Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-20-2014, 11:18 PM   #1
Eguy
Eguy began at the beginning.

Device: more
Ereader for taking notes and Web browsing

Hello everyone this is my first post here. I have no idea about e readers at all. I've used lcd all my life. Now my eyes are sunken with dark circles and blurred vision for faraway objects. Doctor suggested me to be away from screen for 6 months at least. I don't watch tv at all just reading and note taking stuff on lcd devices. I recently came across e readers but I have no idea how to choose one?
I want an e reader with note taking(stylus)
and Wikipedia browsing mainly. though I also read pdf files given by the teachers but heavy note taking and drawing is my preference. I don't want an lcd one just something that doesn't hurt my eyes. Also is there any android based reader that allows me to install apps?

Price is a huge concern. My country applies huge taxes. A nexus 5 is 550$ and I phone is 1200$:'(
thank you
Eguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The kindle allows adding brief notes to ebooks and there is an app called notepad by 7Dragons that allows creating notes on the eink kindles but frankly you would be better off the old fashioned way with a pad of paper and pen.

The eink kindles are great for linear reading like fiction and some non-fiction. Not so good for textbooks where you need to flip from spot to spot.

But they are not tablets or computers. The things that you do on those devices like browsing the internet or notetaking just don't work really well on them. They are great for what they are made for but don't expect them to be mini computers.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Wikipedia shouldn't be a problem on an ereader. I can browse Wikipedia on my Kindle Touch (it even searches from within the book) and since it is a mostly-text site, with a nicely mobile-optimized site, it's quite snappy. And on that note, the 3G Kindle has unlimited access to Wikipedia in addition to the Kindle Store. (If your location has 3G coverage under Amazon's deal to begin with. They have a compatibility map, though.) But most websites will not do very well on any e-ink browser, so your mileage may vary!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:38 AM   #4
Eguy

I guess e readers isn't good enough for my needs then. is there any non backlit lcd tablet then? or any other solution? Most of my books are illustrated with complex diagrams.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:55 AM   #5
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Perhaps something with pixel qi screen. They aren't cheap, but maybe try finding used one.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
I guess e readers isn't good enough for my needs then. is there any non backlit lcd tablet then? or any other solution? Most of my books are illustrated with complex diagrams.
Old 8" ASUS Eee Note EA800, eBook Reader and Note Taker

" ...
The ASUS Eee Note EA800 is a very unique product. It’s an ebook reader and a digital notepad in one. It doesn’t have an E Ink screen, but it does have an 8-inch monochrome, non-backlit display with a respectable 768 x 1024 resolution and support for 64 levels of grey. It has a highly-sensitive Wacom touchscreen and includes a stylus for taking notes and drawing on the screen, which responds to 256 levels of pressure sensitivity.

The device is meant to be an all-in-one note-taking solution so it even includes a rear-mounted 2 megapixel camera, a voice recorder, 3.5mm headphone jack, and mono speaker. ... "

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=74

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MbO4B4wuZc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi8Hb_vmoJ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVj414jVvK4

Using k2pdfopt app to optimize A4-sized pdf for its landscape mode should easily solve the problem of annotation for a large-sized pdf pages without a need for zooming in.

Also using screenshots for exporting annotated pdf pages.

http://www.jessebandersen.com/2011/0...plication.html

Last edited by markom; 01-22-2014 at 12:25 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Not to be a smart alec but if LCD screens bother your eyes, and they would mine as well so I do sympathize, go back to the basics - pen & paper.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:07 AM   #8
Eguy

Is Sony t3 any good? Asus one is out of production and I can't buy it anymore. You can opt out note taking. I'll be using Android for that. My main need ia still Web browsing and reading. Big size is appreciated.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #9
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
Is Sony t3 any good? Asus one is out of production and I can't buy it anymore. You can opt out note taking. I'll be using Android for that. My main need ia still Web browsing and reading. Big size is appreciated.
As an ereader? Yes I think so but for your needs no. You're not going to find an ereader that's good for browsing. They're not meant for that. Some come with browser capability but it's very rudimentary and not a good experience for general web surfing.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:46 PM   #10
Eguy

So no hope for me I guess. I'm not into tablets or any other eye hurting device. I really want a paper like experience. :-(
Old 02-14-2014, 04:28 AM   #11
Heba
Connoisseur
Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle DX, Hanvon C18 and Sony Dpt-S1
Search on youtube for Sony 13.3 e ink. I guess that's what you are looking for.
Heba is offline   Reply With Quote