Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-01-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Stripping out dashes on epub convert?

Running 0.7.12, I'm seeing conversion to epub strip (and sometimes paragraph-break) dashes. Source was originally PDF, but I captured debug output and inspected the HTML and the dashes were in the intermediate steps. I tried importing the "processed" HTML and converting to epub with that and the dashes were still stripped in the resulting epub.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:58 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
are these dashes normal hyphens or a special hyphen emdash or the like.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 02:32 AM   #3
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It looks like pdf2html converted them to 0x00AD, soft-hyphen rather than 0x002D, hyphen-minus. They're then stripped out between the final output from debugging and the actual epub creation.

The paragraph breaks at some of these hyphens appear to be bad line unwrapping on PDF conversion. I could play with line unwrapping to get a better PDF conversion and then manually convert the soft hyphens to regular hyphens.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, well that explains it. IIRC calibre strips soft hyphens because various readers render them incorrectly as normal hyphens making text unreadabe.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
toddos
Guru

I'm not sure why pdf2html converted those to soft hyphens. I guess that's how the PDF was made?

Manually fixing them worked, but of course it was a pain (turn on debugging, convert PDF to epub, grab the html output, modify that, import it, convert html to epub, clean up poor PDF line unwrapping in the epub with Sigil). I know it's my fault for wanting to convert PDF, but I hate hate hate PDF as a format
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

With PDF everything is black magic. I've never seen such a messy format. My attitude is that if pdftohtml can't handle it, then I don't care about it