Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #976
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester
Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
@Firedancer885 - I believe this version addresses the issue you found.

Mind you, it addresses it by cleaning up the HTML when it's downloaded in the first place. So existing epubs that already contain the same type of poor HTML may still have the same problem. But it should fix it moving forward.
Thanks.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #977
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester
Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.

Jimm,

where can I find info about making FFDL only download specific chapters and not the whole story?
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #978
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester

Opps forgot to ask. Is there a way to make this kind of download permanent, so I don't have to remember to edit the download every time there is an update?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #979
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedancer885 View Post
where can I find info about making FFDL only download specific chapters and not the whole story?
If you hover your mouse over the text box you enter URLs in for FFDL, the tooltip will tell you that you can limit chapters by adding [1,5] (for 1-5, for example) to the end of a URL:

http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/bexis/HPATFE.html[1,5]

(Currently, that only works for new or overwrite, not update.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedancer885 View Post
Opps forgot to ask. Is there a way to make this kind of download permanent, so I don't have to remember to edit the download every time there is an update?
For all stories, yes. See the Basic tab of FFDL config for 'Default If Story Already Exists'.

For that particular story only, no. But that's why I fixed it.

Jim
Old 11-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #980
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester

How do I make it everything above a particular chapter number? I need all the chapters starting with ch 51.
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #981
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you want a book containing only chapters 51 and up, use:

http://whatever.the.url.is/story[51,]

However, be aware that you will not be able to use the update feature if you have a partial book that doesn't start with chapter 1. Epub update uses the chapter count to determine when and what to update.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #982
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Hi Jim,
I have an efiction site that I would like to be considered for inclusion in your plugin. I need to update the version of efic and reskin etc (plus moving to a new host) and then it should be ready. It's pretty vanilla (installation-wise - no custom bits) but is there anything I can do in the upgrade that would make your life easier?

Sue
Old 11-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #983
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Hi Sue,

What would help the most would be to clearly identify the chapter text and each piece of metadata in the HTML, and to put all the story metadata on the story index page. (We frequently have to parse the author's page, too, to get all the metadata.)

Lengthy examples:
Spoiler:
IE, on each chapter page, instead of just:

Code:
<div>
(chapter text)
</div>
...make it something like:

Code:
<div class="chaptertext">
(chapter text)
</div>
On the chapter index page, instead of

Code:
<div>
<span class="label">Categories:</span> Harry Potter, Star Wars<br />
<span class="label">Genre:</span> Humor, Romance<br />
<span class="label">Word Count:</span> 12,234<br />
</div>
...make it something like:

Code:
<div>
<span class="label">Categories:</span> <span class="category">Harry Potter</span>, <span class="category">Star Wars</span><br />
<span class="label">Genre:</span> <span class="genre">Humor</span>, <span class="genre">Romance</span><br />
<span class="label">Word Count:</span> <span class="wordcount">12,234</span><br />
</div>

When categories/genres/warnings/whatever are already links to a particular category, they're easy to pick out. But it's frequently a pain to pick out the individual bits of metadata with just the human readable labels.

Jim
Old 11-02-2012, 04:45 AM   #984
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Actually, Jim, that looks like it'd make better page code too! Excellent, I'm glad I asked before I start the new skin etc (I'm going to try for a responsive design as well).

Cool! I'll give you a shout when I've got it happening.

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #985
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Auro H2O, PRS-T1
I've been working on adding metadata replacements to the stories I gather and it's been working great. However, after the last batch of stories had 17 fandoms and 34 characters, I wondered if I would be able to sort the characters into a hierarchical list using the replace metadata feature.

I know that I can now change the character based on which category (or fandom) it is in. Is it possible to use a more general statement?

For example:
characters=>(any character)=>category.(any character)

I do have the line:
characters=>\.=>

which deletes any periods in the character name. However, I'm not sure how to make it add the category (or fandom) at the beginning of the character.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #986
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

I don't use hierarchical lists, so I don't know what that's about.

However, if you simply want "category." prepended to all the characters, use:
characters=>(.+)=>category.\1

The replacements are applied in order, so to use both, put the '.' remover first:

replace_metadata:
characters=>\.=>
Old 11-04-2012, 01:31 AM   #987
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
I don't use hierarchical lists, so I don't know what that's about.
Basically, I want the character column I have to list the fandom and then have a sublist of characters.

Example:
Spoiler:
Character
.....Transformers
..........Sam Witwicky
..........Bumblebee
.....Buffy
..........Xander Harris

Quote:
However, if you simply want "category." prepended to all the characters, use:
Not exactly. I do want to prepend something to all the characters. However I want to prepend the fandom the character comes from. I tried substituting {#fandom} and #fandom, but neither did what I was looking for. I'm not sure I'm explaining it very well.

I was hoping to find a way to change every character to fandom(the fandom the character comes from).character without having to input all the characters (including the ones I didn't have to change before, like Bumblebee).

Similar to how I can change a character based on fandom.
Code:
 characters=>Sam W=>Sam Witwicky&&category=>Transformers
will change the characters "Sam W" if it is in the category "Transformers". I want to be able to look for a character, check if it is in a fandom, and then prepend that fandom to the name.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure it can be done without replacing every character metadata individually.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #988
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

You should be able to without a line for every character, but you will need one for every fandom you want separate:

Code:
replace_metadata:
 characters=>(.+)=>Character.Transformers.\1&&category=>Transformers
 characters=>(.+)=>Character.Buffy.\1&&category=>Buffy
Old 11-04-2012, 01:30 AM   #989
Jade Aislin
Groupie

Quote:
You should be able to without a line for every character, but you will need one for every fandom you want separate:

Code:
replace_metadata:
 characters=>(.+)=>Character.Transformers.\1&&category=>Transformers
 characters=>(.+)=>Character.Buffy.\1&&category=>Buffy
Unfortunately, that didn't work when there were two characters and two fandoms with one character from each fandom.

Instead of getting "Transformers.Bumblebee, Buffy.Xander Harris", I get "Buffy.Bumblebee, Buffy.Xander Harris".

Is it possible to set a list of character names to choose what prepend to attach?

For example:
Code:
characters=>(.+)=>Buffy.\1&&characters=>(Buffy or Xander or Spike)&&category=>Buffy
Old 11-04-2012, 01:37 AM   #990
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

characters=>(Buffy|Xander|Spike)=>Buffy.\1&&catego ry=>Buffy

If you're going to get that complicated, at some point you're going to have to learn regular expressions:
http://www.regular-expressions.info/

When 'flavor' matters, it's Python.
Closed Thread