Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-22-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Vizio 8" Android Tablet

This looks interesting, particularly since I have a Vizio TV. 4:3 aspect ratio-why? and 3 speakers!

Vizio, the budget-friendly television maker known for great prices and quality technology, just proved it is possible to create an Android tablet with few compromises for $350 with the launch of its 8″ slate today. I got a first look at the device at the CEA Line Show in New York City yesterday afternoon so here are some early photos and specs.

The Vizio VTAB1008 tablet has a 8″ 1024×768 capacitive touch screen display with a 4:3 aspect ratio that is more typical of standard TV content than widescreen movies. When I first saw the screen, it immediately made me think of Barnes & Noble’s Nook Touch, which is also slightly wider than other e-readers. It is powered by a 1 GHz processor with 512 MB of RAM and 2 GB of internal storage that can be expanded via the external SD card reader that can accept up to a 32 GB card.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetrevi...-updated/25740

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-8-Inch-T.../dp/B005B9G79I
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
If you spend $30 more, you can get the Asus eee Transformer.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

True, but it probably doesn't integrate as well with my Vizio TV.

And if you use the Staples coupon.....
Old 07-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I had completely forgotten about Vizio releasing a tablet. I saw some teaser ad some time back and thought that it was just some kind of spiffy remote, not so much a tablet.

I like Vizio for a middle-of-the-road HDTV manufacturer, and some of their sets carry good bang-for-buck. If I still had one as a main-tv, I'd probably be more inclined to check out their tablet. But, alas, we only have one of their tiny ones in the bedroom, and I can't even remember the last time it was on.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
kennyc

Well yesterday I watched the Space shuttle TV coverage of the landing on my Xoom Tablet. Think about it like that. That's also why I scratch my head about the 4:3 aspect ratio, you'd think an HD TV manufacturer would go that route and do a 16:9 tablet.....strange if you ask me.
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
This looks interesting
i posted something on it the other day:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143676
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
i posted something on it the other day:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143676
And not a single damn was given.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
And not a single damn was given.
Actually, it says 100+ people viewed the thread...and its gone up since I posted the link.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur

Oh, you're right. I mean, look at all that discussion in your thread about the Vizio tablet!

Oh, wait...
Old 07-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #10
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Oh, you're right. I mean, look at all that discussion
It's about as substantive as the one in this thread.

Really, it's ok. I'm just putting the knowledge out there.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
It's about as substantive as the one in this thread.

Really, it's ok. I'm just trolling.
Any discussion (prior to your "ME TOO!" post) > no discussion. Pure and simple.

And, we know. It's your schtick, and it's old.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
RockdaMan
Banned

Posting Guidelines
Old 07-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
STOP IT. All of you (and you know who you are) stop this nonsense NOW.

If this goes on, there are a number of people here who will be taking a lengthy leave of absence from MobileRead. There will be no further warnings.

Take heed and repent.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
True, but it probably doesn't integrate as well with my Vizio TV.

And if you use the Staples coupon.....
It integrates with other Vizio products? Oooh. i didn't know that.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #15
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It integrates with other Vizio products? Oooh. i didn't know that.
Apparently it has I/R built in, not sure how "integrated" it is though.