Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
1st Kobo Purchase - Can't Download

I've made my first purchase from Kobo, but I can't download the book. When the "Open with..." window pops up (I am using a version of Windows XP), ADE is not a choice. When I search for it manually, I can find it, but when I choose it, I am defaulted to Adobe Reader.

Adobe Digital Editions opens up fine on its own, but I can't download the file from it.

Any suggestions? Do I need the Kobo desktop software? I was under the impression that I did not and I would not have purchased the book if I had to install more software.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Where did you download it to? I download all my stuff to My Documents-My Books-Reader Library. I save it there and then when it's done downloading I go into reader library, find the ascm file and double click on it. Usually it pops up in the Sony reader library.

I had a problem the other day, not quite the same as yours but I still can't read my book, lol. Try re-downloading it and saving it there, see what happens.
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Could it be in the folder 'My Digital Editions' inside the 'My Documents' folder?
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
No, you do not need the Kobo desktop software.

First, I would try to re-download the EPUB file from your Kobo Library to your computer hard-drive as emonti8384 suggests. When you click the download button on the Kobo website, try a "Save As" instead of "Open". What is saved from the Kobo website to your computer is a file with the name something like URLLink.acsm. Then right-click on this acsm file and now you should hopefully see the Open With > Adobe Digital Editions option.

If that doesn't work, then maybe you need to uninstall and reinstall the ADE software. I'm not sure why it is only showing you an option for Adobe Acrobat in the Open With box.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Does it list ePub as a format? I only ask because some of their books you cannot download.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope, saving it didn't work either. It does have the "Download epub" button and I do get the *.acsm file. In either case, it wants to open it with Adobe Reader and completely disregards my selection of Adobe Digital Editions.

Thanks for the suggestions -- I wanted to make sure that I was doing it correctly. I've downloaded files from other sites that required ADE with no problem, so I thought maybe there was another trick to this one.

I'll try reinstalling ADE; my computer's been acting a little off anyway and maybe it has gotten corrupted.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you have the latest versions of software?

I just remembered that I used to have something similar happen on my Windows PC. Only in my case, it was that I couldn't get files to open with Adobe Acrobat Professional. Instead they would default open with Acrobat Reader. It was just like the Pro version wasn't installed on my computer even though I knew it was. I would reboot my computer and that would make it go away for awhile. But, eventually it would happen again. I think the problem went away permanently when I upgraded to newer versions of the software.

EDIT: Maybe the common theme is an Acrobat Reader issue? Perhaps you should try to uninstall that one first since it's easier than ADE.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 12-16-2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Added statement
Old 12-17-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
sakura-panda
Guru

This is a work computer and Reader is part of the supported install so I can't do anything with it. However, I do believe that it was recently updated (I remember it requested a computer reboot) and I'll bet that did have something to do with it.

If I uninstall and then reinstall ADE, will I have to reauthorize it? Or should I look at unauthorizing it before uninstalling it? Or should I just quit trying to buy books when I'm at work?
Old 12-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
This is a work computer and Reader is part of the supported install so I can't do anything with it. However, I do believe that it was recently updated (I remember it requested a computer reboot) and I'll bet that did have something to do with it.

If I uninstall and then reinstall ADE, will I have to reauthorize it? Or should I look at unauthorizing it before uninstalling it? Or should I just quit trying to buy books when I'm at work?
I have never tried to uninstall ADE so I am not sure what will happen. Do you have a computer at home? Maybe the best solution is to just use your home computer.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Have you tried opening up Adobe Digital Editions first, saving URLLink.acsm to some accessible location on the hard drive, as others have suggested, and drag-and-dropping the ACSM file into ADE? I'm wondering if the file associations in WinXP are screwed up.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
sakura-panda
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I have never tried to uninstall ADE so I am not sure what will happen. Do you have a computer at home? Maybe the best solution is to just use your home computer.
I do, but since I've used ADE with this computer before, I wanted to see if it was something I had missed (such as needing to install Kobo desktop) and has sort of snowballed from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
Have you tried opening up Adobe Digital Editions first, saving URLLink.acsm to some accessible location on the hard drive, as others have suggested, and drag-and-dropping the ACSM file into ADE? I'm wondering if the file associations in WinXP are screwed up.
That worked. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

What a great tip, viviena! I learned something new too. I didn't know you could drag-and-drop the ACSM file into ADE.

Glad you're up and running again, Katie. Have fun reading!
Old 12-18-2010, 05:16 AM   #13
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
vivienna is correct. Your file association with .acsm files is screwed up somehow.If you are using Firefox and you purchase an ebook it should ask you what to do with .ascm files at which point you can browse to Adobe Digital Editions and save the setting for future purchases.
Otherwise you can go into Windows Explorer and select folder options from the Tools menu then file types and find the acsm entry and change it to ADE and all should be sweet.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:48 AM   #14
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I've always dragged and dropped the acsm file to ADE.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #15
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I had a similar problem at first myself, until someone suggested "unlocking" the acsm feature, and now they open directly without my having to download the file first.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote