Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #151
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanchuloinfla View Post
Nick:

Thanks for the reply. Indeed it seems the problem was were pngnq was located. After digging up some posts via Google, I found the right place where to put it. Now that it is in the right place, I can successfully convert to lrf but the pdf to prc conversion is a no go. Instead, I get an html file that is blank.

This is seriously a good schooling on my VERY rusty Unix skills... I guess the purdy interface shields you out of the Terminal, at least in my case...

Cheers,

Roy
Good to hear!

I think the .prc issue arises because I use a windows executable to convert the resulting .html to .prc using a variant of tompe's mobi2html.pl from Mobiperl on Windows computers.

For MacOS X, you would need to edit 'output.py' and 'common.py' to replace the 'NRhtml2mobi' command with 'perl html2mobi.pl' perhaps. I don't know what will work in Terminal, but you need a command that will take a .html and build a .prc in MacOS X.

If you want, I could upload my modified perl script called 'NRhtml2mobi.pl'.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:17 AM   #152
ricanchuloinfla
ricanchuloinfla began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505, Kindle
If you're willing to upload it, I'm willing to give it a try! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Good to hear!

I think the .prc issue arises because I use a windows executable to convert the resulting .html to .prc using a variant of tompe's mobi2html.pl from Mobiperl on Windows computers.

For MacOS X, you would need to edit 'output.py' and 'common.py' to replace the 'NRhtml2mobi' command with 'perl html2mobi.pl' perhaps. I don't know what will work in Terminal, but you need a command that will take a .html and build a .prc in MacOS X.

If you want, I could upload my modified perl script called 'NRhtml2mobi.pl'.
ricanchuloinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2008, 07:45 AM   #153
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanchuloinfla View Post
If you're willing to upload it, I'm willing to give it a try! :-)
Attached is the MobiPerl version (as modified by me) used to create that NRhtml2mobi.exe for your use.

You may have to read the instructions on how to set up MobiPerl with MacOS X to get it to work properly.

Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: zip mod-mobiperl-0.0.37.zip (1.66 MB, 658 views)
Old 12-15-2008, 04:56 PM   #154
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
Quote:
EDIT: 14 Oct 2008 - FOR SONY USERS (fixed that Sony .lrf bug that stretched short pages!)
After executing the PDFRead Installer, from pdfread-MinFilter3-mod-bin.zip unzip the modified PDFRead 1.8.2.1 bin files (using the original MinFilter 3 dilate) into the bin directory and overwrite the existing files.
Should you wish to try the new MinFilter 5 dilate, unzip pdfread-MinFilter5-mod-bin.zip into the bin directory instead! (Note: you may have to increase the DPI to 500 when using the MinFilter 5 dilate to get acceptable results!)

Please help. I have installed PDFRead 1.8.2, but am am having trouble performing the update for Sony owners described above (I have a PRS-505). I downloaded the pdfread-MinFilter3-mod-bin.zip file and can unzip it in the winzip window, but cannot extract the files to the PDFRead program folders. I keep getting a message that the file cannot be opened.

Edit: Got it to work -- All is OK now.

Last edited by daesdaemar; 12-15-2008 at 05:05 PM.
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:03 AM   #155
Giangio
Giangio began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
Thumbs up Great stuff!

Hi,
I've recently bought a Bebook and I'd great problems to convert my IT Manuals (all of Wrox) for my reader from PDF...But somewhere I'd heard about this program so now I'm trying it...

So now my answer: it possible to create a specific profile for Bebook or I could continue to use the profile for Sony 505-p?
Giangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2008, 07:47 AM   #156
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giangio View Post
it possible to create a specific profile for Bebook or I could continue to use the profile for Sony 505-p?
If your BeBook has the same starting values/options as the Sony 505-p profile (i.e same Hres & Vres, Colors & Colorspace but just the Format/extension is wrong) consider starting with that profile and then changing whatever your Bebook needs for Out Format i.e. '.prc' instead of '.lrf'.

As long as you don't need to change those options consider THAT your customised profile (most options are "remembered" for the next conversion). To add a new profile would mean that the program would need to be recompiled with new functions added for the BeBook. If you can accopmplish the same thing with the above, then it wouldn't be necessary to do that.

If this fails, then just select 'html' as the Out Format and you can use that .html and (resized) images in the temporary directory created as your ebook.

Last edited by nrapallo; 12-20-2008 at 08:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #157
Giangio

Quote:
If your BeBook has the same starting values/options as the Sony 505-p profile (i.e same Hres & Vres, Colors & Colorspace but just the Format/extension is wrong) consider starting with that profile and then changing whatever your Bebook needs for Out Format i.e. '.prc' instead of '.lrf'.

As long as you don't need to change those options consider THAT your customised profile (most options are "remembered" for the next conversion). To add a new profile would mean that the program would need to be recompiled with new functions added for the BeBook. If you can accopmplish the same thing with the above, then it wouldn't be necessary to do that.

If this fails, then just select 'html' as the Out Format and you can use that .html and (resized) images in the temporary directory created as your ebook.

I dont understand very well but..I converted the file but the result isnt good, becouse the file it's too much small...now I'm tryng with prc-mobi-p profile and setting the size (h 800 v 600 but...800 is for height and 600 for width of my reader's screen??) and colorspace gray...

So now I'm trying to change edge level to build a right solution...or I'm wrong?

Could you help me?
Old 12-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #158
nrapallo

Quote:
Could you help me?
Sure, what format do you want the output to be in? .html or .prc?

What input format are you converting from .pdf? can you post it here?

What maximum size/color does your BeBook display pictures/images at? 600x800 may be the screen resolution, but after borders/bars are taken into account, what USEABLE screen size is left?

I'll try converting some samples for you to see what works better and then you can try it yourself.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #159
Giangio

Exclamation

Quote:
Sure, what format do you want the output to be in? .html or .prc?

What input format are you converting from .pdf? can you post it here?

What maximum size/color does your BeBook display pictures/images at? 600x800 may be the screen resolution, but after borders/bars are taken into account, what USEABLE screen size is left?

I'll try converting some samples for you to see what works better and then you can try it yourself.
For me HTML or PRC is indifferent or better...I suppose that's better HTML becouse I can use the page with Mobi Creator (isnt it?I'm not sure..)

Input is PDF but it's 30Mb...where can I put it? I can find another smaller...I can send it a link by mail? I prefered this solution...

For screen res...I dont know what to say becouse nowhere I found any info about this but only an article on Bebook that they suggest to reformart PDF pagewith ,54 x 4,72 inch (or 90x120mm)...the screen on the other hand has a small bar on the bottom but the screen is clear.

I'm trying to find some info about this.

Last edited by Giangio; 12-20-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #160
nrapallo

Quote:
I'm trying to find some info about this.

It's OK, I don't need your .pdf; I'll just show you using a sample .pdf from caritas' pi thread.

Below you will find two .prc ebooks (first 5 pages only and in landscape-half mode). One was created using the prc-mobi profile; the other using the psr505 profile. Both used .prc as the Out Format. (see the picture below)

See if there is any difference/preference; experiment if you need something better.

p.s. I zipped the .html and images used to make the 'chap6_prs505_profile.prc' and attach it below as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PDFRead-BeBook-test-using-prs505-profile.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	19511  
Attached Files
File Type: prc chap6_prc-mobi_profile.prc (489.3 KB, 450 views)
File Type: prc chap6_prs505_profile.prc (475.0 KB, 440 views)
File Type: pdf chap6.pdf (267.9 KB, 469 views)
File Type: zip pdfread-html.zip (427.0 KB, 411 views)
Old 12-21-2008, 06:11 AM   #161
Giangio

Cool Good result but..

I've tryed them and the only one I see rightly it's the prc-mobi profile, the other one has problem with edges and doesnt go to next page and if I try my bebook crashes!

