Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Why I didn't wait for the iPad killers

Ok....from the "why not xyz alternative" perspective. If I decided it would be nice to have a slate device that's neither a smartphone nor a laptop -- why not....

Wait for the HP Slate? The Slate looks to be a nice device. We'll have to wait and see how it well it performs once it's released or they give press access to samples (as Apple did). Flash support is surely a competitive advantage. But, I did not wait because:

* I do not believe windows is a great touch OS
* I do not desire to run my windows apps on a slate
* I do not desire to run my windows apps on a netbook processor
* If I wanted to run windows in a "smaller than a laptop" form factor, I'd pick one of the convertible netbooks with a screen that folds over to become a tablet.

Dell Mini 5. It looks nice. It runs Android. I think that Android is going to be the best competitor to the iPhone OS. I like Google, I like the openness of the Linux platform. I like java as a development language. I like Dell as a company. But I am not waiting for this device because:

* I already have an iPhone/iPod Touch.
* I do not think 5" is all that different than what I have
* I can make calls on my iphone and it fits in my pocket.
* One of my main uses is for sharing photos -- and a 10" screen is much more desirable.

JooJoo. Are you kidding me? I have doubts that this device will ever see the light of day. It's another "few Indian engineers start a company and get press attention" vaporware device. Vaporware is more than just "does the product exist" but also "do they have a chance in hell of marketing and distributing the device". Also, they are going to lose to Micael Arrington's lawsuits over IP. If this product did see the light of day -- I have no interest in a device that only surfs the web and is almost as heavy as a laptop.

Notion Ink's Adam. A very interesting "we have a spec" device from yet another "group of guys with an idea and a website" in India. The Pixel Q screen looks very interesting. I like the screen size (vs. the Dell Mini) and that it runs Android. It's not nearly as slick/polished looking as the iPad but should be sufficient. But I'm not waiting for them because:

* I do not think Android has the entertainment/games ecosystem anywhere near the level of the iPhone OS.
* Android is a great option for phones -- where being "a phone" with email, web surfing, facebook and texting covers 90% of the use cases. It has enough apps to supplement this with more coming. But JUST going by it's entertainment features -- I don't think it will hold a candle to the iPhone ecosystem.
* Not only do I not think the current "designed for phones" Android apps are worth having such a device for, I do not think there is any kind of incentive for folks to be developing Android apps to take advantage of the large screen. Google has not even created 10" versions of the basic google apps for the Android. I have a lot more confidence in Apple's ability to get support for it's device such that I have no worries being an early adopter. Even if I did want one of these devices, believed that Android was "already there" in terms of entertainment, I'd wait and see what kind of apps came out to support the 10" screen.

50-100 Chinese made "me too" android slates. See all the above reasons for not waiting for them and add:

* I think there is far more to creating a great user experience on a slate device than merely slapping together commodity items and putting Android on it.
* Put this in the "I'll let others be the early adopters" for these devices.

Netbooks. I think people love their netbooks and, if they have the right expectations for them, are getting a lot out of them. Netbooks have been available for awhile now and I just have not wanted one. When speaking of netbooks a year ago, and about Apple's needing a netbook I said "I don't want a netbook, what I want is a large iPod Touch". I do not think the iPad and the netbook have all that much overlap (some, but not all that much). I fully understand why more folks will continue to choose nebooks than iPads.

Laptop. I already have a laptop. My kids have a laptop. We like them. If I could only have one device, it would be a laptop. I'm actually wanting MORE power for my laptop not less. I have a 17" screen on my laptop and do not wish for a smaller one. My laptop is plugged in 99% of the time and I'm fine with that. I'm writing this from my laptop. I know I could get a laptop for my kids for cheaper than an iPad. The laptop they now have cost $340. For me the iPad is in ADDITION TO, not INSTEAD OF, a laptop.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I do have the Dell Mini 10V netbook and it works great for me. I have my Kindle for PC, mobipocket reader, and barnes and noble reader on it. When I am on Vacation I use it to check my email and check the local weather.
I have nothing against Apples and maybe after I retire and I no longer do support of MS software I will either go to linux or maybe even to mac and the ipad who knows.
At this time I do not wish to use the slate or the ipad I have had a tablet conv. pc in the past and did not really care for it. Give me a keybrd and a mouse and I am happy. That may change in the future.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Could we get this moved to another forum. It doesn't seem like news, there is no mention of ebooks, ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Thank you for sharing. It's a massive relief to know that your iPad purchase is justified. I'm sure I won't be the only one to sleep better at night knowing you have thought it through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cool-story-bro.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	47877  
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Thank you for sharing. It's a massive relief to know that your iPad purchase is justified. I'm sure I won't be the only one to sleep better at night knowing you have thought it through.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Actually, a netbook in a table/slate format is exactly what I am waiting for. Windows 7 is a must because of its versatility and available software (from a million places instead of one place). A tablet/slate also simply must have a built-in SDHC card reader and at least one USB port. That is why I am waiting for the iPad killers...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok....for ereading.....

None of the competitors advantages (flash support, multi-tasking, usb) have anything to do with eReading so...

I went with the iPad for it's nice large beautiful screen -- and the fact that I can get books from the Apple iBookstore, Amazon, B&N, Fictionwise -- and pretty much every other source.

Also -- major magazine and newspapers are already lining up to get their content in iPad specific apps.

And, since the iPad should be a fabulous eReader, and windows machines and android machines should also be great ereaders -- I went with the one that's compatible with my beloved iPhone/iPod Touch apps.

Lee
Old 03-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Could we get this moved to another forum. It doesn't seem like news...
So where would you have the mods. move it to? And anyway, I think it's more of a 'commentary', no?

@Lee; can't fault your logic; nicely written and well wrought.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
So where would you have the mods. move it to? And anyway, I think it's more of a 'commentary', no?

@Lee; can't fault your logic; nicely written and well wrought.
Thanks. When I looked for a spot to put this post, I did not see an "iPad" section and I did see that this was "news and commentary". I placed it here as commentary.

I'm looking forward to the iPad for many reasons, ereading is one of them. But mostly for magazines, newspapers and web content. I'm not sure at all I'll use it for books. I like reading on my iphone. I don't "tolerate it" -- I LIKE it. I like reading books on my iphone more than reading actual books. It's small, always with me, easy to hold and I don't need a book light.

Lee
Old 03-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Why I'm not buying an iPad:

I don't want to read books on a transmissive LCD.

I want a battery life measured in weeks, not hours.

I don't want one penny of my money to go to one of the creepiest, most Orwellian companies on the face of the Earth.
http://www.boingboing.net/2010/03/08...loper-eul.html
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #11
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Could we get this moved to another forum. It doesn't seem like news, there is no mention of ebooks, ...
News and Commentary

Whether or not I agree with him, his commentary belongs here. Not in an iPod/iPhone/iPad (snickersnicker snicker, what a name, snicker) section.

The kind of thing that I don't want here are complaints about batteries, software, etc.

But what , or why, you like/dislike something does belong in a section named "News and Commentary".
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
What SCION said x 10~!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #13
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I went with the iPad for it's nice large beautiful screen -- and the fact that I can get books from the Apple iBookstore, Amazon, B&N, Fictionwise -- and pretty much every other source.
Unproven at this point. The only thing known for sure is there is supposed to be an ibook store.

Quote:
Also -- major magazine and newspapers are already lining up to get their content in iPad specific apps.
Who? Do you have a source for this information? Specific magazines and newspapers? Where's the line start?

Quote:
And, since the iPad should be a fabulous eReader, and windows machines and android machines should also be great ereaders -- I went with the one that's compatible with my beloved iPhone/iPod Touch apps.

Lee
Should be? Should be compatible?

I think it might be wise to wait and see what really happens.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #14
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post

I don't want one penny of my money to go to one of the creepiest, most Orwellian companies on the face of the Earth.

Wow!

Old 03-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #15
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post

That is scary

But, given that most of the hardcore Apple apologists would apparently happily sell their soul for an unproven, expensive item which is incapable of multi-tasking and seriously compromised for input ports, I doubt they'll care.

One of them will be along soon to defend the Apple license and to call me an Apple hating so-and-so no doubt.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote