Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-16-2011, 05:28 AM   #1
deadse
deadse began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Rooting SN# 10101xxx

Hi,

Need a little help with the rooting of a very new nook. SN 101015xx. Non of the methods seem to work though. Hardreset only gets 1.5 again so that's kinda out.

Everything has been set up properly for the router root method, 2 links to 217.20.163.111. Don't blink shows up, error downloading happens. But hitting home key does nothing. I've tried restarting as indicated in the guide. Repeating the whole process from hard reset even. All no go. Adb insists that it's unable to connect to the nook ip:5555.

is mine unrootable or am I doing something wrong?
deadse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Nakaleen
Enthusiast
Nakaleen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch / Kindle DX (damaged screen)
Sorry for the unhelpfull reply but I am in the same boat. Just got mine today, the same serial. Spent the day trying to decode the mess that is nookdev for any info, but no luck so far.
Nakaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
jhitesma
jhitesma began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic & Nook Color
Interesting, it sounds like either the .apk that does the rooting isn't getting installed or whatever causes that .apk to run when you go to home isn't working. Since that was one of the few parts of the root procedure I didn't fully dissect/understand I'm not sure what exactly could be causing the problem.

I'd suggest going to the nookdevs IRC channel and asking in there. I got some good help tracking down my issue with registration getting lost (still haven't solved the problem, but the questions I asked were answered quickly to help me investigate.)
jhitesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
deadse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhitesma View Post
Interesting, it sounds like either the .apk that does the rooting isn't getting installed or whatever causes that .apk to run when you go to home isn't working. Since that was one of the few parts of the root procedure I didn't fully dissect/understand I'm not sure what exactly could be causing the problem.

I'd suggest going to the nookdevs IRC channel and asking in there. I got some good help tracking down my issue with registration getting lost (still haven't solved the problem, but the questions I asked were answered quickly to help me investigate.)
I just hope that there's actually some one in there. I'm in the GMT+8 time zone.

Oh and just incase I'm being an outright idiot, I don't need a sd card in the slot for the root to work right?

@Nakaleen

Don't know if you've tried this yet, But those are the instructions for rooting 1.5. Supposedly works up till a 1005.

Read the last paragraph of the first link then follow up with the second link. Hope it works for you, at least then the problem lies with my application of the method rather than the method itself.

http://nookdevs.com/Talk:Rooting_New...ng_vanilla_1.5
http://nookdevs.com/Applying_With_Details
Old 02-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
jhitesma

There are always a bunch of people lurking in there, but no clue how many may be active at any given time. I'm in GMT-7 and haven't had any problems finding someone alive and responding in the evenings....but there are people from all over in there so it's usually not a matter of if you can find someone but rather who

There should be no need for an SD card. I did mine with no SD card and it came with factory 1.5 (but it's only a 1003* SN)

It sounds like you're doing it right since the "Don't blink" is showing up - that means your nook did sync with the fake server and download the update. But I don't know of a way to tell if the rooting .apk also got downloaded successfully...and I'm still not clear at all on how that .apk gets executed when going to the home menu so that's about the limit of the help I can give
Old 02-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
Nakaleen
Enthusiast

Thanks for the links, I got a little further then before. After 9 hours I've got to a point that a rooting script seemed to have been installed. When I boot up it ask me to go to 'Home' or 'Nook Root'

Selecting 'Nook Root', I have 3 more options, 'Start Rooting', 'Remove Nook Root' and 'Exit.

I select 'Start Rooting' I get this...........

Adb state: started
root2.sh execution state: not found

So what now? I still can't connect via Adb.....

Heading to bed before I throw the thing. Only got the nook becouse of all the postings saying how easy it was to root(this was around the time of 1.3-1.4)
Old 02-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
deadse

If the rooting script is to be believed, you should have root already. Just need to connect from the abd on your pc.

Any error messages in particular?

I'll be giving it another go this weekend. Maybe i should try out the no router method. Minimise on potential config errors.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #8
sjkevin
Connoisseur
sjkevin is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakaleen View Post
I still can't connect via Adb.....
Maybe you're trying to connect over wifi when you should be using USB (or vice versa)?

Good luck!
sjkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
reyluree
reyluree began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I had tons of problems trying to get ADB to see my device via USB. It worked after I initally rooted and haven't been able to get it to work that way again since.

ADB Wireless has worked perfectly for me.
reyluree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:19 PM   #10
jhitesma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakaleen View Post
I select 'Start Rooting' I get this...........

Adb state: started
root2.sh execution state: not found

So what now? I still can't connect via Adb.....
Ok, sounds good. You're 99% of the way there.

