure I've been up against some of you on a couple of Kindles (even DX Demos) in the past - and lost most, but I left this one alone for the Geekmaster. There must have been a reason you didn't win this lot - maybe something better around the corner

Really hoped Geekmaster win this one though.
There might be another batch coming up soon.
seawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #72
geekmaster

I think it was interesting that the guy who auctioned all those demo kindles was reading my posts here. He expected me to win too.

I am afraid to buy from the "other guy" who ships DX demos in an ENVELOPE, almost guaranteeing that they will be broken on arrival.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #73
Shade1
Shade1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I love how so many of us backed off on this auction. Nice try geekmaster.

I never got to comment earlier but I'd like to say thank you for all the guides and comments you have posted on these forums. I have had the pleasure of reading a lot of them these past few months and they have saved me multiple times! So thanks =D

Getting back on topic...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PC-OF-Kind...item1c2add5c46 is selling 1 for $80....its the guy that packages in an envelope... Earlier I would have said yes...but I think I'm just going to wait for a more secure product. The other guy who auctioned the other kindles was very nice and promptly responded to all our questions.
Shade1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #74
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade1 View Post
I never got to comment earlier but I'd like to say thank you for all the guides and comments you have posted on these forums. I have had the pleasure of reading a lot of them these past few months and they have saved me multiple times! So thanks =D
It may take you awhile to read all 4,000+ posts (and growing). And some of them even contain significant original content.

I do not lurk on ebay, so please notify me if another trustworthy source of DX demos shows up over there, okay?

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-24-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:12 AM   #75
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
OK, so in the order these have been asked...

3G works on both Demo K3 units I've tried and both Demo DXG units. Mind you, I haven't done anything but registering over 3G, so you might be out of luck if you want to use the built-in browser extensively, but the hardware is indeed there.

I use this for sniping: https://www.myibidder.com/ They also have browser add-ons, so you just see a "Snipe it" link next to Facebook/twitter icons when viewing an auction.

Now I'm kind of lost at what you've won, but short of DXGs, I'm interested in a few K4s/K5s, so let us know how many are in actual working order once you get them.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote