Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-27-2008, 04:32 AM   #16
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
PDF to ePub would only provide a non-optimal conversion. Most scientific papers are created using LaTeX: it should be possible to do a LaTeX to ePub conversion with some pretty good results.
Yeah, if available, these would obviously be the better choice. But as far as I know, not all papers are uploaded containing the LaTeX sources, which is why I suggested PDF.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #17
laborg
Zealot
laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.

I bought the Cybook mainly for pdf files and am quite happy with the landscape-fit-to-width mode, but thats all useless when it crashes on larger pdfs. If I can get my hands on a sony reader, I will definitely sell my Cybook, becouse I'm fed up with the bookeen promise to bring a proper pdf support...
laborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2008, 08:20 AM   #18
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I just want the book delete button on my Cybook to work (Please Bookeen!!)
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:17 PM   #19
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laborg View Post
I bought the Cybook mainly for pdf files and am quite happy with the landscape-fit-to-width mode, but thats all useless when it crashes on larger pdfs. If I can get my hands on a sony reader, I will definitely sell my Cybook, becouse I'm fed up with the bookeen promise to bring a proper pdf support...
How big a PDF are we talking? I use some pretty big files on my Cybook and it has never crashed on me so far.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:03 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I just want the book delete button on my Cybook to work (Please Bookeen!!)
You don't actually need a delete eBook button for that ability to work. Sony just added a delete eBook function to the 505 and it works quite well. But it does seem silly to have such a button and for it not to actually work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2008, 02:24 PM   #21
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't actually need a delete eBook button for that ability to work. Sony just added a delete eBook function to the 505 and it works quite well. But it does seem silly to have such a button and for it not to actually work.

Don't it just? I mean, the Cybook "knows" what file extensions are related to the ebooks, images and music placed therein. So there's no excuse for not having a functioning "Delete" command or "Delete" button. And yes, given that they've got multi-level dialog boxes down pat, there's no excuse for not having a dialog box pop up, preset to "Cancel" or "No", which asks if the person is sure the file(s) should be deleted. This isn't exactly rocket science we're talking about.

At this point, given the delays upon delays, I'm pretty much sure that failure to add functionality to the "Delete" button is sheer laziness on the part of Bookeen. (I guess people can tell I'm not just a Bookeen shill after that statement. )

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:15 PM   #22
Boeboe
Boeboe began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3
Personally, I believe that -as epub grows in popularity- PDF e-book support will become less and less relevant in the future. The only reason e-books get published in PDF nowadays is because it is the format that almost everyone supports.

PDF reflowing shouldn't be a priority imo. Epub support on the other hand should be one of the highest priorities.

and about large pdf files....I have some comics converted to PDF that are easily over 100 meg in size. They take about 10 seconds to load and never crashed on my cybook.
Boeboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:16 PM   #23
Hanselda
Enthusiast
Hanselda began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook, Sony PRS 600
Judging from the firmware updating, I think Bookeen will never improve pdf support. They would rather like to deteriorate that!

I have the same issue with the PDF files, math, physics, formulas, figures staff. Now I convert all the pages of the pdf into images, then crop, resize and rotate to fit the Cybook screen, and the compile all the images into a single pdf. If the size of the image is the similar to the Cybook screen resolution the resulting pdf file will not crash the Cybook. Basically I let the computer to render the pdf files for the Cybook, the Cybook just do the display. I think this is a quite universal way to support whatever format you would like to use.
Hanselda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:52 AM   #24
Antonieb
Antonieb began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Cybook firmware updates are uterly crap

I really don't get why Bookeen isn't updating the Cybook at a much faster rate.

1 programmer should be able to update almost all requested features in notime. It is just plain crap that the PDF support isn't upgraded yet.. and a thing like the delete button.. lol it's really stupid.

It is great I can read some books, I will never go to a normal book again but If there will be other devices I will think twice before buying a Bookeen product and I will never tell friends to buy such a device
Antonieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #25
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
I do not agree here

I think the Cybook is an outstanding device now, with many features much ahead of the competition, some even no one talks about much of the time until they use it or loose it.
An example of this is the possibility to bold all the text, this is an amazing friendly option to read at night or in poor lighted places!
Another is the possibility to put as much fonts as you would want… hell I have one of my own handwriting in it just for the fun!

Also the Mobipocket reader in it is way ahead and more stable then the competition, and for much we would be pro ePub, the facto standard in eBooks reading now is the Mobipocket format (the Kindle format is just plain Mobipocket format with a twist!) and I do not see it going away soon!

Want one more? Just now can the Sony users (good for them!!!) read free eBooks in Pdf format from public libraries… you can do that with the Cybook in Mobipocket format since the begin of the year (when Bookeen put out the internal clock patch)!

I would not trade my Cybook now for anything but… once the Sony people managed to put out an upgrade that offers ePub (do not forget we are able to read unprotected ePub files now already via the Mobipocket Reader import ePub option) and Pdf reading that can reflow text, I want that too! They have proved it can be done!

And as it looks Bokeen is working in the ePub front (as I state above), I think it would be outstanding if we could have Pdf reading with the reflow option too.
Just popping them into the reader and not needing to pass the Pdf conversion hell.

The upgrades up to now have been minor, because the reader as been quite good from the beginning.
The thing is… now is the time to go ahead to the next level.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:53 AM   #26
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonieb View Post
I really don't get why Bookeen isn't updating the Cybook at a much faster rate.

1 programmer should be able to update almost all requested features in notime. It is just plain crap that the PDF support isn't upgraded yet.. and a thing like the delete button.. lol it's really stupid.

It is great I can read some books, I will never go to a normal book again but If there will be other devices I will think twice before buying a Bookeen product and I will never tell friends to buy such a device

PDF support sucks. Been there, done that. Time to move on. I researched e-ink readers for some time before settling on the Cybook. I liked the Cybook for one reason - it handled secure Mobi ebooks. I wasn't looking for a PDF viewer as that's not - at this time - it's strength.

I'm seriously hoping that Delete and Folder-navigation functionality are being added, and I'm sure that ePub is getting there, but I think I'll wait until I can buy a 9.7" model before I go looking for PDF support. And I believe it's been made quite clear here at MR that the current "champ" of PDF was the iLiad - far beyond my budget.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
PDF isn't an eBook format. Never has been, never will be.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:18 AM   #28
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Want one more? Just now can the Sony users (good for them!!!) read free eBooks in Pdf format from public libraries… you can do that with the Cybook in Mobipocket format since the begin of the year (when Bookeen put out the internal clock patch)!
How did they put out that patch? As far as I know there has been no information about this in the firmware releases. Yes, the information is available here but I do not count that as being officially available. Or have I missed the official Bookeen information that makes it possible to read library books?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:52 AM   #29
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
I'm sorry I just wanted to say: a solution is available.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:09 AM   #30
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
How did they put out that patch? As far as I know there has been no information about this in the firmware releases. Yes, the information is available here but I do not count that as being officially available. Or have I missed the official Bookeen information that makes it possible to read library books?
Look here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ry+book+cybook
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote