Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #16
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The command line-fu is just isanely step by step, IMNSHO. Assuming you know how to mange files on your system of choice, be it Windows, Mac, Linux, BSD, whatever, all you need to know is: Unzip the contents of the update file into the .kobo directory of your Kobo.

If that's confusing, then perhaps you are better off waiting to use the Desktop app
Yeah it isn't hard, but not everyone grew up in the commandline generation. Unless you are say a nix user it's something people touch less and less these days (and even distros like Ubuntu have made that even a less obvious assumption.)

For example I don't believe Windows 7 has a commandline unzip tool (let alone curl), no problem use GUI/explorer, or 7zip or something but it's not entirely step-by-step if you arn't on a mac.

Last edited by molman; 09-01-2011 at 10:30 PM.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #17
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by molman View Post
Yeah it isn't hard, but not everyone grew up in the commandline generation. Unless you are say a nix user it's something people touch less and less these days (and even distros like Ubuntu have made that even a less obvious assumption.)

For example I don't believe Windows 7 has a commandline unzip tool (let alone curl), no problem use GUI/explorer, or 7zip or something but it's not entirely step-by-step if you arn't on a mac.
You're missing my point.. No command line is necessary whatsoever. Heck, all GUI desktop environemnts I know of these days all have unzip functoin built right in.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2011, 10:36 PM   #18
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
You're missing my point.. No command line is necessary whatsoever. Heck, all GUI desktop environemnts I know of these days all have unzip functoin built right in.
I did miss your point. Just reread the steps. Fair enough.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #19
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
@Peter 1.9.11 is soon but not that soon We have not stopped rolling out 1.9.10 at all, it's just not available to everyone yet.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:44 AM   #20
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
Looks like Australia hasn't been invited to the upgrade party yet.

If it hasn't landed by this evening I'll probably upgrade manually as detailed in this thread.
The party's missing New Zealand as well. Perhaps we could organise our own event - in fact, a rugby ball and a world cup could come as well. Then again, we probably don't need to waste time - NZ will win anyway.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 03:09 AM   #21
molman
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
NZ will win anyway.
That will be novel. Want a shiny second like us and the saffers? guess people need hope
Old 09-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #22
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The party's missing New Zealand as well. Perhaps we could organise our own event - in fact, a rugby ball and a world cup could come as well. Then again, we probably don't need to waste time - NZ will win anyway.
You should be getting upgrades too. Where did you purchase your Kobo Touch?
Old 09-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #23
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Hi Sameer most of us in Australia and New Zealand purchased our Touches online from Borders in the US. For about 6 weeks after the launch they offered international shipping.

My upgrade was finally available this morning about 30 hours after I received the email from Customer Support telling me that I needed to upgrade to get rid of my Storage Error problem.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #24
SameerH
Product Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
Hi Sameer most of us in Australia and New Zealand purchased our Touches online from Borders in the US. For about 6 weeks after the launch they offered international shipping.

My upgrade was finally available this morning about 30 hours after I received the email from Customer Support telling me that I needed to upgrade to get rid of my Storage Error problem.
Ok thanks. Glad you got the update and it works. Sorry about the customer care mixup, we should have known that you would not be getting the upgrade until today.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #25
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by molman View Post
That will be novel. Want a shiny second like us and the saffers? guess people need hope
Who needs hope - you or me? We just have a squad of fit young things (who do occasionally choke I must admit, we have been known to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory)

(sorry, off topic - back to kobo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
You should be getting upgrades too. Where did you purchase your Kobo Touch?
SameerH, like Hayley, I also got mine from Borders US. My 1.9.10 upgrade arrived this morning so I'm all good now - hopefully storage errors gone for good.

Thanks

Last edited by kiwipippa; 09-02-2011 at 06:44 PM.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #26
molman
Evangelist

Quote:
Who needs hope - you or me? We just have a squad of fit young things (who do occasionally choke I must admit, we have been known to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory)

(sorry, off topic - back to kobo)

All I'll say is if you can't win this thing at home with another inform, number one team I don't know when you will again.

As to the topic, good to hear you both now have your update. Hope that solves the issues you both were having.