Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #16
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I saw blobs on my 5 previous paper whites but not this one. I still see shadows, but that's only in the bottom, blow the paragraphs.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Some suspect that certain people, once seeing the blobs, always see the blobs on any Paperwhite.
I think it's once you notice problems the first time, you then know what to look for on other PW's and if there, you notice it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Some suspect that certain people, once seeing the blobs, always see the blobs on any Paperwhite.
Irrelevant as far as the Germans are concerned as they just started getting them. Interesting how the German low rating is what is was in the USA. To me that indicates Amazon has made no effort to improve the PW at all, nor will they before generation 2, if then.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #19
mobilewilier
Connoisseur
mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Irrelevant as far as the Germans are concerned as they just started getting them. Interesting how the German low rating is what is was in the USA. To me that indicates Amazon has made no effort to improve the PW at all, nor will they before generation 2, if then.
Quote:
Some people may be more sensitive to the color blobs, but this does not take away from the fact that these blobs DO exist. I bought 3 PWs, one was perfect, one awful, and one acceptable. I am the same person looking at 3 devices side by side. It's undoubtedly a quality control issue from amazon!
mobilewilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #20
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
The cynic in me believes Amazon is happy to have the whatever-% of the sales that don't end up in a return. And damn the rest of us. All-in-all, not a way to treat loyal customers. I'm very tempted to look into a Nook and be done with Amazon as my book source...a big deal after purchasing nearly 4000 books from them over the past years.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #21
fauxpas
Connoisseur
fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW
I don't think they themselves are happy about it.. the other kindles are doing a lot better review-wise. But the demand is huge (if you ordered a kindle upon its release in Germany, it'll say that it'll ship in January), the tech is new (and is going to improve) and apparently many customers are content. Nevertheless, all the returns can't be that great, neither from a customer relations PoV nor from a business one.

Anyways, I know that if I do get a bad one, I can return it and receive a new one within a couple of days. Even if the rate of bad units is too high, amazon's customer service is awesome.
fauxpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #22
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

However, the prevalent opinion is that if you let Customer Service send you a replacement, it will be a "reconditioned" one, meaning a return from someone else. I since learned that the best likelihood of getting a "new" one is to buy it from a brick and mortar store, or return the bad one to Amazon for a refund, then buy another one outright -- avoiding Customer Service.

They're stuck with a load of bad ones. It makes sense that they need to dump them on other customers.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #23
fauxpas
Connoisseur
fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Keep us updated, fauxpas. I hope you got a good one.
So, I picked mine up today... I found it hard to take good pictures with my mobile's camera, but here you go:
Spoiler:

The first one was - I think - on 4/24 brightness, the second one is with full brightness (in what is nearly a pitch black room, it's dark outside but my curtains still let a tiny bit of light through). It certainly isn't perfect on lower brightness in a dark room but I don't think I'll notice that once I'm actually reading. I haven't done that yet, but I will, once I get that pdf-file cropped (trying to read a paper on syntax on my kindle.. the first pdf I briefly tried earlier actually worked fairly well)

So, I'm not sure that this really provides new insight.. except that I'm fairly happy with the screen. It looks fantastic in daylight and probably more than good enough in a dark room.
fauxpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #24
Michele
Addict

Thanks for the feedback! I decided on getting an iPad mini so I can have other lighting options in the Kindle App. Also, I know I'll be getting a good product.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #25
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
My theory is that we need to wait to see what the 'new wave' of PWs bring in late December. I don't think it is demand alone that has dried up supply, seems that they've had to temporarily shut down at least some production to address the issues. In the meantime the only devices out there are from the 'first wave' and with at least some exceptions there have been a lot of screen problems with these if the discussions here are representative. So I think it is premature to expect that there has been a true improvement in quality. At most they are weeding out the worst devices and biding time until the production issues are ironed out.

I'm pretty happy with my replacement PW, but frankly expected the screen to be better than it is. I'll probably consider (another) exchange next year, assuming there's evidence that the problems have been solved.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #26
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
My theory is that we need to wait to see what the 'new wave' of PWs bring in late December. I don't think it is demand alone that has dried up supply, seems that they've had to temporarily shut down at least some production to address the issues. In the meantime the only devices out there are from the 'first wave' and with at least some exceptions there have been a lot of screen problems with these if the discussions here are representative. So I think it is premature to expect that there has been a true improvement in quality. At most they are weeding out the worst devices and biding time until the production issues are ironed out.

I'm pretty happy with my replacement PW, but frankly expected the screen to be better than it is. I'll probably consider (another) exchange next year, assuming there's evidence that the problems have been solved.
This is where I'm at too. I'm fairly happy with my replacement, but I will definitely get a new PW next year when the next release comes out, providing all the issues are resolved.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #27
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

Wow I didn't know they shut down some of the production. I have had mine a few weeks, and no problems, other than the shadows down at the bottom. I think Kindle management is a bit arrogant not mentioning that. I have a love hate relationship with them (like Apple). I really do love their products, but the Paperwhite they built up so much that of course even with their good product it isn't what they advertised.

Still I am lucky to have a good unit. I will hold on to this unit for a few years. Money doesn't grow on my trees

Last edited by new; 12-03-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: typos as usual
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #28
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
I picked up a PW the day before Thanksgiving at Staples for my wife's birthday. There is an unevenness in the lighting but not as drastic as the photos that I've seen. The reading experience has been fine in a pitch dark room... obviously not as even as a backlit LCD screen but far, far better than an eink screen with a clip on book light.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #29
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Wow I didn't know they shut down some of the production. I have had mine a few weeks, and no problems, other than the shadows down at the bottom. I think Kindle management is a bit arrogant not mentioning that. I have a love hate relationship with them (like Apple). I really do love their products, but the Paperwhite they built up so much that of course even with their good product it isn't what they advertised.

Still I am lucky to have a good unit. I will hold on to this unit for a few years. Money doesn't grow on my trees
Note that I didn't claim to know anything about shutting down production. It is just 'as if' they had. Maybe it is just that they are diverting supply to other markets (Europe, Japan). But it seems odd that you can't get a PW from Amazon before Christmas in Amazon's primary market, the USA. They are losing sales that will never come their way again (unless it is part of some plan to sell more Kindle Fires). I'm sure the reasons are more complicated than I can imagine however.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-04-2012 at 02:03 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #30
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I saw one today in Best Buy finally, screen lighting was very uneven. Could see different colors on the screen, also did not like the shadows on the bottom. The uneven lighting makes it a no go for me, my eyes are fussy about that.

On the plus side, loved the feel of the screen, and the color temperature of the light is much better and whiter than the lighted Nook, which is quite blue. Contrast and crispness of text, very nice.

Would miss page turning buttons though, I read one-handed a lot and I don't like to tap to turn pages, causes pain after a while.

Will stick with my Sony readers, with the lighted covers, light is not a problem, nor one-handed reading. Further, dictionary access seemed quite slow on the Paperwhite. I was surprised by that!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote