Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #16
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
emilikins - I've been very pleased with the Vizio for the three weeks I've had it. I haven't used it a great deal, but the battery life seems decent and most apps seem to run with no problem. I don't anticipate using a huge number of apps, so I doubt that storage space for apps will become an issue. I've tried and returned several other tablets under $300, but the Vizio is the only one that I might actually keep - and now it's under $200. It may not be perfect, but it seems to offer what I need. If they do come out with a fix for the memory issue, so much the better, but it's a decent tablet even if they don't.

I experimented actually moving an app to the SD card using Astro and had no difficulty running it, but I moved it back to the device since I have so few apps right now. But I believe it would work fine for most apps that allow use of the SD card.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:07 AM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'm still soooo tempted to pick one of these up....Costco (just down the street) has the same under $200 price....almost worth it as just a TV/Living room tablet....particularly if it would act as a remote for my TV (vizio) - laptop DVR - Stereo - DVD player...

wonder what Costco's Return Policy is on these....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #18
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'm still soooo tempted to pick one of these up....Costco (just down the street) has the same under $200 price....almost worth it as just a TV/Living room tablet....particularly if it would act as a remote for my TV (vizio) - laptop DVR - Stereo - DVD player...

wonder what Costco's Return Policy is on these....
Costco's return policy on Electronics has been 90 days. But I would double check if you buy one just to be sure.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'm doing my best to talk myself out of even doing this.....

Thanks!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #20
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

Device: Acer Iconia a500, XP tablet PC
Quote:

Thanks!

There will be other sales on other devices later in the month.

Does that help?

The $99 pandigital is somewhat tempting since it is only $100.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #21
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
There will be other sales on other devices later in the month.

Does that help?

The $99 pandigital is somewhat tempting since it is only $100.
Which Pandigital is it?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #22
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:

Thanks!
Let the 'Force' guide you Luke....I mean Kenny.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #23
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

Device: Acer Iconia a500, XP tablet PC
Sorry, $80
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155860

I would suggest looking around some of the android forums for updated operating systems, pretty sure a few exist if you are willing to do some leg work. And at $80 it may be worth playing with, it's still on my consideration list to see what I can do to it after I receive it. This is one of those items that should not be considered as a real device, it should be considered an Android experimentation tool where consequences of bricking and low due to the cost.

Last edited by Greg_E; 11-07-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
Sorry, $80
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155860

I would suggest looking around some of the android forums for updated operating systems, pretty sure a few exist if you are willing to do some leg work. And at $80 it may be worth playing with, it's still on my consideration list to see what I can do to it after I receive it. This is one of those items that should not be considered as a real device, it should be considered an Android experimentation tool where consequences of bricking and low due to the cost.
Thanks. It's too low of Android version for me. I had my eye on the Nova for awhile but it hasn't gotten to many good reviews.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #25
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
I've ordered one of the Vizio tablets, now that my second Coby Kyros tablet has exhibited the same terrible wifi performance as the first one.

Didn't get the $198 price point, sadly, but I didn't pay too much more.

With a 4:3 screen and Android Market out of the box, I look forward to the box arriving in the mail.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #26
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
JAcheson - I think you'll enjoy your Vizio. I tried various other inexpensive tablets (including the Coby Kyros), but never found one I thought was worth keeping, as they all had some area where performance was very weak, particularly battery life. Today, I was listening to music while playing Solitaire and doing occasional web surfing and downloading of new apps. I used it for approximately 2 hours, yet I still had 71% of the battery left, so I likely could have continued using it for another 4 hours plus. The screen is very clear, much better than some of the other inexpensive tablets I tried.

Overall, I think you'll be quite pleased with your Vizio. Enjoy!

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #27
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
It would be the IR that would sell me on the Vizio. As I said, my portable tab would remain my 7" Samsung, as it fits in my pocket; but a coffee table tab having a TV remote app would be awsome. I only wish the remote app had better reviews.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #28
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I've been thinking of an Android Tablet just to play with. My main tablet is an iPad2. I don't think the Kindle fire will let me use the Android market with it. There is also a new Nook coming out. While I was at my Costco I thought it had an 8GB drive but the online add post 2GB. I wonder if it has more than one size of HD space.

Note: It appears it has 4GB but only 2 is usable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vizio.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	78767   Click image for larger version

Name:	vizio2.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	78768  

Last edited by pagansoul; 11-08-2011 at 10:20 AM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #29
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
JAcheson - I think you'll enjoy your Vizio. I tried various other inexpensive tablets (including the Coby Kyros), but never found one I thought was worth keeping, as they all had some area where performance was very weak, particularly battery life. Today, I was listening to music while playing Solitaire and doing occasional web surfing and downloading of new apps. I used it for approximately 2 hours, yet I still had 71% of the battery left, so I likely could have continued using it for another 4 hours plus. The screen is very clear, much better than some of the other inexpensive tablets I tried.

Overall, I think you'll be quite pleased with your Vizio. Enjoy!

SteveK
Thanks, Steve! I will post to this thread and let people know what I think of it.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #30
JAcheson
Tech Writer

My Vizio tablet arrived today. WOW! This thing is on a whole different level compared to the cheap tablets.

I've only had it a little while, but so far I think it's nicer than my Nook Color, and I'm a big fan of the Nook Color.