With prc-mobi there is a problem(but..it's a problem?): the pagecount isnt right! For example, It's starts form 1 of 6, when it arrives at 6, I push next and then it change in 6 of 7 an go on....there is some other thing to set in the program?

Another question: I suppose that to see in the pdf rightly the only way it's on portrait but...I'll prefer to see it vertically and not horizontally but I suppose isnt possible...isnt it?
Old 12-21-2008, 08:14 AM   #162
nrapallo

Quote:
I've tryed them and the only one I see rightly it's the prc-mobi profile, the other one has problem with edges and doesnt go to next page and if I try my bebook crashes!
That tells me that the BeBook screen size for displaying images (like the PDFRead pages) is then better matched with the prc-mobi profile.

Quote:
With prc-mobi there is a problem(but..it's a problem?): the pagecount isnt right! For example, It's starts form 1 of 6, when it arrives at 6, I push next and then it change in 6 of 7 an go on....there is some other thing to set in the program?
For Layout Mode 'landscape-half ', each .pdf page is split into two page turms with Right Rotation. It takes two page flips for every "page" and has the TOC (table of contents) as page 1. The ebook contains 7 pages and BeBook should show those page references properly. If not, then that may be a firmware issue.

Quote:
Another question: I suppose that to see in the pdf rightly the only way it's on portrait but...I'll prefer to see it vertically and not horizontally but I suppose isnt possible...isnt it?
Sure it's possible, that's what the portrait profiles do (i.e. prc-mobi-p). The only problem is that for a 6" screen device it is VERY hard to read .pdf pages as images as the text is too small. When you read in landscape mode, then the page can be visually "increased" and that results in a bit larger text size. It's a trade-off: reading text size vs comfortable reading position!
Attached Files
File Type: prc chap6_prc-mobi-portrait_profile.prc (277.7 KB, 422 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 12-21-2008 at 09:39 AM. Reason: added attachment
Old 12-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #163
Giangio

Yes...I've understood but...there's something strange:I've tryed now your file but...It's looks like the pdf I create...There is a lot of space margin on the right and on the left...if there is a setting to change this so the image can be more great and the text readable...there is?
Old 12-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #164
nrapallo

Quote:
Yes...I've understood but...there's something strange:I've tryed now your file but...It's looks like the pdf I create...There is a lot of space margin on the right and on the left...if there is a setting to change this so the image can be more great and the text readable...there is?
No, the white space is the left over margin, that makes the image retain it's aspect ratio.

It works like this, say you have a 600x800 screen size (aspect ratio is 0.75 = 600/800). If you then want to display a 600x1200 image/page, and retain its aspect ratio of 0.5, you would then shrink both width and height by 0.667 = 800/1200 and get an image which is 400x800. But when displayed on the 600x800 screen it leaves a white border on the left and right of 100 each.

You can't stretch the resulting image of 400x800 to 600x800 to fill in that whitespace and retain the image's aspect ratio, so you have to "live" with it. If you do strech the image, then a circle will appear as an oval/egg and all the lettering will appear "fatter". It may be visually acceptable to you, but it is "theorectically" wrong to change the original image's aspect ratio.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #165
Giangio

Quote:
No, the white space is the left over margin, that makes the image retain it's aspect ratio.

It works like this, say you have a 600x800 screen size (aspect ratio is 0.75 = 600/800). If you then want to display a 600x1200 image/page, and retain its aspect ratio of 0.5, you would then shrink both width and height by 0.667 = 800/1200 and get an image which is 400x800. But when displayed on the 600x800 screen it leaves a white border on the left and right of 100 each.

You can't stretch the resulting image of 400x800 to 600x800 to fill in that whitespace and retain the image's aspect ratio, so you have to "live" with it. If you do strech the image, then a circle will appear as an oval/egg and all the lettering will appear "fatter". It may be visually acceptable to you, but it is "theorectically" wrong to change the original image's aspect ratio.
so..I started to thought that the best thing to see this damned pdf it's on landscape...isnt?