Exactly how are you trying to connect with adb? USB or wireless? I don't think this method supports USB tethering from what I can tell it has to be wireless. So make sure your network is back to normal and the nook is getting an IP address in your normal range (some of the 1.5 methods involve setting up a custom DHCP server and could end up putting your nook a different subnet...so you may have to put things back to normal and reboot the nook to make sure it's on your normal network.)

Then make sure you're specifying the nook's IP with :5555 after it when starting adb on your computer. So the command line should be something like:
adb connect 192.168.0.110:5555

(where 192.168.0.110 is the IP on your nook.)

I've also noticed that I sometimes have to try and connect a couple of times before adb finally connects. Not sure why but I've never done adb over wireless until my nook and I'm not a big fan of wireless in general so I tend to just blame the connection
Old 02-18-2011, 05:08 AM   #11
Nakaleen
Enthusiast

*wipes blood off the keyboard form the head banging* hehehehe

Ok... day 4 of trying to root this.

Yesterday was able to get it to display the 'Home' or 'Nook Root' options.

Now it is gone and nothing will get it back.

So this is how I have been trying to root it.

I am using the 'Non router' options, with Connectify for wireless and TreeWalk to redirect the DNS to 217.20.163.111.

I connect to the wifi and force a update by 'Check for new content'. A download is attempted and failed (I also checked and 'Don't Blink' appears in B&N Library so I know it is connect to the right place)

But then thats it. Once the download failed I can't get to the 'Home' or 'Nook Root' options (I forgot how I did it last time). I press the Home/nook button, normal screen. I do a reset, nothing.

So I wanted to start from stretch, so I tried the 'Hold power button' for 12 sec for 6 times trick. But I only get to the 4th time when the System update screen appears. On the LCD screen it only says Checking for Updates, but then just boots up normally without doing anything.

There must be a step I am missing.... or have I semi bricked this (ie can't revert to stock/can't update)
Old 02-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
jhitesma

Is your network back to normal when do try to do the factory restore? If not I'd try putting that back to normal first.

Once you had the root app showing up you didn't need to do the router/non-router root stuff again. At that point you were there - the nook was rooted it was just a matter of working out your connection to it with ADB. So by trying to root again you actually took a step backwards.

I'd say make sure your network is back to normal and then do the factory restore. From there do the root method you did before that seemed to work. Once you have "Don't blink" showing up and the root app starting when you try to go to home put your network back to normal and then focus on getting adb to connect because at that point you ARE rooted and it's just a matter of getting adb to connect (which sometimes takes me a few tries over wireless even when everything is setup perfect.)
Old 02-18-2011, 11:24 PM   #13
deadse

I've had another go at rooting my nook. Seems to be getting less successful actually.

All goes well till don't blink shows up. The error update happens and then don't blink goes on to show up another 8 times. Think I'll just give rooting a break. I am supposed to be reading books and not so much how-to guides.

It's not too bad being unable to run trook. At least calibre can generate a catalogue and i can search within my documents. It's not quite the manual scrolling hell that i expected.

Praying hard that someone over at nookdevs figures out how to softroot some time soon.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:56 PM   #14
jhitesma

Sorry to hear you're getting frustrated. I had the same thing with lots of copies of "Don't blink" showing up after a few tries. They all went away once I de-registered and re-registered with the real server.

The DNS redirect method is a little confusing to setup if you don't know your router well or don't have one that will let you easily override things. You were very close. You basically had it rooted when you had the root app up and running.

I was just going to suggest making sure you have Wifi before trying to get adb to connect. I always forget to get it running and have to use wifi locker to force it on. I've found that starting adb with wifi off can cause issues sometimes. Things seem to work best for me when I remember to lock wifi on before starting adb - first time around you can't have wifi locker yet so making sure wifi is on first can be trickier. I wonder if that's why it suddenly worked well for me one time after quite a bit of frustration.

I know mine is rooted and it just took me about 5 minutes and a dozen tries to get adb connected. Sometimes it's just really fussy for me. I've had the same problem with adb over USB with several phones and with all of those devices on several different computers and virtual computers. So I have to assume adb is just like that sometimes, or really doesn't like me.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #15
deadse

Guess you're getting me and Nakaleen merged into one.

I have some experience with setting up home networks but oddly enough, I'm also the one with no success at all. The apk doesn't run when i hit home nor if i restart or retry from hard reset. I've checked connections/ip addresses etc Ping responds and addresses is as expected. Guess my set just doesn't like being rooted.

I'll try rooting again when i get back in free reading mood. Currently engrossed in the discworld series so I'm perfectly happy with just that on my nook.

I'll get Trook working one way or another if I should decide to dump my full library on it. 70-80 pages worth of scrolling through catalogues isn't all that entertaining.

Thanks for the encouragement though.