Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #16
slowfax
Connoisseur
slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.

Device: miflalmXD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkl View Post
Warning added, in red!?
:-)

Quote:
How about applying the undo package directly from the SD card, i.e., putting the tmp and updates folder along with "PRS-T1 Updater.package" in the root of the sd card and then doing the home+menu reboot thing?
This method doesn't work either :-(
Old 01-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #17
slowfax
Connoisseur
slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.

Quote:
Warning added, in red!
I see, it is still listed under "Tweaks for non-rooted devices" on https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...#Database_hack.
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfax View Post
I see, it is still listed under "Tweaks for non-rooted devices" on https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...#Database_hack.
historic reasons, in a way. The database hack was the first step and did not need rooting. I will shift it asap.

Speaking about reboot, there seems to be different ways of booting.
I don't have enough insight, but I also experienced this issue, that the reader did not pick up the sd-card rescue set. Only when I managed to bring it to a complete halt (power off) and then coldboot, it worked. Could it be, that the bootloader (I guess, that's the authority, which triggers the update from sd) only gets active at coldboot but not reboot?
Did you try pressing reset and power button at the same time and hold? (like described here), that did the trick for me.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
Morkl
Connoisseur
Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venzent View Post
Does the "continu reading" work when using a non-default reader like FBreader. The stock homescreen works only with the default reader.

Edit:
What also would be nice, I use the picture of the book I'm currently reading as the screensaver, this also works only with the default reader, would be nice if it works with FBreader.
Do you mean the top portion of the homescreen? It seems to work with FBreader; but so does my stock homescreen?

Screensaver idea goes straight to the list of things to fix
Old 01-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #20
slowfax
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
Could it be, that the bootloader (I guess, that's the authority, which triggers the update from sd) only gets active at coldboot but not reboot?
Thanks for the answer.
I also tried this method. I could power the T1 off. It didn't change anything :-(
I think I will have to send the device to Sony.
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #21
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
What I really find stunning is the fact, that the bootloader seems to not pick up the trigger for update from sd. But how on earth is it possible to damage the bootloader from the system side?

wiki is updated.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #22
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
Quote:
Do you mean the top portion of the homescreen? It seems to work with FBreader; but so does my stock homescreen?

Screensaver idea goes straight to the list of things to fix
I have code which could be called from any reader application which makes top portion of the screen as well as standby screen and book lists to work properly (Morkl, let me know if interested). At the moment I am looking on how to integrate this with CoolReader, I am sure this could be done with FB2Reader as well. The reason why reader application needs to follow some rules and it can not be done properly just in home page or content manager code is rather simple - you could open new book from inside of reading application completely bypassing Sony's code.

The reason why it looks like top portion of the home screen (and sometimes standby screen) is working is also rather simple - when book is selected via home page existing code updates last reading time in the database. When book is launched from book lists (content manager) - last reading time is not updated at all. During reboot (or when book is opened in the stock reader) standby screen is reconstructed on the fly from last reading time (there is no file to write). So you will see some really inconsistent screen saver behavior (applicable for "new" icon too).

I also have content manager (EbookContentManager.apk) which properly understands FB2 format (thumbnails and meta information) so maybe we should combine the efforts somewhat?
Old 01-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #23
Morkl
Connoisseur
Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupor View Post
I have code which could be called from any reader application which makes top portion of the screen as well as standby screen and book lists to work properly (Morkl, let me know if interested). At the moment I am looking on how to integrate this with CoolReader, I am sure this could be done with FB2Reader as well. The reason why reader application needs to follow some rules and it can not be done properly just in home page or content manager code is rather simple - you could open new book from inside of reading application completely bypassing Sony's code.

The reason why it looks like top portion of the home screen (and sometimes standby screen) is working is also rather simple - when book is selected via home page existing code updates last reading time in the database. When book is launched from book lists (content manager) - last reading time is not updated at all. During reboot (or when book is opened in the stock reader) standby screen is reconstructed on the fly from last reading time (there is no file to write). So you will see some really inconsistent screen saver behavior (applicable for "new" icon too).

I also have content manager (EbookContentManager.apk) which properly understands FB2 format (thumbnails and meta information) so maybe we should combine the efforts somewhat?
You are right indeed - in a perfect world every reader app would update the last read time and things would Just Work. That is, however, not quite the case (but it is great that support is being added to the reader apps, of course).

By updating the last read time whenever a book is launched from the screen or content manager, things should work most of the time for any reader as long as the home screen and content manager are the primary ways of browsing books. It's not perfect, but I think it's better than not supporting third party readers (that haven't been modified to support the Sony books db) at all

I would love to take a look at that content manager of yours! Does it work with the Sony Reader PC software as well? I haven't even begun working with the content related ideas, but it would be nice to bring FB2 support to wherever it is possible
Old 01-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #24
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
By updating the last read time whenever a book is launched from the screen or content manager, things should work most of the time for any reader as long as the home screen and content manager are the primary ways of browsing books.
I am not sure With last reading time home screen will definitely reflect it. Standby screen however is entirely other matter - my understanding is that the only time reader re-generates standby screen from last reading time reliably is when you are rebooting the device. In normal life this happens (or should happen) quite infrequently.

On the other hand adding such notification in every place where book could be launched (both in Home and in Content Manager) although certainly possible will cause multiple overlapping operations which are quite expensive...

From what I now there are 2 major FB2 readers on Android - both are free and easily modifiable. My code (in case of success) would be freely available from sourceforge, and the changes are quite simple. So I really see no reason not to hope that it can be done "the right way"

Quote:
I would love to take a look at that content manager of yours! Does it work with the Sony Reader PC software as well? I haven't even begun working with the content related ideas, but it would be nice to bring FB2 support to wherever it is possible
You could download it from here and it is pretty much work in progress - I am planning to change the ways collections are supported too. It does not change anything which is standard for Sony, so I do not see why it should not work with ReaderPC.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #25
Morkl
Connoisseur

Quote:
I am not sure With last reading time home screen will definitely reflect it. Standby screen however is entirely other matter - my understanding is that the only time reader re-generates standby screen from last reading time reliably is when you are rebooting the device. In normal life this happens (or should happen) quite infrequently.

On the other hand adding such notification in every place where book could be launched (both in Home and in Content Manager) although certainly possible will cause multiple overlapping operations which are quite expensive...

From what I now there are 2 major FB2 readers on Android - both are free and easily modifiable. My code (in case of success) would be freely available from sourceforge, and the changes are quite simple. So I really see no reason not to hope that it can be done "the right way"
I agree that the screensaver shouldn't be regenerated unnecessarily every time a book is launched; but what if the screensaver itself is updated to regenerate on startup when the book it was generated from last is not the latest read one? A slight delay shouldn't be a problem when the unit is going into standby, should it?

Quote:
You could download it from here and it is pretty much work in progress - I am planning to change the ways collections are supported too. It does not change anything which is standard for Sony, so I do not see why it should not work with ReaderPC.
Great, thanks, I'll take a look when I've straightened this pesky app launcher out
Old 01-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #26
rupor
meat popsicle

Quote:
I agree that the screensaver shouldn't be regenerated unnecessarily every time a book is launched; but what if the screensaver itself is updated to regenerate on startup when the book it was generated from last is not the latest read one? A slight delay shouldn't be a problem when the unit is going into standby, should it?
It is easier that that - standby picture is set (and it's generation is requested) by settings as the result of intent broadcast. It could keep last _id for which picture is generated and check if the id is different and only initiate generation if necessary. Then content manager and home page could both initiate screensaver update. Unfortunately it does not plug all the holes (and leaves the question of how many places book could be launched from - at least in content manager there are many). I will take a look at the code anyway...
Old 01-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #27
Morkl
Connoisseur

Quote:
It is easier that that - standby picture is set (and it's generation is requested) by settings as the result of intent broadcast. It could keep last _id for which picture is generated and check if the id is different and only initiate generation if necessary. Then content manager and home page could both initiate screensaver update. Unfortunately it does not plug all the holes (and leaves the question of how many places book could be launched from - at least in content manager there are many). I will take a look at the code anyway...
I don't know about the ContentManager, but EbookHome has a launchBook method that is used whenever a book is to be launched. I would expect the ContentManager to behave similarly.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #28
Morkl
Connoisseur

v5

New release: v5 is all about app launcher configurability.

http://morkl.se/reader/homemod_v5.zip

Changes:
  • Favourite apps above 3rd page app drawer as suggested by robyshot. Todo: make the app drawer itself consist of static screens instead of animated scrolling mess.
  • System apps (or any apps whose paths be matched by one or several configurable regular expressions) hidden in app drawer
  • Custom configurable categories on the app screen
  • New configuration file with better structure: homemod.xml replaces extapps.xml and allapps.xml

Cheers!

Edit: Added screenshots of app screen and app drawer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	app_drawer.png
Views:	1062
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	81148   Click image for larger version

Name:	app_screen.png
Views:	1006
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	81149  

Last edited by Morkl; 01-12-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #29
rupor
meat popsicle

Quote:
I don't know about the ContentManager, but EbookHome has a launchBook method that is used whenever a book is to be launched. I would expect the ContentManager to behave similarly.
In ContentManager each activity has its own launchBook method with slightly different bodies - which totals 5

By the way settings module remembers path to the last book it used to setup standby screen - so it should be safe to call it multiple times for the same book.

So after last reading time is properly set - you just need to do

Intent intent = new Intent("android.intent.action.book_selected");
sendBroadcast(intent);

to update standby picture from home page.

Last edited by rupor; 01-12-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:41 AM   #30
j0534ng31
Connoisseur
j0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-T1 black
There is no v5 link in the first post
Closed Thread