Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
NetLibrary adds support for Sony Readers, Nook, Cool-ER

From the press release:
Quote:
"A greater variety of electronic readers available to consumers creates a tremendous opportunity for libraries," said Chip Nilges, OCLC Vice President, Business Development. "By offering popular downloadable eContent that can be read on portable devices such as the nook and the Daily Edition, libraries can quickly adapt to market conditions and meet the changing needs of their users."

OCLC NetLibrary, the leading provider of eContent solutions for libraries, currently offers more than 140,000 PDF titles that are compatible with the Barnes & Noble nook, Sony's Daily Edition and other devices including all four Sony Digital Readers (PRS-300, 505, 600 and 700BC), as well as the COOL-ER. Titles available in the NetLibrary catalog include current bestsellers, award-winners and timeless classics, and cover subject categories ranging from fiction to business to personal growth and more.

OCLC NetLibrary uses the Adobe Content Server to provide offline eReader capability to library users. Adobe Content Server is integrated with the OCLC NetLibrary platform to offer users seamless offline access to the library's existing NetLibrary collections, providing library users a single point of access to eBook content for online and offline use. Users who have established a NetLibrary account can log in, download selected titles to their computers, and transfer them to supported devices using Adobe Digital Editions.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Netlibrary competes with OverDrive in enabling libraries to lend ebooks and audiobooks, but I can't find a search tool to compare their ebook selection with that of OverDrive (http://search.overdrive.com/). Some libraries seem to have partnered with both.

Based on web discussions (here and here) it appears OD offers more popular material. Has anyone here checked out NetLibrary ebooks?
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
caeebe
caeebe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch PRS-650
My library has both and you are right that OD has more popular and recent material. The only things I have checked out from NetLibrary are classics (read online with their reader) that I probably could have found free elsewhere and audio books. Their audiobook selection (at my library) is pretty inadequate and hard to use as an entire book will be on one file. My cheap mp3 player works better when the book is broken up into files for each chapter. My previous cheap mp3 player couldn't even hold an entire book due to file size constraints. The final reason I rarely use NetLibrary is that their search engine is pretty useless and unfriendly.

I had been using NetLibrary to read one author not previously in my library's OD selection but recently they have been added to OD and hopefully I'll not longer need NetLibrary. I do not know if the reason for the differences in selection are due to my library's purchasing habits or just a difference in what is available at NetLibrary. I have recently moved to another region with a different library system and they only have NetLibrary. Their selection is also not very good (nearly the same as my previous library's). I will continue to use my previous library's subscription to OD as long as possible.
caeebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
This definately one area where Sony, B&N, and everybody else has a huge advantage over Amazon's Kindles.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
more on oclc here:

http://www.oclc.org/ebooks/Go_portable/
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert