Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #4126
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
https://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/wiki/InstallGuide

Is this installation guide?? I have no idea.

Last edited by FinancialWar; 02-23-2014 at 03:44 PM.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #4127
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
What else could you ask for?
Well, when I change the font, I have to go back and forth several times changing font size and line height until the proper size "settles in". Sometimes I think it is OK, but then every other chapter in a book will have one font size while the others have a 2nd size.

This is consistent across two 350's, several books, and several fonts.

Sometimes this behavior seems to go away if I do the changes through the main PRS+ settings menu instead of from the individual book. But not always.

In the end, it all works. But it's still kind of frustrating.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #4128
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
https://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/wiki/InstallGuide

Is this installation guide?? I have no idea.
Yes, where it says "Check readme.txt." Just download the newest correct version for your reader which is 2.1.02alpha for the 350. Unzip the file and read the text file included, it has all the directions, which basically is connect your reader, double-click the .exe file and it will install to the 350.

Here's the entire instructions from the file:
Quote:
Installation:

Warning: MAKE SURE YOUR READER IS AT LEAST 75% CHARGED before starting installation!!!

1) Connect your reader to the PC
2) Double-click the setup.exe on the PC. The program will give you all necessary instructions on your PC screen.

Linux / MacOS users

You will need Windows for the first installation.
Subsequent updates could be installed by simply unpacking update.zip to internal memory and rebooting the reader.
The rest of the page gives you a sample of how to set up your own custom stylesheets so you can change fonts from within the reader. You can add as many fonts as you like. I have maybe a dozen installed still from the original testing of various fonts until I settled on my favorite font and size, which is Lexia DaMa for me. You will create a separate stylesheet for each font you want to add, name them anyway you want to identify which font it is.

The only thing I'd add is that normally there are 4 font files you should include: normal, bold, italic and bold italic. Be certain your filenames within your stylesheet exactly match the filenames of the fonts themselves, including capitalization. Both .ttf and .otf font files will work fine. Then it's a simple matter to change fonts on the fly from the reader provided the book didn't embed fonts and special coding that will override your new stylesheets. Then you have to open up the epub in Sigil, strip the fonts and delete the font-family and size references, save and done. I believe Calibre can do this now also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
Well, when I change the font, I have to go back and forth several times changing font size and line height until the proper size "settles in". Sometimes I think it is OK, but then every other chapter in a book will have one font size while the others have a 2nd size.

Sometimes this behavior seems to go away if I do the changes through the main PRS+ settings menu instead of from the individual book. But not always.

I've never had this happen and I've been using PRS+ since I got my first 350 in January 2011. Does it happen to every book or only sometimes? It's possible there's conflicting lines in the stylesheet.css that's included in the book is my only guess.

If you post more info here, I'm sure the developers or other users will try and help you out.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 02-23-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #4129
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
Holy moly. The installation was so easy.

I don't understand why you don't just put

1) Connect your reader to the PC
2) Double-click the setup.exe on the PC. The program will give you all necessary instructions on your PC screen.

on the installation wiki page. Instead of "check readme.txt", otherwise I would have installed prs+ years ago.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:39 PM   #4130
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
My son and daughter still use their 350s on a regular basis and my other son and his wife use my old 505 and 950. All devices have had PRS+ installed for years. The x50 readers have had PRS+ on them from day 1.

Quote:

I have never had this happen either. But, all of my books have been scrubbed of embedded fonts and formatted as I like them. I would guess it is coding in your book somehow conflicting with the reader.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2014, 11:51 PM   #4131
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud of

I am not sure what would conflict, but I am no expert at this.

This is the stylesheet.css from a typical book formatted in calibre:

Code:
@namespace h "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
.calibre {
    display: block;
    font-family: GeorgiaEInk15;
    font-size: 0.80833em;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 2pt;
    margin-right: 2pt;
    margin-top: 0;
    padding-left: 0;
    padding-right: 0
    }
.calibre1 {
    font-size: 1.34021em;
    font-weight: bold;
    line-height: 1.31;
    margin-bottom: 0.83em;
    margin-left: 0;
    margin-right: 0;
    margin-top: 0.83em;
    text-align: center
    }
.calibre10 {
    color: blue;
    cursor: pointer;
    text-decoration: underline
    }
.calibre11 {
    line-height: 1.31
    }
.calibre12 {
    color: inherit;
    cursor: inherit;
    text-decoration: inherit
    }
.calibre13 {
    color: #001950;
    }
.calibre14 {
    font-style: italic;
    }
.calibre2 {
    color: #b90000;
    }
.calibre3 {
    font-weight: bolder;
    }
.calibre4 {
    text-align: justify
    }
.calibre5 {
    }
.calibre6 {
    color: #f00;
    }
.calibre7 {
    }
.calibre8 {
    }
.calibre9 {
    color: #00f;
    }
.title {
    font-size: 1.34021em;
    margin-bottom: 0.83em;
    margin-left: 0;
    margin-right: 0;
    margin-top: 0.83em
    }
This is a typical font css I have added to the proper folder in PRS+:

Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: serif; 
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: normal;
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/GeorgiaEInk15.ttf);
}

@font-face {
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/GeorgiaEInk15Italic.ttf);
}

@font-face {
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/GeorgiaEInk15Bold.ttf); 
}

@font-face {
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/GeorgiaEInk15BoldItalic.ttf);
}

body, body.calibre, body.calibre1, body.calibre2, body.calibre3, body.calibre4, body.calibre5, body.calibre6, body.calibre7, body.calibre8, body.calibre9, body.calibre10, body.calibre11, body.calibre12, body.calibre13, body.tx, body.tx1, body.indent, body.noindent {
font-family: GeorgiaEInk15, serif;
widows: 0;
orphans: 0;
}
My books have no embedded fonts. My various font choices do work on the 350's, but with the strange behavior described previously.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:28 AM   #4132
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I am not sure what would conflict, but I am no expert at this.

This is the stylesheet.css from a typical book formatted in calibre:

Code:
@namespace h "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
.calibre {
    font-family: GeorgiaEInk15;
    font-size: 0.80833em;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 2pt;
    margin-right: 2pt;
    margin-top: 0;
    padding-left: 0;
    padding-right: 0
    }
This is a typical font css I have added to the proper folder in PRS+:

Code:
@font-face {
}
My books have no embedded fonts. My various font choices do work on the 350's, but with the strange behavior described previously.
I'm no expert but the fact that you have font-family: GeorgiaEInk15 in your book's CSS seems to indicate that you may have the font embedded in your book or tried to have it in your book.

The only difference between your books and mine is the fact that none of my books have any font-family lines in the book's CSS. When I used my Sony my font.css file on my device is similar.

Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: "Georgia";
}

@font-face {
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/GeorgiaEInk15Bold.ttf);
}

@font-face {
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/GeorgiaEInk15BoldItalic.ttf);
}

@font-face {
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/GeorgiaEInk15Italic.ttf);
}

/* Standard elements */

html, body { 
font-family: "Georgia", serif; 
widows: 0; 
orphans: 0; 
margin: 0; 
padding: 0;
text-align: left;
}

h1, h2, h3, h4{ margin: 0; padding: 0; text-indent: 0;}

p 
{
text-indent:1.1em; 
}

div 
{
text-indent:1.1em;
}

/* 
   To increase ePub line height Remove rem slashes 
   surrounding the paragraph and division statements below. 
   Then adjust percentage higher, try 110% to start.
*/

/*

p {
line-height: 110%
}

div {
line-height: 110%
}

*/
So the only difference I see is the book's CSS font-family entry.

As a test you could take a book that has the issues and run a epub to epub conversion and select to remove all font-family references (see attached). Then send this book to your device and see if it makes a difference.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	font_removal.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	119508  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-24-2014 at 07:55 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:40 AM   #4133
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's my thought as well, you should remove any lines referencing a font-family name. Even if you don't have the font embedded or installed, the book will try to match up to another font that may not be to your liking.

I'd also remove any font-size references where it pertains to the main body of the text. I would leave a special size for the copyright page for instance, chapter headings, etc. But for the main body of text, I want to be able to adjust the size normally without any limitations.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #4134
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:

You're not alone, Phil. I also see this on my PRS350.

My problems started when I began to use the new PRS+ css features utilising the files userCSSValues.js and extern.css which allow more control (in theory) of the buttons in the font menu pop-up.

Prior to this if I wanted to have several slightly different sizes of a particular font family then I just had one custom css file per font-family/font-size combo with the ttf filenames and font-sizes hard-coded in each. I never had any trouble with this setup.

Using userCSSValues.js and extern.css seemed to offer a way of only having one css file per font-family and letting the buttons do the fine-tuning. Good theory but flawed in practice for me. Maybe I didn't get the userCSSValues.js/extern.css files quite right, I don't know? I don't remember any discussion about this at the time, so I wonder how many people actually tried the new options. I don't think I've got them totally wrong because they appear to work fine most of the time but things do sometimes go awry at change of chapter in some books.

I haven't had the mental fortitude to track down the problem as I do most of my reading on Kobos these days (less probs changing font-family/font-size/line-height with these )
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #4135
Phil_C
Addict

Thanks to all for the input.

At least I know I'm not the only one with this issue. The common point now seems to be the use of userCSSValues.js. I tweaked the size and height numbers to my liking. And those are the values I have to play around with when reading a book until they settle down and give me a constant font size in each chapter.

Sometimes when I select a new font, the size will be too large. I go to the size dialogue and when I increase the size using the userCSSValues.js boxes, the font gets smaller! This changes after I go back and forth with the size and height values.

Oh, well. I read mostly on my T3 now, so I can live with the behavior of PRS+ on the 350's. I don't have the energy to go back and change everything for the older readers.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #4136
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Sometimes when I select a new font, the size will be too large. I go to the size dialogue and when I increase the size using the userCSSValues.js boxes, the font gets smaller! This changes after I go back and forth with the size and height values.
Sounds about right.

Quote:
Oh, well. I read mostly on my T3 now, so I can live with the behavior of PRS+ on the 350's. I don't have the energy to go back and change everything for the older readers.
Precisely
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #4137
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Quote:
... I go to the size dialogue and when I increase the size using the userCSSValues.js boxes, the font gets smaller! This changes after I go back and forth with the size and height values. ...
Probably using either or both of those css files is the cause. I've never used either userCSSValues.js or extern.css, so that would explain why I've never seen the issue.

When I create my fontstylename.css file, I always include the font-size and line-height I prefer within that file, so setting my size options once usually holds for every book and I rarely need to change it. I've never really seen the need for either of those additional files for myself.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #4138
userloser
userloser began at the beginning.

Device: prs-650
Is this project dead?

I've tried to access the project site, but the documentation is gone. I recall that the software wasn't working on the Japanese versions when I first checked it out years ago, is this still the case?

TIA.
userloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:30 PM   #4139
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by userloser View Post
I've tried to access the project site, but the documentation is gone. I recall that the software wasn't working on the Japanese versions when I first checked it out years ago, is this still the case?

TIA.
Yes, it's dead. The site still seems to be there. I suggest you read the entire thread and see what info you can get. But it seems as though if you do install, you are on your own.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:30 AM   #4140
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Just a update where you can access the project-files:

PRS+ in Google Code Archive.

(If you get a 404-Error enable all scrips if you are using noscipt or similar, this did the trick for me.)
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote