Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Adramandoni
Adramandoni began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Which one will work for me?

I'm in the market for a device, mostly to use for homeschooling. We'll primarily be reading public domain books.
However, I would also like to be able to view PDF teacher's manuals, such as this and this. From my searching I gather this is a bit difficult to find.
Those are my biggest considerations, but ideally I would like a device on which we can read the Hebrew and Greek Bible with dictionary capability. Does such a reader even exist? Or would it be best to get a reader that could run apps and find an app for that function?
Adramandoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For your needs it sounds as if a tablet computer would fit you better than an eInk device. You should perhaps consider the iPad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Agree with Harry,

I just bought an iPad and downloaded Goodreader which cost about 4 dollars. What a powerful combo for PDFs.

If you're in a strict budget, you can consider the Kindle DXG but lacks of many features that the iPad has, like file editing, TOC, etc. A nice device though, light enough and good screen size for PDFs, with zoom and landscape capabilities.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
Adramandoni

I had considered an ipad, but the price is a bit much. I have yet to go see anything in person and find out whether I like eink or TFT LCD.

If I were to look at multiple devices, a dedicated eink reader for books, and something else for pdf and Hebrew/Greek, what should I consider?
Old 02-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
For PDFs, those two are the best and maybe you can also take a look on the Pocketbook IQ.

For regular ebooks, like novels and similar it depends of what you usually read and what are you looking for or want on the device itself. I'm assuming you don't live in USA so maybe you should take a look on Sony devices or Kindle 3, because the International support. Kindle is less expensive though.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 12:31 AM   #6
Adramandoni

I do actually live in the US, so international support isn't an issue. So the Sony 650 or 950 would be options?

I've been researching tablet options as well, any suggestions for those?
Old 02-21-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adramandoni View Post
I do actually live in the US, so international support isn't an issue. So the Sony 650 or 950 would be options?

I've been researching tablet options as well, any suggestions for those?
The PRS-650 is a bit pricey for a 6 inch e-ink device with no fancy WiFi or 3G wireless features, but I own one and can report that it is definitely the best laid out, easiest to use, device in it's class, and the PDF handling is top notch for such a small device.

For tablets, there are a lot of options, but I also like the PocketBook IQ 701, which offers a lot of bang for the buck for such a low cost device.

I used to be an Apple owner. I never minded that Apple devices seemed to cost about 3 times what they should up front, but now days with you locked into their various app stores, music stores, book stores, it's like they have a vacuum cleaner hose hooked right up to your wallet.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote